Author Topic: Whole new project  (Read 1577 times)

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
Re: Whole new project
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2021, 08:02:46 AM »
Yesterday mrs72 went with me and we picked out paint. I will be painting this weekend. While we were shopping for paint, she asked me if this was my plan, to get her to ride the scooter, or if I truly just wanted another project to tinker with. I told her it was both.

And this morning she picked out a helmet of her own, one I recommended. LS2 Verso. On the way from RevZilla. This plan is working brilliantly!

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2021, 07:34:09 AM »

i think this is the best story of '21 for me!
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2021, 11:44:53 AM »

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2021, 05:14:42 AM »
Last night I brought home a complete but not running project scooter: 2014 Genuine Stella automatic.

Dead battery, good compression, no other info on condition other than it has been sitting for 2+ years so it needs carb cleaning, tank cleaning, new gas and a battery at a minimum. Will need a touch of body work but this is steel. And at least three or four parts are plain missing, nothing required for it to run is missing as far as I can tell.

I paid actual money for this one. Oddly enough it's the newest and lowest mileage motorbike in my garage!

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2021, 07:11:41 AM »
 :dunno_white: :dunno_black: :dunno_white: where pics??? !
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 10:06:28 AM by cbrfxr67 »
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2021, 08:56:50 AM »

It has all appearance of having been abandoned mid-repair. Looks like there was an electrical problem preventing starting. There is no starter solenoid at all and the fuse block is empty. The ignition coil was detached from the frame and floating around in the engine bay. And the battery is scrap. I have a new starter solenoid coming in today to put in and I can try with a spare battery in the garage just to see if it will turn over and make a spark.

The CVT is missing a couple of fasteners on the cover which makes me think it was off recently, so I need to pull it off and make sure there's a belt etc. in there. Also the snorkels on the airbox and cylinder shroud are missing, but that shouldn't really matter, I think that is basically about noise. It has old gas in it from 2+ years ago, so in the morning tomorrow, after I put new brake pads on the GS, I will pull the tank and carb and clean them, and with a new starter solenoid and fresh gas, maybe it'll start.

These "Stellauto" scooters are supposedly pretty rare. It's a pretty cool deal, looks and feels like a vintage Piaggio PX but without that funky manual shift and rear brake pedal goofiness. It still has the hand controls goofiness aside from shifting, but it should generally ride a lot more like a normal scooter. Main thing is, mrs72 might ride it. And it's really much more roomy and physically bigger than the Vino, which is great because it fits me a lot better and would easily fit us both 2-up.

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2021, 10:27:42 AM »

:icon_mrgreen:

really looks cool.  I like that vintage vibe.  I'm itching to take off all that evap crap through the pics.  :icon_lol:

Got mine summed up pretty well.  Ditched the uber restrictive air filter/drum and went with a 6 inch silicone tube w a filter on it and seems like it's really running good.

-buddha

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2021, 10:45:27 AM »
That's awesome. I really dig the big wheels.

Yeah I've already pulled the evap stuff. Might even get rid of the airbox and go with a pod filter. We'll see!

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2021, 12:04:19 PM »
The "new" scooter will at least now turn over.

New battery, new starter solenoid (was missing!), new bendix, the engine now turns over!

So far it hasn't started yet. Still have to turn it a bunch to verify it's getting fuel and the vacuum fuel pump is working etc., and since the ignition coil was loose I think there's a chance it wasn't getting a spark before.

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2021, 06:45:17 AM »
Getting there!  Missing the solenoid:dunno_black: Can't wait to see it come together!
-buddha

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2021, 11:04:18 AM »
Well, when I got it home, I discovered it kind of in this state:

1. the starter solenoid was flat missing, not there at all
2. the spark plug was loose in the hole, plug wire taken off
3. the ignition coil was floating around in the chassis, nuts that hold it on gone
4. the CVT cover was missing a few bolts and the others were loose, snorkels and other stuff missing
5. some other parts were partly disassembled

This led me to believe someone had a problem starting the scooter. It was doing *something* other than turning over and starting, and then the home mechanic went to YouTube and searched for "scooter won't start" and wound up chasing stuff like the starter solenoid, ignition coil, spark plug, and eventually even took the cover off to investigate the starter->flywheel interface.

I was smart enough to know that with the spark plug removed, plug wire off, and no starter solenoid, it would not start. So I replaced the starter solenoid and bolted everything back together, drained a quart or so of extremely old gas, removed and cleaned the carb, and then tried to start it. That's when I could tell immediately that the starter was not correctly engaging the flywheel (or in this case, the outer CVT pulley). So I removed the CVT cover and discovered the bendix's bushings that carry it on both ends were completely shot, and the bendix itself had some chipped teeth on the starter gear. So I ordered a new bendix and replaced the bushings with stuff I had onhand. I tried it with the old bendix and new bushings, but it would still not consistently engage the pulley teeth. The new bendix came in yesterday and I tried it, and with a freshly charged battery it will now turn over correctly.

Since I am not a clueless beginner mechanic, I knew what the symptom of the bad bendix was, so I didn't go chasing ignition and starter solenoid. Hopefully that's all that's wrong with it. But it still could have a bad ignition coil or CDI (or both!). Due to the goofy vaccum operated fuel pump and little reservoir where the fuel gravity feeds, priming the carburetor is going to be a real task. But once I can get it primed, I can check for spark and all that.

My guess is that if I take the inline fuel filter out and put some gas directly into the carb from a bottle or something, it will probably fire right up. Maybe it'll run long enough then to pump fuel up to the reservoir. The reservoir is sealed so there's no way to manually fill it. I might even hit it with a shot of starting fluid. I even pumped up the tires. I think there's a chance this bad boy will start and run this weekend.

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2021, 11:43:46 AM »
IT RUNS!!

The Stellauto is peppy and completely usable. So I'll be finishing up some cosmetic things, getting it registered, and eventually have to replace a few worn parts, but not bad for my 2nd scooter project.

So far including all parts, title, registration, etc., I have about $800 invested in two scooters. I figure I have another $200 worth of parts and new tires for both scooters to get them completely right. Not bad, two legal roadworthy scooters for $1K.

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2021, 07:08:43 AM »
Alright, the Stella lives! Inspected, registered, fully legal, and now only in need of cosmetic work.

I wound up riding it all over the suburbs here yesterday looking for a place to inspect it. It's a ton of fun. It's like a time machine. It's like riding a 45 year old Vespa that was built only 7 years ago. It's got more torque and is more reliable and easier to ride than a shifty 2-stroke PX. I got it up to about 50 mph and it's a lot more twitchy than the Vino at speed. I think it'll probably hit 60 with me on it, but I don't want to be on it when it's going 60 mph.

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2021, 02:47:24 PM »
"I was smart enough to know that with the spark plug removed, plug wire off, and no starter solenoid, it would not start"

That's more awesomesauce,...!  Much scooter love!  Of course the 1st thing I thought was which is faster.  Which is quicker off the line?

Mighty good job sir!  Much respect!
-buddha

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2021, 03:30:12 PM »
The Stella is quicker, top speed of the vino is higher.

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2021, 07:45:09 AM »
New scoot is dead for the time being.

Splines on the variator outer pulley are sheared off, so even though it would run and drive, it won't start because the starter just spins this outer pulley freely on the crankshaft.

I ordered a new variator from India. From the same vendor where I ordered the new bendix. Shoulda bought them both at once. It's not an expensive part, just an expensive wait.

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2021, 10:59:18 AM »
Well,..
-buddha

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2021, 06:19:19 AM »
Classic good news bad news.

Good news: mrs72 took her MSF class on her Vino 125 and passed brilliantly. She was the obvious leader of the class. I got to watch some of it. As soon as she can find 2-4 hours to wait in line at the DMV she will get her class M endorsement.

Bad news: the new variator came in for the Stella, and it's not the right part. The right part is not avilable in all of the world, unless I order a whole OEM variator at nearly $200. Which, I suppose, is the only reasonable thing to do at this point, especially since those are in extrememly limited supply. This doesn't bode well for the long term ownership experience of this scooter.

I am halfway considering picking up a 150cc GY6 and trying to cram it in there. There's one for sale in Smithville for $40, said to be running. That'd be tempting. Worst case, maybe I need to build a go-cart.

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2021, 01:14:03 PM »

:icon_mrgreen:
-buddha

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2021, 01:15:53 PM »
LoL. well that $200 variator is also not the right part. Looks like it's the identical part to the wrong one I have here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk