Author Topic: How much should I pay for this GS500?  (Read 328 times)

Offline aconti2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Re: How much should I pay for this GS500?
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2020, 06:26:38 PM »
Sorry, petcock and gas cap holes yes.

I will perform that test when I reassemble. I didn't feel like messing with it too much because I knew I wanted to get that nasty gas out of there and go through things right away. I'll report back and maybe take a video if the problem persists.

Offline aconti2

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2020, 01:31:19 PM »
Another fun thing I found out while studying how to assemble everything is that this bike is missing the drain hose from the bottom of the airbox, the tank drain hose, and the hose that connects to the top of the carbs.

Would any of these cause an issue while testing since they all essentially lead to nothing? Also anyone know what kind of hose I could need to track down?

Hoping I can assemble and test tomorrow as long as my O rings come in the mail today!

Also I am finally FREE of those dang questions.

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2020, 01:53:06 PM »
Mine is missing two out of three of those. Big thing is the vent hose for the carbs needs to NOT be facing forward otherwise you will have stalling at speed.

Any hose that will fit is fine. Somewhere poking around the forums is a hose routing diagram, I'm too lazy to find it but you probably are not.

Offline aconti2

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2020, 02:06:18 PM »
Mine is missing two out of three of those. Big thing is the vent hose for the carbs needs to NOT be facing forward otherwise you will have stalling at speed.

Any hose that will fit is fine. Somewhere poking around the forums is a hose routing diagram, I'm too lazy to find it but you probably are not.

Awesome, that's all I needed to know! You are correct, I  found this amazing resource to fool proof putting the lines back on. Trying to save all my questions for things I can't seem to find on my own.

http://www.bbburma.net/FuelHoseRouting.htm

Offline aconti2

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2020, 02:20:17 AM »
Got her all together again today!.......and no dice.

First thing I noticed is my neutral light is no one longer working.

When trying to start it weakly tries to turn over a couple times and then turns to battery clicking. Before I took it apart it started up just fine.

Would there be something I disconnected that would mess with the neutral light AND starting or am I looking at a compounding issue. Trying to start with the clutch in of course.

Offline brucedavidculver

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2020, 06:15:21 AM »

When trying to start it weakly tries to turn over a couple times and then turns to battery clicking. Before I took it apart it started up just fine.

The "click, click, click, click" usually = low battery in my experience.  If you have a tender, charge it overnight and that may be that (hopefully). 

I wouldn't be too concerned about the neutral light until the battery is ruled out.  What about the oil light?  On when you are trying to start the bike?
2005 GS500F (current project)
2017 Benelli TNT600
2004 GS500F (scrambler mod) SOLD
2009 GS500F (street fighter mod) SOLD
1982 GS450 (café racer mod) SOLD

Offline aconti2

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2020, 01:44:30 PM »

The "click, click, click, click" usually = low battery in my experience.  If you have a tender, charge it overnight and that may be that (hopefully). 

I wouldn't be too concerned about the neutral light until the battery is ruled out.  What about the oil light?  On when you are trying to start the bike?

Oil light turns on and I believe it would turn off temporarily while it was cranking. Also I'll add that it was below freezing last night so I'm sure that didnt help me. When I bought the bike initially it fired right up but it was in the 60s. Dude said he bought a new battery for it so I guess I'm off to get a charger.

Offline aconti2

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2020, 04:11:04 PM »
Just went over to Walmart and picked up a battery tender junior. Only getting the blinking red light  :icon_confused:

Could a battery that just worked last week be so shot it cant be charged?

Offline brucedavidculver

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2020, 06:32:33 PM »
Just went over to Walmart and picked up a battery tender junior. Only getting the blinking red light  :icon_confused:

Could a battery that just worked last week be so shot it cant be charged?

It depends on what the dude's version of "new" is I suppose.  Everything has to die at some point... and rarely conveniently... lol

I assume it is not a wet cell since its new?  If it is, check the water levels as well.  Low water would keep it from accepting a charge.   

I was only curios about the oil light because that bulb shares a wire with the neutral bulb (if my memory serves me).  If they were both dead I would be more concerned about it being electrical.... plus "click click click" should mean that juice is getting where it needs to go... just not enough.  Also, it's easy to pull the bulbs out from the back and switch them... just to rule out the bulb itself or a connection at the gauge.

My $$$ is still on the battery.   
2017 Benelli TNT600

Offline aconti2

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2020, 07:13:04 PM »
It's a sealed battery so no water level I don't think.

Anyways I brought it to advanced auto parts. Guy said it was reading 11 volts which to my understanding is pretty dead? He said he would through it on their charger and let me know what happens.

Offline brucedavidculver

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2020, 07:32:04 PM »
 :cry: :cry: :cry:
2017 Benelli TNT600

Offline aconti2

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2020, 08:27:54 PM »

Offline aconti2

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2020, 01:01:51 PM »
Ok, Advanced auto parts got some juice in the battery. You were right about the nuetral light it came back on. Left it on the tender overnight and we'll see what happens when the wife gets home!

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2020, 01:26:02 PM »
My bet is you have a dead cell. These batteries have 1.2v cells in series. One bad cell will result in a battery that is only 12.0 v fully charged and 10.8v when low. 12.0 will start the bike but it falls below that quickly making it seem like it only holds a charge for a minute. You can get an AGM battery at Walmart for $40. Not worth the hassle of debugging to much IMHO.

Offline aconti2

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2020, 03:39:00 PM »
My bet is you have a dead cell. These batteries have 1.2v cells in series. One bad cell will result in a battery that is only 12.0 v fully charged and 10.8v when low. 12.0 will start the bike but it falls below that quickly making it seem like it only holds a charge for a minute. You can get an AGM battery at Walmart for $40. Not worth the hassle of debugging to much IMHO.

Battery read 12.5 at AAP and took a few good hours to read as 80% charged on my tender so I'm optimistic it charged to a point well north of that.

Offline aconti2

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2020, 09:07:14 PM »
Ok guys, got the GS all fired up. She now will also run! Just not very well.

So here's the issue.

If I set the idle to run normally the bike would alternate between functioning normally and dying.

If I set the idle higher it fluctuates between very high idle and regular functioning.

It basically feels like my bike has two minds that its switching back and forth between. Any thoughts? Tests I can do?

Offline aconti2

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2020, 09:41:50 PM »
I forgot to add that the engine power comes and goes with these surges. When its low it was struggling to not stall going up the hill from my house.

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #37 on: Today at 08:33:44 PM »
That all sounds like the slides are not moving up and down as they should, could be due to a vacuum leak, torn diaphragm, other issues. Vacuum leak means low vacuum and slide doesn't come up when it should, bike stalls or fails to accelerate. Vacuum leak is restored briefly and suddenly the slides come up and it races the engine, only to then die once the vac leak resumes. The slides are pulled up by vacuum applied to the diaphragm so leaking, poorly seated diaphragm, or one damaged by carb cleaner or torn, will cause this. Missing or leaking vacuum caps on the carbs are next most likely, followed by missing o-rings under the vacuum caps, and then intake boot o-rings are bad or intake boots leaking. That's most of the places for a vacuum leak to be.