Author Topic: Mid throttle highway stutter fixed, thanks guys!  (Read 205 times)

Offline Ugluk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AMA Supersport Racer
  • Pure bone muscle
Mid throttle highway stutter fixed, thanks guys!
« on: August 25, 2019, 04:18:48 PM »
Thanks to this forum I've solved an issue thats been haunting my bike for some time. She would run fine in traffic but show symptoms of fuel starvation at highway speeds. No leaks, nothing wrong with the petcocks, fuel height good, mixture good, throttle membranes good, carbs cleaned dozens of times.
I was stumped and ready to send the carbs away for rebuild.
Then I found out about the crosswind fenomenon and sure enough, I had at some time in the past routed the hose to the carb bowl vent along with the overflow hose down behind the right side of the engine. I tucked it in on top of the carbs and the problem disappeared.

Awesome. This place is gold.

Offline Bluesmudge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • World Superbike Racer
Re: Mid throttle highway stutter fixed, thanks guys!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 02:47:17 PM »
Glad you figured it out! Thats a common one for the GS500.

Offline Kilted1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 08:25:01 PM »
I've never heard of this before today, though it seems to have come up several times recently.  I've been getting some fuel starving above 60mph so maybe this warrants checking.  I don't do a lot of freeway but maybe I'd do more if I felt more confident about maintaining speed.

Offline The Buddha

• The guru Ba-moo-derator
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 09:13:10 PM »
That hose can be routed anywhere - however you can not have it pinched or turned so tight that its killing air flow (or some enterprising critter got in there and took up residence).
In fact that hose can be missing, works just as well, just as long as aforementioned critter doesn't crawl into the T tube and die.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------