Author Topic: Dialing in the carburetors on 1992 GS500e advice ?  (Read 67 times)

Offline 92GS500Lv

• Local Club Racer
  • Always looking for GS500E parts, especially Carbur
Dialing in the carburetors on 1992 GS500e advice ?
« on: June 30, 2020, 07:59:37 PM »
Good day ,

I have gotten to the final stages getting a 92 GS500e on the road again after sitting disassembled in three sheds for 6 years. Engine and frame are fine, I had to pickup the other parts all over a property to get the full cycle.  16k miles. 
So I have nice clean carburetors that I picked up on the internet compared to the clogged originals.  It starts just fine with full choke.  I have the air box attached.  I can get it to idle after 5 min of running and easing down the choke while maintaining the throttle at 1100 to 900 RPM.  I figure I can adjust the throttle tension to hold it with some trial and error.  What other adjustments will make this process easier.  I have a garage of Honda XR bikes which are easy to work on.  The dual carbs seem to have similar adjustments .  Any tips or tricks are greatly appreciated.
And any suggestions on clutch cable adjustment.  The I put it in gear it clunks and kills the engine. Probably not enough tension to hold the clutch out or something like that. 
Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Many thanks. I have a GSXR1000 2004,  It will be great to have this little brother motorcycle for my teenage kids/ son and daughter ride dirtbikes and 1980 CM200cc honda street twinstar, total classic.  This is their move up bike. 
Best Wishes , Happy 4th everyone. 
Two feet, two wheels seem like a evolutionary natural selection

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
Re: Dialing in the carburetors on 1992 GS500e advice ?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 03:36:40 AM »
If you have it jetted correctly then you just need to set the idle mixture, you can use the instructions in my infamous blog post:
https://joshkarnes.blogspot.com/2017/09/fixing-common-gs500-carburetor-issues.html?m=1

Once you set the idle mixture and speed, there is literally nothing else to adjust.

The clutch thing is probably not the clutch. But it could be. Search this forum for two-point clutch adjustment and follow this to a T. I found it to be quite sensitive in the screw/locknut adjustment. But it could also be the clutch switch is not working, or the safety interlock logic is not working correctly (clutch, neutral, side stand switches, side stand relay, diode pack).

Offline 92GS500Lv

• Local Club Racer
  • Always looking for GS500E parts, especially Carbur
Re: Dialing in the carburetors on 1992 GS500e advice? Next steps?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 06:57:53 PM »
Ty you for all of the tips and tricks.
Seems like I have the carbs dialed in as best they can be for 16,000 mile engine.
It looks like there are no oil , gasket or fuel like Leaks.  No over heating even while standing in hot garage.

Using a turkey baster graduate as my temp fuel tank.
I uploaded a short video of the running engine. 
Couple of quick questions:  It always needs full choke to start and revs to 4000 rpm until I reduce it to 1500 rpm and then slowly remove all choke.  I have Petcock in straight down on position.

From the blog link that rev jump is normal?  When warmed up for more than five minutes without riding
It will start on first attempt without choke.  If not then full choke needs to be applied and slow drop to idle to stabilize .
As you can see from the video it idles without choke at 900 rpm.  I assume that i will not have to change the idle jet.  Teh carbs came from San Francisco CR sale, Engine has always been a East coast Philadelphia bike.

Not sure if I need to dial it in much more if all of this is normal running.  Even if it is not it probably would be fine as long as it does not stall at stop signs.  That is a test for next week when I get back on the road.

Give the video a view and please feel free to provide any additional thoughts. 
This twin engine is operationally different from my other cycles I have in the garage, finding it to be fun and entertaining as a COVID stay at home project

Engine running video on google drive displayed by tinyurl

https://tinyurl.com/ybg2z4lo
Two feet, two wheels seem like a evolutionary natural selection

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk