Author Topic: Newest Member of the Family  (Read 742 times)

Offline brucedavidculver

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AMA Supersport Racer
Newest Member of the Family
« on: February 03, 2020, 10:43:13 PM »
With the current build "almost" finished, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to add to the stable when it came along. A 2006 with about 5,000 mi is now sitting in my garage (after riding it home in a 40° rain on Saturday).   It's bone stock except for the flush mounted blinkers and a horrible attempt at removing the rear fender. Lol. I've wanted to do another scrambler project so come spring time, that will probably be what this gets turned into. In the meantime, I have enough bits from past builds that a new pipe, levers and a few other odds and ends are on the agenda. I'll post the pics as it progresses but it will remain more or less a stock GS until the scrambler makeover.  I was lucky to find this one, it is in pristine condition, obviously never laid down and kept indoors. No rust, no scratches... just a whole lot of dust. Lol.  Poor thing. 
2006 GS500F (latest project and probable "scrambler-type-thing")
2005 GS500F (“café-ish"mod)
2017 Benelli TNT600 SOLD
2004 GS500F (scrambler mod) SOLD
2009 GS500F (street fighter mod) SOLD
1982 GS450 (café racer mod) SOLD

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MotoGP Racer
Re: Newest Member of the Family
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 04:55:54 PM »
What's better than one gs?  :woohoo:

You could just leave that beauty like it is!  Or, give to me and find another one :D  That one is a beauty!
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline brucedavidculver

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 10:40:18 PM »
What's better than one gs?  :woohoo:

You could just leave that beauty like it is!  Or, give to me and find another one :D  That one is a beauty!

Thanks! Funny you say that... well, not because I was going to give it to you (sorry), but you're right, it's almost too nice for a "donor" bike.  I'll have to wait and see once Spring rolls around.   
2017 Benelli TNT600 SOLD

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 04:12:10 PM »
Definitely!  Looks great!  I've always wanted one but never found a faired version around here,..affordable anyways.

What's better than two gs?
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline Bluesmudge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 09:03:57 PM »
Definately too nice for a scrambler conversion! I've always wanted to find a low mileage garage queen like that. It's like having a brand new bike.

Offline brucedavidculver

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 03:43:08 AM »
So after a closer inspection I have found lots of "reasons" to do some work on the new bike (a.k.a. justifying a little expenditure so I can  tinker and have some fun).   Plans are as follows:

- Not sure what is going on with the battery box, but it looks like the previous owner took a saw to it?!?!  A good portion of it just isn't there (and there is a zip tie involved)... lol. So that will need replacement.  Not an exciting job but clearly necessary.

- The speedo and tach dampers are more or less disintegrated... easy replacement there.  Curious that all the other rubber on the bike seems practically new. 

- Crankcase covers (side emblems) have a few scratches and the bike is so close to new looking I'm going to replace those just to make it spiffy.

- Tail tidy / fender eliminator is a given. There was some sort of attempt by the previous owner that involved a hack saw and a drill to mount the plate directly to the cowl (ouch!) so that will have to be addressed. I may do a short "how to" thread on that since I can't seem to find one (anyone know of one?)

- I already have a Delkevic stainless pipe and carbon exhaust that are just dying to be put to good use.

- And then there are the turn signals... the previous owner replaced them with flush mounts but installed them on the spots on the cowls that aren't actually flat so the they don't really "fit."  That I'm kind of excited about, as it will be a real project.  At this point the plan is to fill the mounting holes and repaint the cowls, then install some different flush mounts some place where they actually will sit flush.

Seems like the scrambler project will officially have to wait for another donor... this bike is just too nice let it go to waste. 

I guess that means this bike is destined to be the new "slightly-hopped-up-daily-driver."  lol

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 03:46:31 AM by brucedavidculver »
2017 Benelli TNT600 SOLD

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 05:05:53 AM »
I'm soooooo glad to know you're not going to go with your original plan for this one!! It really is a beauty.

Fenderectomies (haha what a word!) are quite common, there is a section dedicated to it in the wiki. I've even donated a few of my own pics for it.
http://wiki.gstwins.com/index.php?n=Upgrades.Fenderectomy

That is crazy about the battery box! I wonder what the PO was thinking/doing :dunno_black:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 04:09:35 PM »

That's great!  Really happy too that you decided to let it be what it is!  That's a beautiful bike! :thumb:
-buddha

Offline brucedavidculver

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 01:22:03 PM »
So despite the little voice in the back of my head saying "noooo… don't do it" (as well as a few folks on the forum) I am moving forward with some mods to the latest edition.  Somehow, it just doesn't feel right having two fully functional bikes in the garage...lol.  And I have to be honest, trying to live vicariously through some of the other great build threads on the forum right now is just making me envious. 

Not sure exactly what direction I am going to go. I originally had a scrambler in mind but feel like I'm leaning toward a "dirt tracker" type thing. My builds typically take on a life of their own anyway and I just go with the flow.

So to start, bodywork is off and a "standard" bucket headlight is on for now, since I had an extra (although I'm not sure if that will stay).  Ideally, I'd like to try to keep it somewhat rideable during most of the build... but we'll see. 

I wanted a smaller front fender so I made a new one using the same process as this one:

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=73201.0

but cut the sides to give it a more scrambler/dirt tracker look... paint will come later.  I also raised the fender mount as I am anticipating a Shinko 705 or similar tire.   

The absolute best part of the project so far was getting to "upgrade" my 2 year old neighbor's trike.  He runs outside almost every day when I start the bike to go to work and loves everything motorcycle related.  So I couldn't resist...         

To be continued...             
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 04:38:18 PM by brucedavidculver »
2017 Benelli TNT600 SOLD

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 02:04:04 PM »
2 year old's trike winning!  That's good stuff :icon_lol:

Still feel bad for your bike.  It was so perfect. :dunno_white:

I love having multi functional bikes in the garage to ride to work.  Friday,..gsxr1000,...Monday gs,....Tuesday,...125,...hmm  Wednesday,.... haha.  I guess I still have the r1 as the 'project.'

Anyways, can't wait to see what you do with it!   
-buddha

Offline SK Racing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 02:39:03 PM »
Can't wait to see where you're going with this one!  :cheers:
You don’t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding!
1939 Panther 600cc Single - Stolen, 1970 Suzuki 50cc - Sold
1969 Triumph Bonneville 650 T120R - Sold, 1981 Honda 750F - Sold
1989 Suzuki GS500E - Sold, 2004 Suzuki GS500F - Current ride

Offline Bluesmudge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 09:17:12 PM »
I'm very interested in the pristine fairings you are taking off. You don't find them in that condition very often! PM me details if/when you are still willing to do a "just pay shipping and handling" sort of deal.

As much as it pains me to see you dismantle such a perfect example of an F model, I can't wait to see what you create this time.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 09:19:28 PM by Bluesmudge »

Offline brucedavidculver

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 03:58:52 PM »
I'm very interested in the pristine fairings you are taking off. You don't find them in that condition very often! PM me details if/when you are still willing to do a "just pay shipping and handling" sort of deal.

As much as it pains me to see you dismantle such a perfect example of an F model, I can't wait to see what you create this time.

I'll try not to disappoint on the upcoming build.  :thumb:  As far as the side panels go... ummm.  Sorry man... you're a day late and a dollar short.   :cry:

Funny story though...  I actually had a guy on a pretty ragged out '09 GS follow me into a parking lot about a month ago right after I finished my cafe'd out '05, just to check out the bike (he didn't even realize it was a GS) and we got to talking.  I told him I had an '06 GS that I was thinking about partially parting out and he asked if he could have the plastics if I did.  When I decided about a week ago to mod the '06, I texted him and he came over and picked the side panels up the same day. The best part was that he strapped the side panels to his back and rode them home on his GS.  I should have gotten a picture... lol.  My neighbor has the front fairing (see above) and the rear cowl was actually a bit chewed up from a botched light job from the PO so that got tossed.               
2017 Benelli TNT600 SOLD

Offline brucedavidculver

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 04:00:13 PM »

Anyways, can't wait to see what you do with it!

I've got a few ideas... trying to coalesce them into a concept before I go too far. 
2017 Benelli TNT600 SOLD

Offline brucedavidculver

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 04:02:15 PM »
Can't wait to see where you're going with this one!  :cheers:

I don't know... your build thread is super bad-ass so far.  :bowdown:  Mine may pale in comparison... lol
2017 Benelli TNT600 SOLD

Offline brucedavidculver

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 09:02:06 PM »
Ok... seems like this is an "official" build thread at this point, so I'd better do some building.  lol. 

I already know that I am going to end up with a lower café/brat style seat (ordered yesterday) so to get a comfortable position I'm going to end up lowering the pegs.  I'm also planning on getting all the frame mods out of the way up front (last build it seemed like I was grinding something off and repainting every week... lol).  So the initial to do list is as follows:

- Removal of all the superfluous seat "stuff" and getting ready for the new seat
- Lowering the pegs (and exhaust) which also means relocating the rear brake reservoir
- Removing the existing exhaust mount (although I promised charming wife the rear pegs would stay on, as this is the only two-seater currently in the stable)   
- Modifying the existing sub-fender so that it can be reused. Last build I got rid of it for some reason early on and then lamented having to source a substitute later in the process.

With the three-day weekend, hopefully I can get some work done and post some updates by Monday. 

:thumb:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:09:29 PM by brucedavidculver »
2017 Benelli TNT600 SOLD

Offline brucedavidculver

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2020, 03:04:35 AM »
Moving right along...

All the yardwork got done yesterday so I had a full day to work on the bike today (a nice treat!).  Almost everything on the initial list got done so hopefully I can move onto some fun stuff next week... making it look like "something."  I've still not completely decided what that will be, but for sure it's going to involve outright knobbies, or al least dual sport tires. 

I still need to paint the mount for the rear brake reservoir, but the new exhaust is on, the old mount has been ground off of the passenger peg mount, the pegs are where I want them (slightly down and back), the sub fender has been modified and the frame cleaned up to allow for the new seat which is on its way via slow boat from China.

Much of this was just copied from my last build (if it ain't broke don't fix it) so it went quickly as there wasn't really any "design" involved... mostly just some "build."   

The best part so far is that I really haven't had to buy anything for this project... just using materials that are kicking around the garage.   :woohoo:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 03:13:29 AM by brucedavidculver »
2017 Benelli TNT600 SOLD

Offline brucedavidculver

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 02:12:02 AM »
Man I hate to waste things....

While I was working on cleaning up the rear of the frame I started thinking about the rear fender (and rear of the bike in general) which was one of the parts of my last build with which I wasn't entirely happy.  Since I had three "half-front" fenders sitting around from building custom front fenders I figured I would have a go at putting them to use on the rear.

I bolted one onto the frame and it seemed like it had some potential as a rear fender but was missing "something."  Cutting another one down and adding it to each side to give the fender a more symmetrical look (held in place temporarily by some tape) really had me intrigued so I went ahead and built up a custom rear, using the same basic technique as the front. 

I'm not completely convinced I'll use it (the seam still needs a bit of work and the mounting bolts on the side stick out like sore thumbs) but it only took about two hours to make and I had a bit of fun.  It definitely begs for a round number on it though.

We'll see...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 02:32:39 AM by brucedavidculver »
2017 Benelli TNT600 SOLD

Offline SK Racing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2020, 06:32:13 AM »
Bruce, I'm following your build, but I'm wondering where you're going with this...  :dunno_black:

I respect your eagerness and willingness to experiment, though. Keep it up bud. I'm working at a much slower pace.  :angel:
You don’t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding!
1939 Panther 600cc Single - Stolen, 1970 Suzuki 50cc - Sold
1969 Triumph Bonneville 650 T120R - Sold, 1981 Honda 750F - Sold
1989 Suzuki GS500E - Sold, 2004 Suzuki GS500F - Current ride

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 01:42:15 PM »
Love me some 'use what i got' theme! :rstar:
-buddha