Author Topic: Lost power and stopped on freeway on-ramp.  (Read 370 times)

Offline Weedy64

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AMA Supersport Racer
Lost power and stopped on freeway on-ramp.
« on: August 23, 2019, 02:44:37 PM »
2009 GS500F 40K  What now?  I think its done.  Has a burnt smell to the crankcase.  Its locked up now and won't rotate with starter, lucky no one fell off.  Not me riding...just rescuing.

Its been a while since Ive been on here, bike was running great.  Bought a boat to restore project and now this bites me.

Why do I keep getting these projects? :dunno_black:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 03:51:54 PM by Weedy64 »

Offline Bluesmudge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • World Superbike Racer
Re: Lost power and stopped on freeway on-ramp.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 02:54:42 PM »
If you take the right side engine cover off, and remove the spark plugs, can you rotate the engine with a wrench like you would for a valve check? You can also put the bike in 6th gear on the center stand and try turning the rear wheel.

That will rule out of its actually locked up or if you have a toasted starter/starter clutch or some electrical issue.

Offline Weedy64

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 03:19:55 PM »
Took it apart on the weekend:  one smashed piston, one pretzel rod, one broken cylinder, one side of crankshaft smashed to sh!(
shrapnel throughout. :sad:

No holes in crankcase but I think a lower mileage ebay engine will be on the agenda.  There was one available with only one cylinder compression so likely a burnt valve.  For $300 I think that will be a more economical course of action. :thumb:

Offline Weedy64

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 06:19:27 PM »
Replacement engine arrived: zero compression on cyl #2,  exhaust valve is tuliped and burnt, rest of it looks ok.

Going to re-ring, and rebuild my original cylinder head with new valve seals and clean out oil galleries.

Pistons look way too deep in cylinders for good quench in my op.

Offline Weedy64

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 04:37:39 PM »
Zero decked my cylinder block on the W/E to obtain ~0.040" squish clearance. Makes for a happier engine that is more detonation tolerant due to increased turbulence, as well as raises compression to 9.7 by my calcs.

I went a little too far to 0.037 but not a deal breaker. 

The bad:  I now have .010 P2V clearance measured via modeling clay.  :icon_eek: I can't run that, I will have to figure out how  deepen the valve reliefs by 50 thou.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 04:40:39 PM by Weedy64 »

Offline Weedy64

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 03:54:35 PM »
Piston setup on mill to deepen valve relief and the fixture made to hold the piston firmly.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 04:15:11 PM by Weedy64 »

Offline Bluesmudge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 06:37:05 PM »
Looks like you know what you are doing!

Offline Weedy64

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 05:25:14 PM »
Back in bike and running! Just the fairing puzzle to deal with.

The Ebay engine had a lot of sludge in pan for only 12000, so I cleaned it out as best I could and am running diesel motor oil 10w30 for a while to wash the insides.  Only got about 20 km on her, sounds nice though. A solid pop from VH exhaust.  Just cleaned carbs and it started right up.  Already have lunchbox and correct jetting so I will re-balance eventually after break-in.  I will check compression at ~ 1k and see if my messing around made any difference or was a waste of time.