Author Topic: So happy I kept her!  (Read 74 times)

Offline Atesz792

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AMA Superbike Racer
So happy I kept her!
« on: April 17, 2019, 03:48:59 PM »
Hey everyone!

This spring I bought a Yamaha TDM 900 as an 'upgrade'.
I read so many posts on this forum about people selling their GS and regretting it in short order that I decided she has to keep her garage space.
So happy I did.
TPS recall had not been done by any of the PO's of my TDM and now it's not much more than annoying paperweight (even after some TDC). Appointment almost a month from now, and riding season is only about half the year in my area.
Still loving my faithful little GS!
'04 GS500F with 70k kilometres / 43,5k miles updated September 2016.
Ride it like a 2 stroke:
1: Rev high
2: Add oil
3: Repeat

Offline Ted

• Local Club Racer
Re: So happy I kept her!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 08:28:19 PM »
My neighbour has a Yamaha TDM that he hasn't been able to start in years. Nice looking bike, but...

And I periodically (make that regularly in Canadian winters) snoop around for bigger and better bikes, but then I remember what makes this little twin so great: it's paid for, cheap insurance, gets 80 mpg (Imperial gallons), factory clip-ons, handles great, stops fine, I can break any speed limit in short order, progressive springs made a night and day difference, hopefully a Katana shock will improve things even more, it looks like a motorcycle too, with round headlight. I know I would be disappointed if I got rid of it for a Sportster and had my fillings shaken out, or maybe a Honda VFR that I would promptly drop and shatter all that plastic.

I think I'll keep her.
Ted
1974 Kawasaki Trail Boss, 1978 Yamaha XS650, 1979 Kawasaki KZ650 - and now a bike without a kickstarter: 1999 GS500

Offline Bluesmudge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 05:11:47 PM »
Yeah, I've had a Vstrom 1000, CT110, Super Sherpa 250, DR400, DR650, NX650. All good bikes, but right now it's just the Sherpa and the GS500 in my garage.

GS500 was my first bike and I'm so glad I never sold it. I've found that with modification itcovers 90% of my motorcycle needs.

Never sell the GS500!

Offline ajensen

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 08:01:55 PM »
I commute whenever I can and take longer rides on occasion. I've been riding since 1962 (first bike a new BSA Bantam 125). I do not know how many motorcycles I have owned, but my 2006 GS500f makes me smile as much as any of the others. Cheap, reliable, fun up in the mountains--I wish she were a little lighter, but I wish the same thing for myself.