Author Topic: Ideas for fixing front engine mounting.  (Read 90 times)

Offline Oscar_Muffin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Ideas for fixing front engine mounting.
« on: February 14, 2020, 04:06:57 AM »
So I finally managed to free my front engine mount. After 2 weeks of swearing and hammering and a... broken finger (Don't hit your finger with a 10 lb hammer). I managed to get it free. Lots of WD-40, MAPP gas and a grossly over-sized hammer did the trick eventually.

However, I only managed this by making 2 cuts in the mount with an angle grinder (See image)

The problem now is how to repair those cuts. I'm either thinking of getting some aluminium plate the same same thickness and using it as a packing, then just having it welded in place.

Or I could notch both of those cuts and have them filled with just the welding filler.

Which one do you think would be the better option as I don't want that mount to cave in on me and snap off when I tighten the mounting bolt.

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
Re: Ideas for fixing front engine mounting.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 12:02:22 PM »
If I understand the picture correctly, looks like the cuts are in the engine casing. Isn't that cast aluminum?

Can you weld cast aluminum?

If you just want to fill the gaps, I'd use Devcon Plastic Steel Putty. Or if you really don't care at all about structure, even JB weld can fill the gaps, although it can be tricky to get into adhere to aluminum.

Offline Oscar_Muffin

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 05:31:47 PM »
Theres a machine shop in the city near me that does TIG, Just have to figure out what I want doing. I donít want use any sort of epoxy because it needs strength. If I left it like that and tightened the front mount Iíve got a feeling that it would stress those two outer sections and break them off. Would bend the frame while itís at it too.

Offline Joolstacho

• AMA Superbike Racer
    • www.gigarboxblues.com.au
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 11:50:09 PM »
Yes those slots have to be welded. I don't think even putting aluminium plate fillers in there would be good because it would be virtually impossible to get them pitting perfectly, and that's what it would need.
It needs a VERY solid fix as there's no strength in the frame there, and tightening the bolt could put lots of stress on the crankcase if it's not dead solid.
Beam me up Scottie....

Offline The Buddha

• The guru Ba-moo-derator
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 04:57:30 PM »
I've had engine cases welded, its a simple filler style job in this case. Just need a good welder.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------