Author Topic: 2006 GS500 ALL Issues  (Read 826 times)

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
Re: 2006 GS500 ALL Issues
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2020, 06:20:25 AM »
just start a self-tapping sheet metal screw in the little hole that's already there and pull them straight out with pliers.

Now, I know you didn't just pull the carbs for no good reason and put them back without replacing all of the o-rings, right?

because it will have done little good overall. and you missed a great chance to increase the pilot jet size. and if you didn't remove the pilot jets then there's a pretty good chance those little bitty jets are clogged.

Offline maverickfhs

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2020, 06:29:17 AM »
Thank you I removed all jets, float and soaked them in diesel and water/pine sol solution. Then used a wire to clean the all jets as holes. All o rings were good, none missing and cracked or swelled.
Your advise to not just blindly use carb cleaner is like GOLD, so was extra careful.

Adjusted float heights too, now no more gas overflowing out of air box breather hose.

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2020, 06:47:58 AM »
well if you didn't remove the pilot needles (or as Buddha likes to call them, screws), then you didn't inspect the o-ring. They could potentially leak once you turn them and break the seal that has been there for over a decade.

Trust me, this won't be the last time you have those carbs off. You will wind up replacing all of the o-rings. As Hans and Franz used to say, hear me now and believe me later.

Once you get the bike basically running you'll be right back with vacuum leak and hard to adjust mixture issues. BTDT.

Offline maverickfhs

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2020, 07:03:23 AM »
Thanks again Mr72, I did remove top diaphragm as well as all bottom parts, including 8mm pilot screw(and all jets).

But will order the rebuilt kit with all o rings. Removal of the carb isn't too bad so far, but this smoking is what next on the list.

Based on their condition it seems like someone might have replaced them in the past.

Offline The Buddha

• The guru Ba-moo-derator
  • Administrator
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2020, 07:51:27 AM »
I used to drill em with left handed drill bits. But I also found you can tap in that thread extractor (easy out) in that hole and just spin in counterclockwise and get them out. Someone also said they used one of those drywall screws.
Pick your poison. Best to not drill cos I've seen gorillas drill 1/2 the air screw out obliterating the screwdriver slot.

Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Offline maverickfhs

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2020, 05:28:37 PM »
So started the motorcycle again today, for some reason idle is anywhere between 6K-7K rpm.

Idle mixture screw was completely loosened, no impact on it. Removed one plug wire at a time and rpms dropped by 1000-1500 rpm each time, doesn't seem like carb syncing issue? No more fuel coming out and later no smoke either.

Could it possibly me incorrect throttle cable connection? Is there any trick or secret to it? Thanks again

image uploading site

Does anything on throttle screws or cables looks abnormal ?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 05:41:40 PM by maverickfhs »

Offline maverickfhs

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2020, 06:48:19 PM »
Another positive news, throttle cable was stuck and hence high RPMs, removed and reinstalled it back again and bike is starting and idling fine.

Two more questions please:

1- Bike is starting up fine on 'Prime' have low fuel, but struggling on 'Reserve'? Could it be a vaccum issue or something else?

2-When I compress clutch, there's no tension, all the mechanism seems to be fine, removed shifter and all 5 of the 8mm bolts, push rod is connected with the spring, but when I push the clutch in, there's no tension and it's VERY soft, what else could it be? Could it be Clutch Mechanism Release Adjustment screw?  http://wiki.gstwins.com/index.php?n=Maintenance.FrontSproketCoverRemoval

« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 06:50:38 PM by maverickfhs »

Offline maverickfhs

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2020, 05:34:31 PM »
http://wiki.gstwins.com/index.php?n=Maintenance.FrontSproketCoverRemoval

Follower this thread and clutch is good and tight too, lever is quite stiff and loads of tension.

Rode for half a mile and seems to be doing well. Issue with fuel lever is still pending and next on the list. Thank you all who helped and contributed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk