Author Topic: Helmet help  (Read 386 times)

Offline mr72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • World Superbike Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
Re: Helmet help
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2019, 01:29:13 PM »
Sounds to me like the evidence is that you can't discern white from hi-viz yellow in your peripheral vision, so in that case white is probably just as good. But I'd like to see the evidence that hi-viz yellow is actually worse in any case for visibility than white. I think nobody wants to do that study because motorcyclists don't want to buy hi-viz helmets. I still contend this is mostly vanity, we think hi-viz helmets look dumb so we talk ourselves into believing white is just as good or drivers will never notice you anyway so you might as well wear whatever color you want and be magic in avoiding collisions. I'm still not convinced and would prefer a hi-viz helmet if possible.

It all doesn't matter though because among all of the upgrade helmets I am considering, none are available either in bright yellow or hi-viz. So I'm going to have to stick with white and hope you guys are right.

IDK why the Shoei RF-SR is not available in yellow at all, even though the GT-Air is. well anyway. months from now I'll be much more serious about picking. I have a while to decide. Next few days I'm going to work on my foot peg lowering on the GS500, which I now have a solid design plan for.

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • MotoGP Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach and Moto Enthusiast!
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2019, 05:36:25 AM »
IDK why the Shoei RF-SR is not available in yellow at all, even though the GT-Air is.

Probably because the RFSR is Shoei's "budget" or "entry level" helmet.  They stuck mostly to neutral colors like black, white, and grey/silver, colors that can appeal to a wider audience than a more discerning customer.  The matte blue and metallic orange are oddballs, but since the matte blue has appeared on both the Neotec 2 and now the GT-Air 2 it seems to be a standard color moving forward.
The orange I guess was a bid for the HD crowd, as the RFSR is also marketed as a cruiser/upright-ride helmet.

That said, I don't think the yellow was a good seller in general.  Although it was available on the RF1200, GT Air, and Neotec, it was only carried on to the GT Air 2 so far, and I am honestly surprised it was.  I would guess the future RF1400 would not have yellow either, I figured they would have discontinued it entirely, especially considering how few motorcycles are yellow these days.

But, the Neotec 2 and GT Air 2 each have a graphic available with Hi-Viz accents.  The previous versions also had Hi-Viz graphics.  Apparently there is a more a market for that color in the touring customer.

Hey, with the popularity of the RFSR (we sell markedly more of these than other models) Shoei just might expand their schemes.
If they do a graphic on an RFSR I'm likely going to buy another one for myself.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 05:48:24 AM by Watcher »
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Offline mr72

• World Superbike Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 09:33:36 PM »
Well, now this is annoying.

Today when I closed my visor to take off from a stop light the little visor screw/knob thing apparently popped off and went into oblivion on one side.

Freakin' Cycle Gear wants $18 for a pair of replacements. The odds of me paying--let me be clear here--TEN PERCENT OF THE COST OF THE HELMET[/b] for a part that flew off on its own are pretty slim. But I need a helmet like right freaking now. So I'm about to go buy a new helmet unless CG will give me a replacement visor knob for free.

I really wanted to wait until my weight was down another 10-15 lb before having to commit to a new helmet. I guess CG's quality control had another plan.

Offline IdaSuzi

• Local Club Racer
  • Broke College Student
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 12:41:02 AM »
Sorry to hear about that. That is really too bad it isn't more affordable or even still under warranty. Hopefully you can find a good helmet that has replaceable cheek pads so that if you do purchase a helmet and lose another 10-15 lbs you will be able to swap to some smaller cheek pads if needed. Best of luck! Looking forward on hearing about your decision!
1998 RM125
1995 RM250
1999 Yamaha Banshee (Kind of a bike???)
1993 DR350
2008 GS500F naked conversion, Kat 600 shock, Yoshi Pipe, Progressive Springs, 20/62.5/140 rejet,

Offline mr72

• World Superbike Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 02:56:58 PM »
Well, generally good news, and Watcher should be a little less annoyed with the local CG.

I went to try and get a replacement visor screw and they actually had a non-Sedici brand improved visor screw that fit perfectly, $3 for a pair. The guy at the shop said the Strada is their best selling "midrange" helmet and this visor-screw-popped-off is a common problem, he found a source of better screws at a way lower price and ordered a ton, keeps them in stock. That's a win!

I also mentioned to him about my top-of-head pain and he said "oh hey, that's easy to fix!" and promptly disassembled my helmet liner and removed a layer of foam from a spot on the front. We shall see whether this fixes it.

While I was there I also tried on a couple of helmets. Tried the RF-SR and the Large was just a hair loose. The guy at the shop suggested that I'd probably need to get some replacement pads to make it fit perfectly. OTOH I tried a RF-1200 and it was just a touch smaller and actually fit pretty much perfect. I think the RF-1200 is not much more expensive than the RF-SR plus whatever fit kit would need to be added. And the RF-1200 comes in yellow.

So now I have the ability to keep riding with my Sedici for another couple of months and a $500 helmet is on my wish list. Which I guess is good, as long as I am ok spending $500 on a helmet.

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • MotoGP Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach and Moto Enthusiast!
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 08:07:49 PM »
@mr72

You're lucky if you've had the helmet for a few years and only now experienced the shield screw popping off.
It is a common issue.  Not as much of a "quality control" issue as it is a poor design.
Most commonly we see it with people who swap between dark and clear visors, as they tend to wear down the locking tabs and the screws don't secure as tightly anymore.

I'm guessing that associate recommended the Bilt Techno screws with the latch to lock them.in place.  I'm surprised he was able to secure "a ton".  I'm always struggling to keep them in stock.
Though now that I'm thinking about it, there's also a Speed and Strength helmet that shares the same baseplate.  He may have been able to order a bunch of those.

Here's hoping with that layer of foam removed it helps some, but if it's already moving around up there removing foam to me would not be a good idea.
You said it wasn't forehead pain, that's what removing that piece of foam is designed to alleviate.

The RF1200 is about $100 more than the RFSR, and for that money you get a lighter, slightly more aerodynamic helmet with more ventilation.
It's commonly referred to as Shoei's "Goldilocks" helmet.  Smack in the middle of their lineup for price and features, it works well for almost everyone.

They sell cheek pads and helmet liners in multiple sizes to "fine tune" the fit, if necessary, but Shoei designs their helmets to break in to fit best.
My general rule is a helmet shouldn't ever fit "perfect" out of box, it should always be a hair on the tight side of snug so that it's not too loose after break in.
I'm also not one to suggest immediately buying different sized pads, you should wear the helmet for a while then decide if you need different pads for it.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Offline Bluesmudge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 09:09:39 PM »
That's very important advice about fit! It should be borderline uncomfortable out of the box. After ~1,000 miles you will have a helmet that fits like a glove.
If some helmets are too big in size L you may actually need a medium.
Imagine doing a head check at 120 mph. Your helmet should not move.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 09:13:34 PM by Bluesmudge »