Author Topic: bar-end mirrors...  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Frost

• Trade Count: (0)
  • World Superbike Racer
bar-end mirrors...
« on: June 08, 2004, 04:52:18 PM »
what's the best?...and where can i get them??
wileyco, K&N pod, rejet 22.5/65/147.5, F16 flyscreen, progressive springs, 15t front sprocket...more to come: katana shock

Offline Zarathustra

• World Supersport Racer
bar-end mirrors...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 04:55:43 PM »
well that really depends on your personal style, and how much you want to spend.  you can take the thrifty route and trying the pantablo (and someone else, sorry for forgetting your name) method of mounting bicycle mirriors onto your bar ends.  or, you can go for napoleons, i've seen them on a few bikes and they look pretty nice.  or, you can go for normal billet bar end mirrors, i know lockheart makes both folding and non folding ones.  personally, i'd get a pair of folding billet mirrors, or else maybe upside down napoleons; just for that hooligan look.

i'm pretty sure you should be able to google for napoleon mirrors and find a couple of examples, and just try looking for billet mirrors the same way.
"Words only come when everything is over, when things have calmed down. They refer only to memory, and are either powerless or untruthful."
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Offline gitarman

• Formula Extreme Racer
    • http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/n/p/npm121/homepage.htm
bar-end mirrors...
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 12:35:05 AM »
Does anyone have a long-term report on the bicycle bar end mirrors? I like the "cheap" idea haha :mrgreen:

Offline tt_four

• Gs500ness
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Motorcycle God!
bar-end mirrors...
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 02:58:30 AM »
i used the bicycle mirrors for quite some time, good deal for $12 each, and the most important part was that i needed two mirrors to pass inspection, and at the time i only had one, and always liked the bar end mirrors, so i went for those, after just a short while i was coming home on the highway, and the cheap glue holding the mirror in vibrated the mirror right out of the plastic base, so after $3 and a trip to target i got a mirror out of the makeup section and spent a while sawing and cutting it out of the base, and used thick double sided mounting tape to put it in, as well as popped the other mirror out and put it back on with the mounting tape just so i wouldn't loose that one too,

they vibrated pretty bad, both bases ended up cracking, um.....so yeah, good deal for $25 i guess, you can probably get a set of napoleans on ebay for $40, but i don't like the look of htem so i never did, as of now i went back to normal mirrors, i'd love bar end mirrors again, but if i did, i'd have to buy the real ones, and at $65 a peice, i don't see that happening anytime soon,

Offline zlei

• AMA Supersport Racer
bar-end mirrors...
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 03:29:47 AM »
Quote from: tt_four
i used the bicycle mirrors for quite some time, good deal for $12 each, and the most important part was that i needed two mirrors to pass inspection, and at the time i only had one, and always liked the bar end mirrors, so i went for those, after just a short while i was coming home on the highway, and the cheap glue holding the mirror in vibrated the mirror right out of the plastic base, so after $3 and a trip to target i got a mirror out of the makeup section and spent a while sawing and cutting it out of the base, and used thick double sided mounting tape to put it in, as well as popped the other mirror out and put it back on with the mounting tape just so i wouldn't loose that one too,

they vibrated pretty bad, both bases ended up cracking, um.....so yeah, good deal for $25 i guess, you can probably get a set of napoleans on ebay for $40, but i don't like the look of htem so i never did, as of now i went back to normal mirrors, i'd love bar end mirrors again, but if i did, i'd have to buy the real ones, and at $65 a peice, i don't see that happening anytime soon,

Are you referring to the Bar End mirrors from Third Eye?

If so, I think I'd better put some epoxy on mine. :)
zhi

Offline wasabi_peas

• AMA Supersport Racer
bar-end mirrors...
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 06:12:41 AM »
I've got the Third Eye mirrors on my bike; it came that way from the last owner.  I've found that the installation technique determines the vibration to some degree.  I've got one just right, but the other one shakes a little.

The goal, I think, is to get it fairly tight without having the plastic bracket touch the end of the handlbar (use the rubber insert as a sort of buffer.)  

I've not mucked with it to fix the issue, so it's clearly not that irritating.

Offline pantablo

• Post Whore Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Motorcycle God!
    • http://pantablo500.tripod.com/
bar-end mirrors...
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 06:56:19 AM »
YEP, I had the Third Eye and same thing happened. Then I had the Pyramid bracket with the Third Eye mounted to it and the bracket snapped in half from vibrations too. Finally broke down and got napoleans again (didnt like them the first time). Running them facing down means you run the risk of them hitting the frame, as they did on mine. I finally installed one facing up and it was fine, just not as slick looking as I would have hoped.

Chimivee drilled out an L bracket to fit between the bar-end and the bar, then epoxied a round convex mirror on it, small one of about 1" diameter. The kind you'd adhere to your car mirror to see in your blind spot. Looked super trick. and only cost like $8 for both at home depot/auto parts store.

Offline tt_four

• Gs500ness
  • Motorcycle God!
bar-end mirrors...
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 08:03:56 AM »
yep, third eye, i had both of mine completely covered in super glue after that happened, i just sat here and coated the entire thing hoping to make it stronger, to be honest, once you get the mirror set where you can see, you could probably even just epoxy the two parts of the bast together, instead of just depending on the screw

mine probably vibrated more than others, cause i had them on my triumph, which vibrates more than some bikes to begin with, but i didn't use the rubber mount it came with, i just stuck a bolt right through the end, straight through my bar end, and screwed it into the clipon, so the plastic was right against the metal, but as for now i've just got a set of mirrors off a buell on it, they're just standard round ones, since one of my triumph ones broke, but like i said, i loved them being on the ends of my bars, but i'd only do it again if i could get some like the LP ones that are made out of metal and bolt on better,

Offline tt_four

• Gs500ness
  • Motorcycle God!
bar-end mirrors...
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 08:09:51 AM »
oooh, and looking on ebay, i just found these, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34284&item=7903864968&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

interesting, i'm not sure though, they look a little odd to me, if they were round i'd probably buy them, but they're not, so you know, i hate plastic painted to look like carbon fiber too, hmm....

Offline 500rider

• AMA Superbike Racer
bar-end mirrors...
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 10:41:47 AM »
I had the bicycle mirrors on mine as well.  Can't remember where I posted the pics but I have then somewhere. They were made my Rhode (road?) Gear but I don't think they make them anymore.  I think they may be similar to Pyramid.  They work really good.  

If buying bicycle mirrors, make sure they are real glass.  Some of them are just plastic aluminized film which scratch easy and are not as clear.

There's tons of mirrors out there.  The billet ones can be $60-100.

Rob
Rob

00 GS500
89 Katana 750