Author Topic: Where to buy carburetor rebuild kits  (Read 458 times)

Offline gaspaonrocks

• Local Club Racer
Where to buy carburetor rebuild kits
« on: March 11, 2020, 02:25:51 AM »
Hello everyone.

I'm planning on cleaning and rebuilding the carburetors on my 03 GS500. But I have a hard time finding where to buy kit with the pieces that (eventually) need replacement.

Anyone can point me to a website or a thread here to look for that kind of thing ? Thanks !

[EDIT]  Also, seems like there are 2 models of carburetors, how can I identify which one I'm dealing with ?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 02:35:18 AM by gaspaonrocks »

Offline AlexPerkins

• Local Club Racer
Re: Where to buy carburetor rebuild kits
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 05:49:52 AM »
Hey man!

Someone on reddit said All-balls has a good kit. I ordered mine through a community shop that I'll be working at. I trust shops for having quality resources with quality products.

I'm doing a carb rebuild myself on my 00' GS500.

Here is a fantastic video that actually talks about the differences between the carburetors. You're version is the newer one, with 3 jets instead of two, 4 screws on all the corners of the float bowl.

https://youtu.be/AJh1hxNf7BA

Cheers man! Hope the process is easy going!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 05:55:21 AM by AlexPerkins »

Offline gaspaonrocks

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 06:29:51 AM »
Thanks for the swift replay, AlexPerkins.

Ok so this is what I got for now.

The carburetor I'm looking for is the Mikuni BSR 34.

On Mikuni official site, I found this : http://www.mikunipower.com/RebuildKits.htm where you can scroll to Mikuni MK-BSR36-34 and find "a" kit that would be helpful. It says that it is used on the Suzuki DRZ400 E/S/M.

Finally on AllBalls website, they're selling kit for that bike (the DRZ) here https://www.allballsracing.com/26-1265.html.

Man it is so confusing to take care of your motorcycle...

Thanks.

Offline The Buddha

• The guru Ba-moo-derator
  • Administrator
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 07:17:51 AM »
WTF $43 ???? for 1 carb - and 1/2 that crap you dont need. Or are wrong for the GS to start with.
Pilot jets, mains need to be +1 over stock, all the metal parts - you don't need those. Mids - yea dot need em, air screw nope, phillips head screws for the bowls - Like WTF, we purposefully replace phillips with allen head.
The only parts you need are those rubber parts.
You can buy generic O rings for a few $$. That float gasket if you need that you have to get it from a rebuild kit - That you should try to buy from a place like K&L supply. This "kit" is just stupid.

Cool.
Srinath.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

Offline The Buddha

• Administrator
  • Motorcycle God!

Offline gaspaonrocks

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 08:51:12 AM »
The only parts you need are those rubber parts.
You can buy generic O rings for a few $$. That float gasket if you need that you have to get it from a rebuild kit - That you should try to buy from a place like K&L supply. This "kit" is just stupid.

Ok, I guess it narrows my research quite a bit. But it'll still be at least 20 for each carb. Without shipping.

Let's hope it'll arrive fast so I can ride reliably.

Thanks for the input.

Offline The Buddha

• Administrator
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 05:03:07 PM »
Unless you are leaking at the float bowl - buy generic O rings.
Cool.
Buddha.

Offline gaspaonrocks

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 04:21:59 AM »
Given the situation with the pandemic, I am not expecting parts I need anytime soon. So I went ahead and tried to disassemble my carbs to clean them up and see what was wrong.

The first thing I'll have to do is replace all the Phillips screws, because every single one of them stripped while trying to unscrew them.
The throttle sensor or at least the plastic case was so brittle it broke while I was holding it...

It's going to be a difficult and long task. Especially while not being able to order parts.

Stay safe people.

Offline The Buddha

• Administrator
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 10:55:07 AM »
90% of the time, the parts people order are not required, or there are ways around the problem.
O rings are generic, I have had pretty decent luck with buying them from local power transmission parts supplier (bearing distributors, motion industries, Fastenal etc). The Float Gasket - here you may get by with the Permatex gasketmaker (purple stuff) and wd40 if its not broken.
Cool.
Buddha.

Offline johnny ro

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 01:13:15 PM »
Given the situation with the pandemic, I am not expecting parts I need anytime soon. So I went ahead and tried to disassemble my carbs to clean them up and see what was wrong.

The first thing I'll have to do is replace all the Phillips screws, because every single one of them stripped while trying to unscrew them.
The throttle sensor or at least the plastic case was so brittle it broke while I was holding it...

It's going to be a difficult and long task. Especially while not being able to order parts.

Stay safe people.

So sorry but the soft screws are not Philips. They are JIS. I have not stripped anything since I bought my JIS screwdriver set. They fit perfectly. 

Offline Random00

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 09:57:27 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/i/254457826089?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=254457826089&targetid=886140166958&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1025580&poi=&campaignid=9426387570&mkgroupid=98549529271&rlsatarget=pla-886140166958&abcId=1140476&merchantid=134776520&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoPfP89CS6AIVT_DACh3Ndgx6EAQYAiABEgLaX_D_BwE
That carb float bowl gasket is NOT correct.   I've found several companies that ship that gasket and it doesn't fit.  Look at the difference between the carb float bowl gasket on this one.  https://www.allballsracing.com/26-1265.html  and compare it to the ebay linked on.  There's a big difference.  on my 2000 GS500e, you need the AllBallsRacing shaped gasket not the ebay shaped gasket.   It wouldn't hurt to pull your carbs/float bowls and take at look to see which you have.   I think the ebay link is for the "2 screw" carbs and the ALLBALLSRACING is for the 4 screw carbs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk