Author Topic: Jaycobee’s 2006 GS500F Build (Sonic)  (Read 288 times)

Offline jaycobee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Jaycobee’s 2006 GS500F Build (Sonic)
« on: June 01, 2019, 01:53:19 AM »
Hey guys, I’ve been lurking for a while now but thought I would finally post something up. Naught my bike in August of 2018(before getting my license knowing as soon as I got it I’d want to ride!). I was looking for sport bikes and was dead set on a 250 like every other beginner but came across this one with only 6,800 miles on it for $1300! Couldn’t pass it up and was happy to get the extra cc’s!  Learning a lot though about motorcycles as this is my first one so here’s everything I’ve done!

The day I got it. Couldn’t have been more excited! Named it Sonic after Sonic the hedgehog due to the color scheme

Started to have some issues with a stuck float and gas leaking out the air box drain tube so it was time to jump head first into learning how to take it apart and work on the carbs!  Problem was fixed!

Rode it all winter with a big smile on my face but quickly learned that winter and metal chains did not mix so had to learn how to grease the chain!

Then I was officially bit by the modding bug and decided to start with the back turn signals

Then of course a fenderectomy was in order...

Then time to switch the Gauge lights to LED’s

Delkevic Slip on came next although the bike started to run super lean so of course it was time for a...

...Rejet!! I rejetted to 22.5/62.5/142.5 and love it! I’m so happy with this bike!!

Next on the list is a Trailtech Vapor Dash and potentially a K&N Lunchbox. Thanks for checking my thread out and I’ll update it as I go!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
Re: Jaycobee’s 2006 GS500F Build (Sonic)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 09:25:00 AM »
Awesome pics and congrats on the first post!!!

My GS was/is my first bike too and 7 years later I'm still very much in love. I ride through the winter too, north of you in PA :cheers:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR750 headlight & cowl, GSXR1000 signals, Chuck81 fork brace, '05 Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings

Offline gruntle

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 07:09:01 PM »
Re Chain care in winter conditions - Never ever use a wire brush to clean your chain - destroys the O/Xrings.
I've tried all manner of spray on lubes and found they just collect salt and sand and sh1te - reducing life of chains dramatically. Others will vehemently disagree, but the best maintenance for chains I've found is a soft wipe with a rag prior to using an old paintbrush with clean engine oil brushed into the links on both sides repeated every 2-300 miles. The last chain fitted is in excellent nick after 12,000 miles, previous ones lasted 8 and 10k before utterly shot when using spray on lubes.
Just my 2pence worth, Happy trails  :D

Offline jaycobee

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 10:21:36 PM »
Thanks for the info! I will definitely keep that in mind!

Offline jaycobee

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 10:22:14 PM »
Awesome pics and congrats on the first post!!!

My GS was/is my first bike too and 7 years later I'm still very much in love. I ride through the winter too, north of you in PA :cheers:
That’s great to hear! And nice-my family is from PA and I went to Penn State!

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 01:32:54 PM »
I like the subliminal puzzle in the background!  I regularly think of my projects as puzzles that 'want' to run, I just need to figure them out :thumb:
Bike looks great! I wonder how that muffler sounds
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline jaycobee

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 05:18:28 PM »
I like the subliminal puzzle in the background!  I regularly think of my projects as puzzles that 'want' to run, I just need to figure them out :thumb:
Bike looks great! I wonder how that muffler sounds
Hah! I never thought of that! The first time I took the carbs apart it certainly was a puzzle!  I’ll have to take a video of the muffler but it is a delkevic 9” ss70. Sounds great!  Thank you so much!

Offline jaycobee

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 08:58:04 PM »
Added a trail tech vapor to the bike-now I have digital speed, rpm, a clock, a trip meter, ambient temperature, and other various measurables! Feels like a new bike!