Author Topic: Helmet help  (Read 922 times)

Offline mr72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
Re: Helmet help
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2019, 01:29:13 PM »
Sounds to me like the evidence is that you can't discern white from hi-viz yellow in your peripheral vision, so in that case white is probably just as good. But I'd like to see the evidence that hi-viz yellow is actually worse in any case for visibility than white. I think nobody wants to do that study because motorcyclists don't want to buy hi-viz helmets. I still contend this is mostly vanity, we think hi-viz helmets look dumb so we talk ourselves into believing white is just as good or drivers will never notice you anyway so you might as well wear whatever color you want and be magic in avoiding collisions. I'm still not convinced and would prefer a hi-viz helmet if possible.

It all doesn't matter though because among all of the upgrade helmets I am considering, none are available either in bright yellow or hi-viz. So I'm going to have to stick with white and hope you guys are right.

IDK why the Shoei RF-SR is not available in yellow at all, even though the GT-Air is. well anyway. months from now I'll be much more serious about picking. I have a while to decide. Next few days I'm going to work on my foot peg lowering on the GS500, which I now have a solid design plan for.

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • MotoGP Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach and Moto Enthusiast!
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2019, 05:36:25 AM »
IDK why the Shoei RF-SR is not available in yellow at all, even though the GT-Air is.

Probably because the RFSR is Shoei's "budget" or "entry level" helmet.  They stuck mostly to neutral colors like black, white, and grey/silver, colors that can appeal to a wider audience than a more discerning customer.  The matte blue and metallic orange are oddballs, but since the matte blue has appeared on both the Neotec 2 and now the GT-Air 2 it seems to be a standard color moving forward.
The orange I guess was a bid for the HD crowd, as the RFSR is also marketed as a cruiser/upright-ride helmet.

That said, I don't think the yellow was a good seller in general.  Although it was available on the RF1200, GT Air, and Neotec, it was only carried on to the GT Air 2 so far, and I am honestly surprised it was.  I would guess the future RF1400 would not have yellow either, I figured they would have discontinued it entirely, especially considering how few motorcycles are yellow these days.

But, the Neotec 2 and GT Air 2 each have a graphic available with Hi-Viz accents.  The previous versions also had Hi-Viz graphics.  Apparently there is a more a market for that color in the touring customer.

Hey, with the popularity of the RFSR (we sell markedly more of these than other models) Shoei just might expand their schemes.
If they do a graphic on an RFSR I'm likely going to buy another one for myself.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 05:48:24 AM by Watcher »
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 09:33:36 PM »
Well, now this is annoying.

Today when I closed my visor to take off from a stop light the little visor screw/knob thing apparently popped off and went into oblivion on one side.

Freakin' Cycle Gear wants $18 for a pair of replacements. The odds of me paying--let me be clear here--TEN PERCENT OF THE COST OF THE HELMET[/b] for a part that flew off on its own are pretty slim. But I need a helmet like right freaking now. So I'm about to go buy a new helmet unless CG will give me a replacement visor knob for free.

I really wanted to wait until my weight was down another 10-15 lb before having to commit to a new helmet. I guess CG's quality control had another plan.

Offline IdaSuzi

• Local Club Racer
  • Broke College Student
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 12:41:02 AM »
Sorry to hear about that. That is really too bad it isn't more affordable or even still under warranty. Hopefully you can find a good helmet that has replaceable cheek pads so that if you do purchase a helmet and lose another 10-15 lbs you will be able to swap to some smaller cheek pads if needed. Best of luck! Looking forward on hearing about your decision!
1998 RM125
1995 RM250
1999 Yamaha Banshee (Kind of a bike???)
1993 DR350
2008 GS500F naked conversion, Kat 600 shock, Yoshi Slip On, Progressive Springs, 20/62.5/140 rejet, Fenderectomy, LED Front and Rear Signals

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 02:56:58 PM »
Well, generally good news, and Watcher should be a little less annoyed with the local CG.

I went to try and get a replacement visor screw and they actually had a non-Sedici brand improved visor screw that fit perfectly, $3 for a pair. The guy at the shop said the Strada is their best selling "midrange" helmet and this visor-screw-popped-off is a common problem, he found a source of better screws at a way lower price and ordered a ton, keeps them in stock. That's a win!

I also mentioned to him about my top-of-head pain and he said "oh hey, that's easy to fix!" and promptly disassembled my helmet liner and removed a layer of foam from a spot on the front. We shall see whether this fixes it.

While I was there I also tried on a couple of helmets. Tried the RF-SR and the Large was just a hair loose. The guy at the shop suggested that I'd probably need to get some replacement pads to make it fit perfectly. OTOH I tried a RF-1200 and it was just a touch smaller and actually fit pretty much perfect. I think the RF-1200 is not much more expensive than the RF-SR plus whatever fit kit would need to be added. And the RF-1200 comes in yellow.

So now I have the ability to keep riding with my Sedici for another couple of months and a $500 helmet is on my wish list. Which I guess is good, as long as I am ok spending $500 on a helmet.

Offline Watcher

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 08:07:49 PM »
@mr72

You're lucky if you've had the helmet for a few years and only now experienced the shield screw popping off.
It is a common issue.  Not as much of a "quality control" issue as it is a poor design.
Most commonly we see it with people who swap between dark and clear visors, as they tend to wear down the locking tabs and the screws don't secure as tightly anymore.

I'm guessing that associate recommended the Bilt Techno screws with the latch to lock them.in place.  I'm surprised he was able to secure "a ton".  I'm always struggling to keep them in stock.
Though now that I'm thinking about it, there's also a Speed and Strength helmet that shares the same baseplate.  He may have been able to order a bunch of those.

Here's hoping with that layer of foam removed it helps some, but if it's already moving around up there removing foam to me would not be a good idea.
You said it wasn't forehead pain, that's what removing that piece of foam is designed to alleviate.

The RF1200 is about $100 more than the RFSR, and for that money you get a lighter, slightly more aerodynamic helmet with more ventilation.
It's commonly referred to as Shoei's "Goldilocks" helmet.  Smack in the middle of their lineup for price and features, it works well for almost everyone.

They sell cheek pads and helmet liners in multiple sizes to "fine tune" the fit, if necessary, but Shoei designs their helmets to break in to fit best.
My general rule is a helmet shouldn't ever fit "perfect" out of box, it should always be a hair on the tight side of snug so that it's not too loose after break in.
I'm also not one to suggest immediately buying different sized pads, you should wear the helmet for a while then decide if you need different pads for it.

-Neil Peart

Offline Bluesmudge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 09:09:39 PM »
That's very important advice about fit! It should be borderline uncomfortable out of the box. After ~1,000 miles you will have a helmet that fits like a glove.
If some helmets are too big in size L you may actually need a medium.
Imagine doing a head check at 120 mph. Your helmet should not move.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 09:13:34 PM by Bluesmudge »

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2019, 02:59:59 PM »
Well now, I still haven't bought a new helmet. Starting to talk myself out of a Shoei RF-1200 because I am nearly convinced that this really is designed for the "sport" riding position and that it might be the wrong choice for me since I ride more upright bikes all the time. Shoei recommends the GT Air 2 for riders like me, and searching the internets about that helmet yields a lot of rave reviews for a non-Shoei helmet in this class: HJC RPHA 70 ST http://www.hjchelmets.com/hjca/rpha70st/

Anyone here care to comment? It's a little less expensive than the RF-1200 and a lot less than a GT Air 2. The big thing that gets my attention here is the air flow. I live and ride in Central TX ... it gets hot! air flow is king!

FWIW it'll likely be another couple of months before I make a decision :)  Truth is this will be a painful few months because the problem with the Strada hurting my head seems to be getting worse if anything, but since it's so hot this is not the peak riding season in CenTX anyway.

Offline Watcher

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2019, 11:01:04 PM »
Starting to talk myself out of a Shoei RF-1200 because I am nearly convinced that this really is designed for the "sport" riding position and that it might be the wrong choice for me since I ride more upright bikes all the time.

{fart noise}

In this case "designed for" is more like "optimized for".  I wear an X14.  Actually, 5 of the 8 of us at my store wear an X14.  The X14 is a helmet that's designed for full-tuck race riding; from that big wing on the back all the way to how the pads can be rotated to make the helmet point upwards, it's made for riding a sport bike.
You know I ride an upright naked, my boss rides either a Z1000 (upright naked) or a Ducati Hypermotard (upright naked), and of my employees one rides  an FZ09 (upright naked), formerly an SV650 (upright naked), a YZF-R3 (upright sport), and a Victory Magnum (cruiser).
You don't need to be in that riding position to still benefit from the features.  The wing makes the helmet incredibly stable, and the advanced ventilation (designed to maximize airflow from behind a small windscreen) works potentially better when out in the wind.

The RF-1200 might be the "sport" helmet, but it's also the Goldilocks helmet of the lineup.  Better airflow and more aerodynamics than the RFSR, but not quite as much as the X14, and also the lightest helmet in the lineup.  It's a fantastic all-around helmet, and I can't recommend it enough no matter what you ride.

Shoei recommends the GT Air 2 for riders like me, and searching the internets about that helmet yields a lot of rave reviews for a non-Shoei helmet in this class: HJC RPHA 70 ST http://www.hjchelmets.com/hjca/rpha70st/

Anyone here care to comment? It's a little less expensive than the RF-1200 and a lot less than a GT Air 2. The big thing that gets my attention here is the air flow. I live and ride in Central TX ... it gets hot! air flow is king!

Re: Airflow the RFPA 70 looks about as effective as the GT-Air2.  Looking at one side by side with the GT-Air series it looks like a flattering imitation.  All of the Shoei's are more effective than they appear, the vent design is exceptional on all of them.
But if these are on the table, and if time wasn't a factor, I'd suggest looking at the original GT-Air.  They're on sale for a price closer to the RPHA70, but still much higher quality.

I'm really jaded on the RPHA series.  For some reason HJC's polycarbonate helmets score better in SHARP test scores than their RPHA line, which is supposed to be their luxury line, and ones I've handled personally seem, well...  I don't know, not overpriced per se, but they do cut some obvious corners and they don't have a great track record at my shop.
The shells seem well made, and they're wind-tunnel developed so ventilation is good, and customers that have them say the wind noise is good, but they often go back and forth between which is better, Shoei or RPHA.  I have one regular customer who swears his RPHA 11 is better than his RF1200 in regards to fit, noise, and comfort, despite having some minor issues with it from time to time, but I have another customer who has had multiple RPHA 11s, including one that was warranty replaced, and an RPHA 90, but he got his first Shoei (RF-1200) and is blown away by how much better it is.

According to my own experience and opinion about the RPHA series in general:

Pros:
Better shell materials than some competitors
Relatively low cost
Wind tunnel use during development
Speaker pockets
Decent quality paint/graphics
Lightweight

Cons:
Occasionally lower safety scores than some competitors
Cheaply made shield baseplate system
Cheap materials used for vents
Poorly designed cheek-pad snap system
Same cheek pad feel as their inexpensive helmets

The GT-Air 2 is an awesome helmet, but it is on the expensive side.  It's also made for a proprietary bluetooth system, which kind of sucks.  As big of a Shoei fan as I am, I can really only recommend the GT-Air2 if you want a super premium "integrated" bluetooth helmet with an inner sun shield.

As an alternative, consider the Scorpion EXO-ST1400.
Made of CarbonFiber so it's a lot lighter, better padding system, better shield mechanism, just flat out better, and only $50 more than the RPHA 70.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 06:33:03 AM by Watcher »

-Neil Peart

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2019, 11:36:37 AM »
I'll see if cg has a hjc to try side by side with the rf-1200. The scorpion is a miss because they're all black afaict.

If the hjc competes with the gt-air2 at just over half the price then it's going to be hard to pass up. But it's going to come down to fit and feel. No way to test wind noise and airflow in the store and there's no objective info in this available. Feels to me like the rpha 70ct probably has more airflow than a rf1200 and probably slightly more noise as a result. BTW RevZilla review of the hjc was glowing to say the least.

Offline Watcher

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2019, 08:12:04 PM »
If the hjc competes with the gt-air2 at just over half the price then it's going to be hard to pass up. But it's going to come down to fit and feel.

More accurately it competes with the OG GT-Air, which is still somewhat available, and at its current price is highly recommended.

Fit will be a toss up.
Feel will be Shoei, hands down.

Feels to me like the rpha 70ct probably has more airflow than a rf1200 and probably slightly more noise as a result. BTW RevZilla review of the hjc was glowing to say the least.

I haven't ridden in an RPHA70, but I have ridden in an RF1200.  Despite how small or ineffective they may look, Shoei does a damn good job with their vents.

-Neil Peart

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2019, 01:24:48 PM »
Alright, I get it. You don't like HJC and you're clearly a Shoei fanboy ;)  Nothing at al wrong with that, you have found something that works well for you!

HJC would say their RPHA ST is the GT-Air (non-2) competitor, and the RPHA 70 ST is aimed at the GT Air 2. Looking at features it seems to be about a wash. The GT Air 2 is about 1.5x the price. I talked myself up to $400 range but $600 is just too much, so this is really about the RPHA 70 ST vs. the RF-SR. I'm going to have to think long and hard about whether HJC's top-line sport touring helmet is worth more to me than Shoei's cheapest helmet. After reading a bunch of reviews, it's hard to come away thinking that the RF-SR really can compete with the RPHA 70 ST in terms of value. I mean, the reviews describe the noise level of the RF-SR as "above average" and the RHPA70ST is "exceptional". Airflow of the RF-SR is "surprisingly good" and RPHA70ST is "excellent". However, I just wonder how much of this is that the reviewers expect a Shoei helmet to be exceptional and expect HJC to be mediocre, and this particular Shoei is closer to mediocre than expected and the HJC is closer to exceptional than expected.

But seriously everything I read also indicates a slight difference in shape which will affect fit a lot. I noticed yesterday that part of the problem with my Sedici is that I think my head is more oval than this helmet is, the helmet is more round. I find at the top of my head there's room on the sides but it's very tight against my forehead. So again, for me this is all going to come down to fit. I'll walk out with whichever helmet fits better and hope for the best on noise, features, airflow. But I have to fix my fit problem pronto.

Now that I'm below 200 lb for the first time in nearly a decade, none of my gear fits anymore. So I am going to have to replace two jackets as well as my helmet. Going to be an expensive end of summer.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 04:20:56 PM by mr72 »

Offline Watcher

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2019, 05:30:15 AM »
Alright, I get it. You don't like HJC and you're clearly a Shoei fanboy ;)  Nothing at al wrong with that, you have found something that works well for you!

Lol, I don't necessarily dislike HJC, I just feel like the RPHA series is disappointing.  I feel like HJC shines brightest with their inexpensive helmets.
Maybe my expectations for a premium helmet is too high, or perhaps the price curve steeper than expected, but it seems like the only thing they changed about the RPHA 70 vs, say, the IS-17 is the shell material.  Same* padding, same* vents, same* pastic bits, same* shield mechanism, different shell.
(*Same implies incredibly similar, not actually identical.)
It's hard to see just from observation where the extra money is going besides into the shell itself, when by comparison a Bilt vs a Secidi is an obvious improvement in basically every way.
A $100 Bilt vs a $200 Sedici has better shell, padding, speaker room, shield mechanism, and ventilation.
A $200 HJC vs a $400 RPHA, and you get, in a nutshell, a better shell and speaker pockets.

I just feel like they could have done more for the price.  Riding in one may tell a different story, but I'm not privileged with being able to test ride helmets.  Especially not ones we don't stock in store.  Especially not when it's averaging 100+ during the day.

I'll admit to some Shoei fanboyism but typically fanboyism is rooted, at least shallowly, in reality.  They make damn good helmets, dare I say the best helmets, and it's something I personally use and stand behind so of course I'm gonna push them rather hard.  I hate to see anyone I know who's into motorcycles use anything less than the best, but the reality is everyone's needs/wants, and more importantly budget, are all very different.

The honest truth is, while I might not be a 100% fan of HJC, you can spend the same amount on another brand and get way LESS of a helmet.
The RPHA is a good helmet.  I don't consider it a great helmet, but it's a good helmet.

At any rate, if you get it from CG you've got that 30-day satisfaction guarantee.
If you aren't impressed with the RPHA 70, just take it back.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 06:15:59 AM by Watcher »

-Neil Peart

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2019, 12:17:19 PM »
I think I'll likely make use of that 30 day return window. Let's see if I can get a new helmet at a time when I can take several 3+ hour rides in the days after so I can be absolutely sure it fixes my issues. Wonder how ticked they'd be if I bought one of each and returned the loser, maybe to exchange for a new jacket and gloves.

EDIT: CG's return policy note 30 days for unused items. I think that really rules out helmets entirely, doesn't it? It's pretty much impossible to evaluate whether a helmet is going to work without wearing it while riding. I noticed it's the air pressure from wind at speed that impacts whether my Sedici will work. I can wear it for 8 hours straight if I am sitting here working or riding around neighborhoods at <35 mph.

It would be cool if there was a helmet demo/trial program. Kind of like gun ranges do. Let me pay a small fee and a deposit on the helmet, then go ride with it for a week, return it and get a different one. After trying a few, I can then make an informed choice about which one is best. Perhaps this is a service CG ought to offer with high-$ helmets. I can't imagine it would be more of a money loser than having to take returns on slightly used stuff that they then have to sell at a discount.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 01:36:15 PM by mr72 »

Offline yamahonkawazuki

• Resident MonoPod
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • -Dum spiro spero (while i breathe, i hope)
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Offline Watcher

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2019, 07:15:23 PM »
EDIT: CG's return policy note 30 days for unused items. I think that really rules out helmets entirely, doesn't it?

Well, that statement is designed to discourage testing helmets and gear like that, but as long as it's not drenched in sweat and bug carcasses you can return it no hassle.
Realistically it's a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.  We have internal SKUs to return "damaged" product, so if you absolutely cannot stand being in that helmet and it does show use we WILL still take it back, whether it costs the company money or not, because above all else CG stresses customer service.
Within reason, of course.  A crashed helmet is what it is, but a small nick from a beetle is hardly grounds for refusal.

If you browse CG's website enough you'll find "blemished" helmets for sale and "pre-installed" hardware being sold for a discount.  Mostly means a product that was "tested" got returned and if a customer is a little less discerning they can have it for cheap.

-Neil Peart

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2019, 02:54:21 PM »
Revzilla had a blog post which suggested having a friend take a picture of the top of your head to determine your head shape. I don't have a friend to help but I took a picture of the top of my head with my phone and the timer. I think this has revealed the problem: my head is not "intermediate oval". It's also not "round oval" or "long oval".

It's sort of "rounded triangle". Or sort of "egg" shape where it's sort of long-oval in front and round-oval in the back.

So how do you fit THAT to a helmet?

Offline Watcher

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2019, 03:47:26 PM »
My head is not "intermediate oval". It's also not "round oval" or "long oval".

It's sort of "rounded triangle". Or sort of "egg" shape where it's sort of long-oval in front and round-oval in the back.

So how do you fit THAT to a helmet?

It's not uncommon, quite the opposite, most people's heads aren't true ovals despite the terminology; intermediate egg just sounds weird.

You still may be able to determine if you're significantly longer front to back (long), moderately longer (intermediate), or slightly longer (round) from the photo.
But the best way to find the right helmet will be some trial and error.  You'll need to go around and try on as many as you can to determine the best fit.

-Neil Peart

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
Re: Helmet help -- DONE
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2019, 06:41:54 PM »
I found a local shop with the selection of helmets I wanted to try all on the shelf. Only one I didn't try was an AGV but really the price:feature ratio was just wrong for those anyway.

So I tried an HJC RPHA 70 ST, a Shoei GT-Air (not-II), and a Shark modular. The GT-Air and the Shark were both on the clearance rack and insanely good deals. The Shoei even had a SENA pre-installed and was only a little bit more money than the HJC.

Just a little story telling... Since I have been more attentive to this whole "does the helmet fit" thing I have noticed that I can feel the EPS liner of my Sedici helmet pressing on my upper forehead. There is literally NO space. The foam is 100% compressed there. I think that's the source of my pain. I also noticed that the sides are quite loose above my ears. This helmet is just simply the wrong shape. Also, it was mega hot today when I rode over to the shop where I would be buying a helmet. It's a 30 minute or so ride over there and I noticed that I cannot feel any airflow through the top vents I know they do flow some air, I mean I can tell a difference with them closed, mostly in noise (it's much quieter with the vents closed), but basically the top vents kind of don't do anything. Anyway, I took all of this inventory while riding over, then walked right in to the store after taking the Strada off and tried on the other helmets while the memory of how the Strada felt was fresh on my mind.

So after trying them all, the winner is...

drum roll...

HJC RHPA 70 ST

It's the first one I tried. According to HJC's fit guide I should have been right on the line between a medium and a large, and they had a large on the shelf so I tried it first. As soon as I put it on, the feeling was like, "OH! So THIS is how it's supposed to fit!". The cheeks were much tighter than my well-worn-in Sedici but the helmet literally was snug around my entire head as if it was custom molded. But I wasn't convinced just yet so after wearing it for about 5 minutes while shopping around and talking to the sales lady about other options, I decided to try some others.

They had a Shark Evoline 3ST with graphics but mostly white on the clearance rack for an insane $149. I put it on with the chin guard flipped to the back, which is really nifty BTW, and it felt great. I was just about ready to whip out the credit card when the sales lady said, "oh it will tighten around the bottom when you pull the chin guard forward," and boy was she right. Pulling the chin guard down caused it to cram my jaws and just radically changed the fit. I realized that this is truly a "long oval" helmet and it's simply too narrow for my head. I'm not a "long oval".

Then on the same clearance shelf was a Shoei GT-Air with a BT comm system in it, white with blue graphics, and she said they'd do it for $450 complete. I thought this was my lucky day for sure. And it might be your lucky day too, that's a screaming deal. Once I jammed the helmet on my head (it was a large), it nearly ripped my ears off my head getting it on. And the cheek/jaw was just insanely tight on me, plus it had so little space for my ears that even after reaching up and trying to unfold them, they were just smashed no matter what. I wore it for a few minutes and really, really wanted to like it. Tried the sun visor and it comes down and touches my nose. Not awesome. I kept trying to convince myself I liked it, but it wasn't working. For a reality check, with great effort, I took it off and managed to keep my ears attached, put the HJC back on. And voila, that was the magic. It was an immediate, "ah!!".

The RF-SR and RF-1200 were just kind of "meh". RF-SR was a hair too loose in a large and RF-1200 was a better fit but just didn't blow me away. But the HJC literally felt like it was custom made for my head. RPHA 70 has the benefit of being $100 less than the RF-1200 and with more features.

One other little dumb thing, but I often park my bike with the helmet just sort of hanging on a hook. Neither of my bikes have a helmet lock. So I really didn't want to end up with a $500+ helmet that looks like a premium helmet. I think a HJC helmet is far less of a theft target than a Shoei.

Local shop even beat Revzilla's price on the HJC by about $13. I had to special order the helmet because they didn't have the color I wanted in stock (solid white). They did warn me that they basically have a zero return policy on helmets once you leave the store, so when my helmet comes in, I'll try it on and wear it around the store for as long as I want, at least 30 minutes, before taking it with me. That's the only downside of ordering through this store rather than someplace like Cycle Gear, but it is a pretty big downside. The sales lady really did work with me to try to find the right one and they had one in stock for me to try, which is something CG is not able to do. They earned my business. BTW the store is RideNow Powersports. I did see a Yamaha Tracer 900 while I was there that was a pretty cool bike. When I go pick up my helmet I will probably shop around for a new jacket.

Offline Watcher

• MotoGP Racer
Re: Helmet help -- DONE
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2019, 03:41:11 AM »
So after trying them all, the winner is...

HJC RHPA 70 ST

Cool, I'm glad you found something that's much more comfortable and has the features you want.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed you didn't go for a Shoei, but as I said before I don't think HJC makes bad helmets, just that my experience with them has been a little lackluster.  In the end the right helmet is the one that fits best, after all, and a comfortable helmet will ultimately lead to the best enjoyed experience.

Looking forward to a proper review once you've ridden in it.

One other little dumb thing, but I often park my bike with the helmet just sort of hanging on a hook. Neither of my bikes have a helmet lock. So I really didn't want to end up with a $500+ helmet that looks like a premium helmet. I think a HJC helmet is far less of a theft target than a Shoei.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  I've seen/heard reports where the thief cut the straps off to get the helmet, rendering it useless, which would lead me to say that the thief isn't interested in it for him/herself.  I've also experienced reports where thieves steal half helmets and obviously junky ones.  I do work in an area with a lot of roaming homeless/tweakers, so perhaps it's more true here than elsewhere, but it seems they're just interested in anything that isn't nailed down.  Hell, a set of rubber cones were stolen from me.  CONES! Dafuq you gonna do with those!?
If the pawn shop will give them $10 that's their next beer or hit of crack or whatever.
The only true statement is "thieves will steal helmets".  The only true deterrent is "don't give thieves an opportunity."

Local shop even beat Revzilla's price on the HJC by about $13.

They did warn me that they basically have a zero return policy on helmets once you leave the store, so when my helmet comes in, I'll try it on and wear it around the store for as long as I want, at least 30 minutes, before taking it with me.  That's the only downside of ordering through this store rather than someplace like Cycle Gear, but it is a pretty big downside. 

$13 isn't a really big difference.  The real test of the helmet will be once you get it on the road.  The HJC will all but definitely be better than your tired Sedici, but +$13 vs the risk of having a "paperweight" helmet, I'd pay the $13.

The sales lady really did work with me to try to find the right one and they had one in stock for me to try, which is something CG is not able to do. They earned my business. BTW the store is RideNow Powersports.

I can see how a good salesperson would make a purchasing impression on a customer, if you get treated right they've earned your business.
That's what I strive to do day to day, try to offer the best customer service in town so customers want to buy from me.
Same for having the item in question there in the store, instead of having to order the item in.  I'll do everything I can to get something in for a customer, but if the guy next door has it there and now there's not much I can do to compete with that, other than perhaps bring that item in to get a head start on "the next guy."

It's interesting how two examples of the same thing can be totally different.  Seems like you are very happy with your local RideNow based on your recent experience.
Out here, both of the RideNows have an earned reputation of being fairly crappy businesses.  Overpriced, poor customer service, and I've heard several cases where they've damaged customer bikes in the service department (or even switched parts out without consent) and have done nothing or the bare minimum to correct the problem.
In my own personal experiences, the East side location has 100% ignored me every time I've gone in there, and it's been probably half a dozen times.  I don't want to have to chase down an associate, it's not Walmart, I want to be approached and helped, especially when there's not a simple cashier where I can just grab something off a shelf and on the way out pay for it.  They won't know it, but it's cost them a motorcycle purchase from me.  They didn't seem to have a great selection of helmets, either.  Sure, they carry HJC and some Shoeis, but probably 1/3 to 1/4 of the helmets I have in my store.  Same for gear.
The West side location was friendlier to me each time, but they carry even less gear and, for some reason, fewer brands and bikes in general compared to the East side one.  For example, the East side carries Honda, West does not...
I'll likely never set foot in one again.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 03:42:50 AM by Watcher »

-Neil Peart