Author Topic: Swapping handlebars, and an unknown part fell out...  (Read 257 times)

Offline Dilbert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Swapping handlebars, and an unknown part fell out...
« on: August 11, 2019, 02:32:14 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I started my first mod today, and it turned out to be a bigger task than originally planned. I swapped to a more forward, lower, wider handlebar, and tried following the repair manual.  That had me disassemble every piece on the handlebars, both handle switch clusters, and unhook all the cables.  As the switch clusters hung and my back was turned, an odd piece fell out.  It has a spring and what looks like something to complete an electric circuit.

I can't see where it might have fallen out of, but now that everything is back together the bike won't start.  I tested the brake light and horn, and I'm pretty sure it isn't the clutch safety switch (that was held in on the bottom of the clutch lever by 2 screws i think).  All the turn signals work appropriately. 80% sure it came from the left cluster.

Anyone have any idea what this is or where it goes?

Offline Dilbert

• Local Club Racer
Re: Swapping handlebars, and an unknown part fell out...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 11:45:12 PM »
Turns out it was part of the clutch safety switch.  When the circuit board with two screws on the bottom of the clutch lever is unscrewed, that piece stays suspended because it's covered in grease.  When my back was turned it fell out.

Now all I have to do is adjust my throttle so it doesn't rev to 10,000 when I start up.

btw, 1995 model.

Offline The Buddha

• The guru Ba-moo-derator
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 11:49:03 PM »
Yea that is a tiny part with a tinier metal part put into a plastic part with a spring isn't it. Worse still, it collects water, doesn't get lubed cos we never take it off and clean and lube it, so it essentially corrodes away. Worse, have to buy whole assembly, not available as a little plastic piece.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Endopotential

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 01:56:05 AM »
Kudos for diving right in Dilbert!  That's how we all learn.

This is a terrific forum with a lot of really helpful and knowledgeable folks.  :cheers:
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/140 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

Offline Dilbert

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 06:34:21 AM »

Yep, lots of old and brittle parts. Here's the finished product, with these handlebars:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bike-master-drag-bar-78-handlebars

It's a little tight, I might end up trying to find risers to give all the controls more space.  The hardest part is the master cylinder, the metal part of the hose turns right into the center console, so my mirror and brake lever are tilted too far towards me.

Also did the purple LED instrument light swap.

Offline Bluesmudge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 07:39:01 PM »
I like the purple dash. Very '90s GS500. Too bad you don't have the purple and pink color scheme to go with it!