Author Topic: 99 problems and this gs is one.  (Read 153 times)

Offline Gs500Fish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
99 problems and this gs is one.
« on: November 08, 2019, 01:12:49 AM »
Hey guys I had recently acquired a very neglected 06 gs500f that surprisingly ran but I knew it wasnít running good enough and it had a bunch of starting problems that drove me nuts. First off the bike had to be jumped by the solenoid, but I didnít feel like doing that every time I stopped so I got a new solenoid and was happy as hell to put it on and start my bike and use the handlebar switch, so turn the key on and hit the switch and to my surprise it doesnít start just dims the lights, so I got a new switch, deleted the safety switches, replaced the plugs and some other stuff and guess what it doesnít start again  :woohoo: so now after looking over the harness and made my way to the resistor pack, now my problem is the parts discontinued for an 06  :bs:  hopefully someone can help point me in the right direction to finding this pack because I want to be able to ride my bike instead of push it around the garage and sit on it lol

Offline RedMark

• AMA Supersport Racer
Re: 99 problems and this gs is one.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 01:52:07 AM »
Checked the battery?

Offline Gs500Fish

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 02:58:36 AM »
Yeah itís charged. I sat and realized I forgot a main problem too. The starter is fine also. Anyway when you jump the solenoid and go to use the kill switch to shut the bike off the starter still spins till you disconnect the battery. From what I read if the resistor pack gets shorted open youíll have starting problems and neutral light problems. Then we are placed with the fact the pack is hard to find or Iím just not looking in the right spots.

Offline Bluesmudge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 10:34:31 PM »
I'm not familiar with the resistor pack. Can you point it out on a parts diagram?
If you didn't know already, the wiring is almost identical for all 2004+ GS500s so make sure it isn't shown as discontinued for '07, '08, '09.
For example, the 2004 exhaust without a catalytic converter is discontinued but you can still buy the 2006+ exhaust that is compatible with all years.

Offline Gs500Fish

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 03:12:13 AM »
I donít have my wire diagram handy but I know itís a three wire connector thatís taped into the harness kind of located behind the rear master cylinder. On the diagram itís the diode, had one saved on my phone.  :hithead:

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 08:26:05 PM »
that's a "diode pack".

You can always just replace with ordinary diodes rather than that pack. Or remove the diode pack and rewire so you don't need that diode logic (as I did). It's there to support the starter lockout of side stand relay, clutch switch, etc.