News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Clymer manual Here

Main Menu

15 tooth sprocket question

Started by W201028, October 09, 2010, 06:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W201028

Hello, new member here. I ride a 2009 F and I love it. However, its a bit slow off the line compared to my other bikes. I am considering switching to a 15t front sproket to increase acceleration at low rpm. Can anyone who has done this tell me if I will have to cut my chain, or can I simply adjust the slack out with the stock tensioners? Any experienced rider who can share some wisdom will be appriciated. Thanks
2009 GS500F Adventure

Big Rich

You are actually supposed to replace both sprockets and the chain together. But if you just want to see how a 15t sprocket feels, you'll be ok.

You can just mess with the adjusters (depending how far back your axle is now of course)
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

burning1

This is more of a 'general' question than it is a track or racing question.

redhenracing2

Never tried a 15t, but I had a 14t on mine and I just barely had to take a link out. You would probably be fine with a standard sized chain, just towards the end of its adjustment.
Quote from: cozy on April 25, 2005, 11:03:14 AM
Try dropping down to 4 Oreos and set your pilot screw 3 turns out.

[]V[]addog

I actuly just got this done, and had lots of slack in my chain before. and i still didnt need to take a link out.  you should be good for the 15T. I find it makes hte biek feel more peppy, and i do alot of riding on none devided highways, so I find it keeps hte RPM's in a better range.
i think in top gear. Instead of 6000 rpm doing 120 km/h  it is now 6400 ... small price to pay for the extra get up and go

JB848

A stock bike can handle the switch between a 14 and a 15 with no problem. :thumb:

Aussie GS500F 06

I did the swap about 2 months ago. Bike is heaps better to ride in traffic.  :thumb:

donavon

just did it yesterday..no need to cut chain however i had to put a spacer because the jt sprocket 15 t didnt have a riser in the back..youll see.

JB848

If you cut the chain you're doing somthing wrong. Is there something wrong with JT sprockets?

Aussie GS500F 06

If you buy the right sprocket you won't (don't) need a spacer. there is a reason for suzuki putting the extra step in the sprocket! it has something to do with more material making contact with the output shaft.

if your chain and sprockets are in good condition it's a 5 min job to swap them over if you need to replace your chain and sprockets its about an hrs work

Big Rich

Quote from: Aussie GS500F 06 on November 02, 2010, 08:35:38 PM
If you buy the right sprocket you won't (don't) need a spacer. there is a reason for suzuki putting the extra step in the sprocket! it has something to do with more material making contact with the output shaft.

The reason some sprockets dont have the step behind them is because it's easier to produce for multiple bikes. 2 different bikes may have the same mounts, spline count, chain width, etc., but one has a step and the other doesnt. Not a terribly big deal, but worth watching out for.
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

average

Quote from: donavon on November 01, 2010, 08:25:01 AM
just did it yesterday..no need to cut chain however i had to put a spacer because the jt sprocket 15 t didnt have a riser in the back..youll see.

You're running the wrong sprocket for your year if you had to use a spacer. As long as it works... 8)
R.I.P
Rich(Phadreus)
90 gs5 04 Fairings(that's right)
LP flushmounts up front  shortened turn signals
Kanatuna rear wheel swap
Kat FE

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk