Author Topic: Best tool to measure float height?  (Read 426 times)

Offline BikerBoy

• AMA Supersport Racer
Best tool to measure float height?
« on: July 24, 2019, 02:12:22 PM »
Anyone have recomendations for measauring the float height accurately? My bike still leaks a little fuel from the airbox so I thin the float height is low.

I've seen a lot of calipers like these ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-LCD-Digital-Vernier-Caliper-Micrometer-Measure-Tool-Gauge-Ruler-150mm/133097341895 ) that are inexpensive but Im not sure if I can measure from zero with the way those are designed. Id like some calipers that would work for this specific job of measuring the float heights for a good price, thanks.

Offline herennow

• Formula Extreme Racer
Re: Best tool to measure float height?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 01:14:51 AM »
clear plastic tube. 30 cm, abour 1$

Offline Kilted1

• Formula Extreme Racer
Re: Best tool to measure float height?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 01:10:54 PM »
clear plastic tube. 30 cm, abour 1$

This ^^  Easier and more accurate than taking the carbs off the bike and trying to measure it upside down.  Just put the bike on the center stand, jam a tube on the bowl drain nipple (I use aquarium air line), bend the tube up against the side of the carb and open the drain screw.  Ideal fuel level is right at the seam of the bowl and the carb body.  If they need adjustment you can see how much and just do that once you're inside.  Easier than the trial and error of doing the actual measurement and hoping it's right once it's all back together.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk