Author Topic: adventures in gloves  (Read 165 times)

Offline mr72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
adventures in gloves
« on: November 25, 2019, 09:02:47 PM »
So I'm a cheapskate. But I also am very demanding of quality. This is usually a problem.

My Sedici Lucca gloves wore out with several holes developing in the palm on the right glove by mid-October. I went back over to CG to buy another pair just like them but I just really felt like for the money ($45ish) they were not what I wanted. For $30-35, they are terrific gloves. Once you get close to $50, there are better gloves you should consider.

I bought a pair of leather gloves that looked similar in the pictures to the Luccas from Amazon for like $25. Really, hard to beat deal. But they are lined and they are also much bigger so they fit loose. I just don't like them. They bunch up in the wrong places and fit too loose. On the bright side, I think I can probably easily wear them with glove liners under them so they might make a decent pair of colder-weather gloves. But between them and the worn out Sedicis, I was without the right gloves.

So today my dad and I went over to one of the now-RideOne shops (formerly an independent shop) wherein he intended to buy me a new pair of gloves for my birthday (tomorrow). I found a pair of black and white AlpineStars SMX-1 V2 gloves on the closeout rack (who knows why... color I guess?) for $29! Bonus!

The cheapskate in me loves the price and the demanding of quality loves these A* gloves.

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MotoGP Racer
Re: adventures in gloves
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 09:10:56 PM »
I love my old AlpineStars!

Like you, I've tried some others (cheap) and they were meh, ok, but didn't fit right.  I keep using my old alipinestars.  I don't even know what they are as someone gave them to me when they stopped riding but I love them.

What were the cheap ones on amazon that you tried?
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 09:15:21 PM »
these are the cheap Amazon ones. I forgot just how cheap they were. $17, even with the poor fit, they are a bargain. I think if I had bought a size down I might have been happy with them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IDN9SH6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the CG gloves I had that I liked are like this:
https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/sedici-lucca-gloves?gclid=CjwKCAiAlO7uBRANEiwA_vXQ-zd6Fxqc89D_MZxV8PlhvEFAMw_RKCmuVir3vo2lx3bJzlWA65_h0RoCoiYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thing is I think I got them on sale for under $35 and they are a decent deal for that price, but once you are paying $40 for gloves you have to think about A* and Icon and others that are just better, nicer gloves and only $10-15 more expensive. I just think there are like under-$30 gloves, and there are over-$40 gloves. These Lucca gloves would be king of under-$30, but are not in the running for the best over-$40.

I have some black leather dye and I might just dye the white to black on these A* gloves. Dunno. I am not sure how I feel about the black and white. Maybe I'll get used to it. Kind of maches my helmet.

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 10:10:29 PM »
I bought those same cheapos but off ebay.  They're not terrible but not alpinestars.  It's funny how particular you can be with gloves eh?  I never suspected it til I tried looking for something else,...
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline IdaSuzi

• Local Club Racer
  • Broke College Student
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 02:11:59 AM »
I currently where these ZR1 270 perforated gloves:

https://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gear-and-accessories/gloves/z1r-270-perforated-leather-gloves/p/55608?b=4293106&CRTP=psc&gclid=CjwKCAiAlO7uBRANEiwA_vXQ-7JZz3jVTLXKBYUyXQn5nQ9ZzRUMXVCfg1l6yjNjERcXu7FR-nYSqBoC1JEQAvD_BwE

These gloves are basically a straight copy and rip off of Icon's discontinued Pursuit Gloves. They have held up well, protection seems decent, thick goat leather. Good seams, doubled up on the palm, armor on knuckles etc. I am looking for a pair of gauntlets though for longer trips, and cold weather. I have some problems with gloves because I have rather large hands but relatively small wrists, so the gloves in Large or XL need to be able to cinch tight on my wrists.
1998 RM125
1995 RM250
1999 Yamaha Banshee (Kind of a bike???)
1993 DR350
2008 GS500F naked conversion, Kat 600 shock, Yoshi Slip On, Progressive Springs, 20/62.5/140 rejet, Fenderectomy, LED Front and Rear Signals

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • MotoGP Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach and Moto Enthusiast!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 03:19:26 PM »
SMX-1 V2s being on closeout was definitely a mistake, or they were returned/damaged and discounted.  Those are current gloves and normally $60.

More of a summer glove, though.

If you like the Lucca but want higher quality the Reax Tasker is worth looking at.  More expensive, perhaps, than you'd want to pay, but they're quality.
Goatskin palms, touchscreen index and thumb tips, 2-year warranty through CycleGear, and  :whisper: (they're made by AlpineStars).
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 12:13:39 AM »
SMX-1 V2s being on closeout was definitely a mistake, or they were returned/damaged and discounted.  Those are current gloves and normally $60.

I think it is the color. These are white/black, and A* web site doesn't show that color in their current catalog.

More of a summer glove, though.

I live in Central TX :)  Summer glove is perfect.

If you like the Lucca but want higher quality the Reax Tasker is worth looking at.  More expensive, perhaps, than you'd want to pay, but they're quality.
Goatskin palms, touchscreen index and thumb tips, 2-year warranty through CycleGear, and  :whisper: (they're made by AlpineStars).

Yeah maybe if they go on sale :) 

Or if I get a coupon.

I will try a pair next time I'm in CG. If they fit and feel great then $80 is not horrible but really I want another pair of Lucas for $30. And they do go on that sale every once in a while.

Offline Bluesmudge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 06:21:58 PM »
Anyone who has broken a bone in their hand or foot knows that boots and gloves are the last thing to cheap out on.

Helmet, gloves, boots. They protect the parts of your body that damage easily and don't always heal properly.

I no longer buy gloves or boots that aren't CE certified or approved
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 06:41:46 PM by Bluesmudge »

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 07:46:21 PM »
Well, I have to compromise on boots because I have a foot issue that makes it basically impossible for me to walk in most shoes or boots out there. I will wear my dedicated riding boots (which AFAIK are CE rated) if I am doing ONLY a ride, but if I have to walk in my shoes when I arrive at wherever I am going, I use other boots.

Thing is, there's a small chance I might injure a foot more with my "street" boots than with my moto boots each time I ride, but there's a 100% chance I will injure my foot if I have to walk more than about 100 feet in my moto boots.