Author Topic: 1982 GS450E Refresh - Scrambler-ish to Cafe-ish  (Read 1476 times)

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
Re: 1982 GS450E Refresh - Scrambler-ish to Cafe-ish
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2020, 07:46:55 PM »
Cheers guys, really happy with how it's turning out!

The length of the front guard won't keep much crap off the header and engine, but that's how it was with the dirt bike guard anyway. I can't have it any longer or it will smack the header when the forks compress which wouldn't be good for any of it... or me... :)

Was hoping to ride it to work today but I went to turn the ignition on last night to test the GS500 tacho I picked up yesterday, but the barrel has frozen in place. It was getting a bit stiff lately so I guess it's called it quits now so that'll be a fun job for the weekend. Guess I'm riding the Kat to work again today...
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2020, 08:15:38 PM »
The length of the front guard won't keep much crap off the header and engine, but that's how it was with the dirt bike guard anyway. I can't have it any longer or it will smack the header when the forks compress which wouldn't be good for any of it... or me... :)

Right on. Glad you mentioned that, since I may be mudguard-modding my GS500 to fit new bigger tires and I wouldn't have thought to check for this kind of clearance.

My dad has a DR200SE and he decided the front fender was too big and he cut it to make it small, and then ride it in the rain and discovered it deposited dirt and water and mud straight into his face. So he ordered a new stock one and put it back. Funny how sometimes Suzuki knew what they were doing :)

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2020, 07:46:58 PM »
Hahaha oops! The 450 has plenty of protection between the header and motor I could probably leave the guard off entirely... but aside from the fact it's illegal here to do so I still don't really want all that crap being flung up towards the top of the motor and under the triple clamp etc. I also don't want to lose the bit of bracing the front guard does either.

I dismantled the ignition barrel to find three different issues, and it's a wonder it was working at all! The spring holding the little door stopping crap from getting in is broken which I guessed was the case quite some time ago, and of course the graphite I've put in over the years has turned to muck when combined with water and whatever getting in. The third wafer is bent way out of shape and there's no way it was moving at all, and the remaining wafers seem to be worn enough that they don't retract fully.

I'll shuffle the wafers I have around to get the best match I can for the key then I'll have to do a bit of filing on any that don't quite retract enough. Should definitely be fixable though.

Untitled by starpoint73, on Flickr
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2020, 08:14:49 PM »
Well a bit of shuffling plus a small amount of filing and back together again... now to get back to testing the GS500 tacho.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2020, 07:22:19 PM »
Well I finally got it out for a decent ride yesterday after the changes so far.

Definitely more enjoyable to ride again and I had a blast, although encountered a couple of issues.

First one's a simple fix... my rear number plate had started to crack from vibration likely due to the weight of the reflector bolted to the bottom of it, and yesterday my favourite bit of twisty road was the final straw. At the top I discovered it had broken completely and was only being held in place by the height of the LED bolts I use for it. Ooops! It's cable tied on now temporarily.

The other is going to be a bit more effort to fix... essentially I have no top end power. Not having ridden beyond 70 to 80kph since May last year and only commuting, I've not picked up I have an obvious issue once the revs get up and the throttle is open. It sounds and feels like it's way too rich once I open it right up. I essentially had little to no top end in the faster sections yesterday, and it wouldn't even hold 100kph up a hill which it used to do with no fuss at all.

I guess it's time to look into putting an O2 sensor bung in the pipe finally and being a bit more accurate on figuring out the fueling.

I've never successfully removed the pipes myself yet so it won't be an immediate thing but I'll need to tackle that soon, and probably at the same time I should attempt to do something about the header dent and probably some VHT flameproof paint as well.

Untitled by starpoint73, on Flickr
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2020, 02:42:01 PM »
sweet pic pete!  "I guess it's time to look into putting an O2 sensor bung in the pipe finally and being a bit more accurate on figuring out the fueling." I heard this'll turn you into a carb guru.  Need to get one m'self
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2020, 07:40:36 PM »
Hahahaha dunno about turning you into a guru but it certainly takes a lot of guesswork out of tuning! I'm hopeless at reading plug colours from a plug chop, and knowing how far to go on jet size changes from the colour of a plug is a black art to me (pun fully intended!). With an O2 sensor setup I can look at the numbers on the gauge from two different jet sizes and have a reasonable idea if I should go up, or down, and by how much. Or of course if I should just leave it be.

My "seat of the pants" dyno is not accurate at all, so I much prefer something more quantitative.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2020, 08:01:02 PM »
I decided to check the compression last night given the lack of top end and the results weren't good.

Number one has 120 PSI, number two only 100 PSI. Going by the manual 100 PSI is the service limit, but they should be 130 - 170 PSI, and if both cylinders measure under 130 PSI it's time for an overhaul.

So that sort of puts a bit of a damper on the refresh, at least I can still commute on it as it is for a while.

I've been contemplating the GS500 cylinder and piston swap for a while so something like that might be a way forward, but there's no budget for that for quite some time yet at this stage.

I'll still get the GS500 tacho on though as that'll be needed whatever I do.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2020, 03:18:38 PM »
hmmmm, be interesting to see where you go from here
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2020, 07:40:28 PM »
Well I noticed the valve cover gasket appears to be doing some serious leaking also, this will be due to my DIY valve cover gasket. They're now nearly $50 for OEM which is a bit rude for a perishable regular service item.

So my plan is to pick an oil filter up this week, finish making a new valve cover gasket (started last night, it's tedious), and drop the oil after work on Friday and get the service done over the weekend.

I'll have a look down the spark plug holes as best I can, double check all the valve clearances, re-test compression, etc. and see if I can see anything to help me understand where the problem lies. I won't be pulling the head off or anything just yet.

In order to be able to ride the Kat to work while taking the 450 apart a bit more comprehensively I need to fix the leaking fork seal (re-chroming or replacing the stanchions is required for that) and sort out the luggage situation. I only have a Hallmark (pre-Ventura brand) bag which is good but not waterproof, so not great for those damp commuting challenges that crop up.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana