News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

Jaycobee’s 2006 GS500F Build (Sonic)

Started by jaycobee, May 31, 2019, 06:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaycobee

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while now but thought I would finally post something up. Naught my bike in August of 2018(before getting my license knowing as soon as I got it I'd want to ride!). I was looking for sport bikes and was dead set on a 250 like every other beginner but came across this one with only 6,800 miles on it for $1300! Couldn't pass it up and was happy to get the extra cc's!  Learning a lot though about motorcycles as this is my first one so here's everything I've done!

The day I got it. Couldn't have been more excited! Named it Sonic after Sonic the hedgehog due to the color scheme

Started to have some issues with a stuck float and gas leaking out the air box drain tube so it was time to jump head first into learning how to take it apart and work on the carbs!  Problem was fixed!

Rode it all winter with a big smile on my face but quickly learned that winter and metal chains did not mix so had to learn how to grease the chain!

Then I was officially bit by the modding bug and decided to start with the back turn signals

Then of course a fenderectomy was in order...

Then time to switch the Gauge lights to LED's

Delkevic Slip on came next although the bike started to run super lean so of course it was time for a...

...Rejet!! I rejetted to 22.5/62.5/142.5 and love it! I'm so happy with this bike!!

Next on the list is a Trailtech Vapor Dash and potentially a K&N Lunchbox. Thanks for checking my thread out and I'll update it as I go!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShowBizWolf

Awesome pics and congrats on the first post!!!

My GS was/is my first bike too and 7 years later I'm still very much in love. I ride through the winter too, north of you in PA :cheers:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

gruntle

Re Chain care in winter conditions - Never ever use a wire brush to clean your chain - destroys the O/Xrings.
I've tried all manner of spray on lubes and found they just collect salt and sand and sh1te - reducing life of chains dramatically. Others will vehemently disagree, but the best maintenance for chains I've found is a soft wipe with a rag prior to using an old paintbrush with clean engine oil brushed into the links on both sides repeated every 2-300 miles. The last chain fitted is in excellent nick after 12,000 miles, previous ones lasted 8 and 10k before utterly shot when using spray on lubes.
Just my 2pence worth, Happy trails  :D

jaycobee

Thanks for the info! I will definitely keep that in mind!

jaycobee

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on June 01, 2019, 02:25:00 AM
Awesome pics and congrats on the first post!!!

My GS was/is my first bike too and 7 years later I'm still very much in love. I ride through the winter too, north of you in PA :cheers:
That's great to hear! And nice-my family is from PA and I went to Penn State!

cbrfxr67

I like the subliminal puzzle in the background!  I regularly think of my projects as puzzles that 'want' to run, I just need to figure them out :thumb:
Bike looks great! I wonder how that muffler sounds
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

jaycobee

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on June 05, 2019, 06:32:54 AM
I like the subliminal puzzle in the background!  I regularly think of my projects as puzzles that 'want' to run, I just need to figure them out :thumb:
Bike looks great! I wonder how that muffler sounds
Hah! I never thought of that! The first time I took the carbs apart it certainly was a puzzle!  I'll have to take a video of the muffler but it is a delkevic 9" ss70. Sounds great!  Thank you so much!

jaycobee

Added a trail tech vapor to the bike-now I have digital speed, rpm, a clock, a trip meter, ambient temperature, and other various measurables! Feels like a new bike!

jaycobee

New adjustable levers put on plus just general riding around pics!

cbrfxr67

Lookin sweeeet!  I had a Vapor gauge on one of my gs's and it was great.  I liked the auto light adjustment.  How you like those grips?  Seamax had them on gs I picked up from him.  They were kind of tacky, so I changed them out.  I'm not sure how old they were.
ANyways, your gs looking hot!  Picture game? :cheers:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

jaycobee

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on October 14, 2019, 07:10:39 AM
Lookin sweeeet!  I had a Vapor gauge on one of my gs's and it was great.  I liked the auto light adjustment.  How you like those grips?  Seamax had them on gs I picked up from him.  They were kind of tacky, so I changed them out.  I'm not sure how old they were.
ANyways, your gs looking hot!  Picture game? :cheers:
Thanks!! I love the vapor on there definitely makes it feel a bit newer. The grips were on there when I bought the bike and I use haven't gotten around to changing them. They aren't very "grippy" and feel worn down so I'll probably change them out but I want to switch to 89 clip on style bars before I do. Thanks for the compliment!! I love your "new" bike. Looks awesome!! And definitely will try to play the picture game

Bluesmudge

Very nice bike! That was always my favorite color scheme for the F model GS500s!

jaycobee

Quote from: Bluesmudge on October 17, 2019, 11:31:00 AM
Very nice bike! That was always my favorite color scheme for the F model GS500s!
Thank you! I love the blue but wish I had the blue rear fairings too

Bluesmudge

I think that would look weird. Suzuki only made blue rears in that fugly GSXR "Candy Grand" electric blue. Wouldn't match the very mature, shaken not stirred, "Pearl Deep" blue of your bike.

cbrfxr67

Quote from: Bluesmudge on October 25, 2019, 09:13:30 AM
I think that would look weird. Suzuki only made blue rears in that fugly GSXR "Candy Grand" electric blue. Wouldn't match the very mature, shaken not stirred, "Pearl Deep" blue of your bike.
-buddha

jaycobee

Hmm just tried to find a pic of it, was under the impression that it existed, I must've been thinking about the other darker blue candy grand blue? From 04/05

jaycobee

Now that it's getting cold I decided to throw on some heated grips. Saw the ones showbizwolf put on hers and for $8 I thought why not? Wired the ends to a quick connect plug so I can connect and disconnect from my battery. All in all working great!

And then just some pictures I took!

cbrfxr67

-buddha

ShowBizWolf

I've been enjoying mine, that's for sure! I still really like how the switch is built into the actual grip on these... AND of course, the price!
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

jaycobee

OEM clip ons are on!! Love this bike more and more!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk