Author Topic: Son of "Old #8"  (Read 231 times)

Offline brucedavidculver

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Local Club Racer
Son of "Old #8"
« on: December 01, 2019, 11:30:16 PM »
Several years ago I built a cafe racer / scrambler out of one of my GS 500Fs which I was pretty pleased with.  The thread for the bike is here:

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=72358.msg871348#msg871348

Of course, about 30 seconds after selling that bike I regretted it and have wanted to do another one for a while.  Unfortunately, there is sort of a "one project at a time" rule at my house (lol) so I had to wait until my GS 450 project was completed to start the new GS 500 project. Pics of the GS 450 are here:

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=73176.0

So... the new GS 500 project is underway.  I've posted some free parts that have been stripped from it here:

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=73177.0

and I've had a few requests for a build thread as a result so I figured... what that heck.

Having just decided to start this thread, I am jumping in after a few a weeks of off-and-on work (sorry) but I'll try to keep it updated for anyone that's interested.   The initial goal with the current build was to duplicate everything I liked about #8 and improve a few of the shortcomings (#8 was kind of a budget build with some self-imposed limits)  However, after getting started on this latest build, I've gotten a real case of "wouldn't it be cool if..." so the scope has continued to grow.       

The donor bike was a 2005 GS 500 F with only 3000 miles... almost a pity to sacrifice it but I'm hoping that the end will justify the means.

What's been done so far... (unfortunately I tend to work in a very stream-of-consciousness way so there isn't always a rhyme or reason to the order)

The bike has been torn down as far as it will need to be for this project.  All the superfluous mounts, frame parts, etc... have been removed and the frame has been touched up as required. 

I really wanted to use clip-ons for this bike (for aesthetic reasons) and get rid of the stock cluster.  However, as I didn't want a super-sport position, I modified the triple tree so I would be able clamp the bars at the top of the stanchions and at the same time created a cut out for the replacement mini-cluster (see pic).  I also removed the handlebar clamps from the top of the triple tree... amazing what you can do with your tile saw, a metal circular saw blade and bit of determination. lol

While I was at it, I decided to eliminate the keyed ignition and replaced it with a hidden kill switch (wanted to put the new speedo where the ignition was anyway). 

The gas tank is off and currently at the painter (a.k.a the shed at the back of the yard) where it will get painted white... had hoped to find a pre-2001 tank but this one was in pristine shape so I stuck with it.

Footpegs replaced (that was easy)

One thing I never liked about almost every GS 500 mod that I've seen (including my previous ones) is that once the rear plastics are removed, everyone just seems to throw a number plate behind the tank to cover the battery, electronics etc...  I wanted to clean up the middle of the bike and move everything forward so that it could be better hidden behind the frame and sit closer to the engine, and move anything that wouldn't fit there to the back of the bike.  To accomplish this, the airbox was replaced by pods to make more room.  I'm now in the process of moving the battery forward and electronics under the rear seat hump.  This worked well on the GS 450 and so far so good on the 500. 

Still on the to do list... going to go with shorty, dual-exhausts that will run down both sides of the bike and need to modify the header pipes accordingly, remove the oil cooler (as I have on prior builds) and lower the foot pegs, since the replacement seat will be lower than stock.  I'm still undecided on the rear of the bike aesthetically, including lights, etc... hence the lack of tail loop.  I also need to remove the front fairing mount and remnants of the ignition lock on the head tube... just need some blades for sawzall.  :icon_twisted:  A few other decisions to be made but all in all...well on the way.   

That's probably enough to get the thread started. I've included a pic of the parts that have yet to be installed as this will give a good idea of the final vision... groovin' on the dual headlight, never used one on a bike before. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 05:21:08 AM by brucedavidculver »
2005 GS500F (current project)
2017 Benelli TNT600
2004 GS500F (scrambler mod) SOLD
2009 GS500F (street fighter mod) SOLD
1982 GS450 (café racer mod) SOLD

Offline brucedavidculver

• Local Club Racer
Re: Son of "Old #8"
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 12:41:19 AM »

While I was at it, I decided to eliminate the keyed ignition and replaced it with a hidden kill switch (wanted to put the new speedo where the ignition was anyway). 

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 12:44:18 AM by brucedavidculver »
2017 Benelli TNT600

Offline Zeltoid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
  • Mark10:45
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 01:27:14 AM »
...and need to remove the oil cooler (as I have on prior builds).

You can just remove that? I suppose it's not needed when the fairings are gone..? Good to know, I always hated the look of that little thing without the fairing on.

Looking forward to seeing your build Bruce!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 01:28:54 AM by Zeltoid »
Just a pilgrim passin' through...

Offline brucedavidculver

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 01:42:02 AM »
...and need to remove the oil cooler (as I have on prior builds).

You can just remove that? I suppose it's not needed when the fairings are gone..? Good to know, I always hated the look of that little thing without the fairing on.

Looking forward to seeing your build Bruce!

Absolutely... you just need to run a line in its place so that the oil can still flow.  Prior to the the fairings, the GSs didn't have them.

If you're handy you can braze something up using the existing banjo fittings... I'll post pics when I do mine.   

Completely agree about the appearance... "U-G-L-Y, you ain't go no alibi!"     

2017 Benelli TNT600

Offline Zeltoid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
  • Mark10:45
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 01:47:25 AM »

If you're handy you can braze something up using the existing banjo fittings... I'll post pics when I do mine.   

Been a while since brazing ;) Sounds good!
Just a pilgrim passin' through...

Offline Bluesmudge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 04:40:23 PM »
I actually like the look of the oil cooler  :dunno_black:

Have you run pods on a GS500 before? They are notorious for being hard to jet for across the entire rev range. K&N lunchbox filter is slightly more successful.

Keep posting! Can't wait to see what this turns into.

Offline brucedavidculver

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 04:49:17 PM »
I actually like the look of the oil cooler  :dunno_black:

Have you run pods on a GS500 before? They are notorious for being hard to jet for across the entire rev range. K&N lunchbox filter is slightly more successful.

Keep posting! Can't wait to see what this turns into.

Don't jinx me...lol. I have run them on the 450 but not the 500 as of yet.  As I had them handy I thought I would give them a try since they were already paid for.  It'll be a few weeks before everything gets reassembled with the new pipe so time will tell.

I'll share my success story (I'm an optimist) when it's running again. :thumb:     
2017 Benelli TNT600

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 05:17:11 PM »
that's exactly what my first question was, Blue,...

Hope to read your experience with pods or whatever it is you decide to do.  Great start!  Love the read! :star: :star: :star:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline brucedavidculver

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 02:13:36 AM »
that's exactly what my first question was, Blue,...

Hope to read your experience with pods or whatever it is you decide to do.  Great start!  Love the read! :star: :star: :star:

Now you guys have me paranoid... sitting here with my finger hovering over the "Buy-it-Now" button for the K&N lunchbox... lol.

(click) 
2017 Benelli TNT600

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 03:01:34 PM »
I have the k&N and with my 96 carbs I really struggled.  I swapped in some 04 carbs and they've been much better.
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline brucedavidculver

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 03:28:41 AM »
Painting of the tank and top of the triple are done. Thought I would try my hand at the striping.  Ended up with a few tiny  bubbles here and there but I have about 15 feet of striping so I suspect the bubbles will get on my nerves enough in the next day or so that I will tear them off and try again. Lol.  Hoping to get some work done on the tail and relocate some of the wiring this weekend.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 05:26:11 AM by brucedavidculver »
2017 Benelli TNT600

Offline brucedavidculver

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 03:48:22 AM »
Also decided to do a quick pre-assembly of the top triple and the speedo just to make sure that everything fits together as it should when it goes on the bike...so far no surprises.  :woohoo:
2017 Benelli TNT600

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 03:47:34 PM »
sweeet,....!
-buddha

Offline brucedavidculver

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 03:57:09 AM »
sweeet,....!

Thanks... it's getting there slowly but surely. 
2017 Benelli TNT600

Offline brucedavidculver

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 04:26:01 AM »
So... time for a seat.  With the tank temporarily installed I started getting the seat modified and in position.  I changed course and decided to use a shorter seat than I had originally planned.  The more I looked at my original choice I was less inspired by the seat pan (a bit flimsy) and since I've had success with a particular seat in the past I decided to stick with what I knew. I peeled the cover off the front of the new seat so that I could change the contour of the seat pan to fit up against the tank a bit better.  10 minutes with the Dremel and that was done and the seat cover was stapled back on.     

Next I added a few cross members to the frame that corresponded to the position of the bumpers under the seat.  The cross members will also provide mounting space for the regulator/rectifier, battery, etc... (next on the agenda).  I decided to spring for a lithium-ion battery to save space and weight so I'll hardly need any space for that. 

I used 1" wide, 1/8" stock cut to length and attached it by drilling and tapping holes in the frame then using machine screws counter sunk through the stock.  I also applied JB Weld between the cross members and the frame, and to the screw heads (once they were in place).  I'll go back and sand and paint everything after the JB Weld dries, so the look will end up being pretty seamless.

I had planned initially on using a tail loop on this build, but as my welding is not coming along as quickly as I'd hoped, and as this method has worked well in the past, I stuck with it. 

The seat itself had rear mounts that were almost the perfect width to bolt directly to the back of the frame so all I needed to do was create and install the front "mount."  I like to make use of the existing hardware whenever possible so in this case I just needed to replicate the front "stub" on the stock seat that slips under the tank and into the seat mount.

The stock mount is plastic (no metal to metal contact = no rust) so there was no reason to deviate from that... it was just a question of finding suitable plastic and cutting and attaching it via the bolts that were already built into the new seat. 

A $3 plastic cutting board from Dollar General (oh yes... I'm cheap) was the perfect material, thickness and stiffness (and did I mention price?) so it got volunteered for the job.       

A few quick measurements and the requisite pieces were cut from the board, screwed and glued together and bolted to the seat (also epoxied once the fit was confirmed).

Next... onto the electronics!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 05:28:22 AM by brucedavidculver »
2017 Benelli TNT600

Offline brucedavidculver

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 04:44:00 AM »
Next I added a few cross members to the frame that corresponded to the position of the bumpers under the seat.  The cross members will also provide mounting space for the regulator/rectifier, battery, etc... (next on the agenda).  I decided to spring for a lithium-ion battery to save space and weight so I'll hardly need any space for that. 

I used 1" wide, 1/8" stock cut to length and attached it by drilling and tapping holes in the frame then using machine screws counter sunk through the stock.  I also applied JB Weld between the cross members and the frame, and to the screw heads (once they were in place).  I'll go back and sand and paint them after everything dries, so the look ends up being pretty seamless.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 05:45:26 AM by brucedavidculver »
2017 Benelli TNT600

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2019, 03:28:13 PM »
this made my morning,...love to see stuff like this
"A $3 plastic cutting board from Dollar General"
-buddha

Offline brucedavidculver

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 04:18:22 PM »
this made my morning,...love to see stuff like this
"A $3 plastic cutting board from Dollar General"

Wait... so Farberware does not have a history of producing high quality motorcycle parts and accessories?  :dunno_black:

Damn, I better return those oven mitts I was going to mod into winter riding gloves. 
2017 Benelli TNT600