News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

**99% done. Updated pics** My winter project.

Started by PatheticPuma, September 25, 2012, 03:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatheticPuma

I am picking up a 91 gs500e this week. Engine rebuilt recently, over-jetted carbs. Runs very well. My only real complaint is the FUGLIEST fairing I have ever seen on a bike. I haven't really decided on much of anything when it comes to how I want the bike to look when I am done, but I know I want that fairing GONE. I was looking at possibly trying to mount the headlight off an sv650. Has anyone seen it done, if so how does it look? Or I am very open to hearing any and all suggestions you may have.

Also, If anyone likes/wants this fairing I will get more pics up once its off and try and sell it.

Update June 6th 2013.

Here is what it will look like complete. Tearing it down again to solve a small fuel leak problem. Also I have to put the front fender back on...

If god intended us to drink beer, he would have given us stomachs.

adidasguy

Consider going back to stock 7" round headlight for now. Do that while you decide what else to do.

Nothing wrong with a good looking naked bike like this one that I built:

PatheticPuma

I may, looks like I will need to pick up some mounts as well as a headlight. PO doesn't have em. Know a site I can get a good deal on one? Nowhere local has a stock one. Also, what bars do you have on there? I likey.

PatheticPuma

All in all i cant really complain about anything, Got the bike for only $750 RTR.

GI_JO_NATHAN

Yeah that's fugly for sure.
Nice find on the bike though!
Jonathan
'04 GS500
Quote from: POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks.
Get with the program!

PatheticPuma

Alrighty, went and picked it up today and I think I have come up with a color scheme for it, I will do a quick little mock up when im home tonight and see what y'all think.

What should the bike idle at when warmed up? I was hovering around 2.3k rpms, seemed a little high to me, but all my motorcycle experience has been with honda inline 4's so I am not sure what the norm is on this twin.

kyled25

Bike should idle between 1100-1300 rpm, the idle adjustment knob is located in the middle under the carb. http://cgi.stanford.edu/~sanjayd/gs500/Maintenance/AdjustIdle

PatheticPuma

Alright so it is high, thanks for the link, I appreciate it.

MaxP

I think that fairing makes it look like a mini bandit from the side on.

PatheticPuma

Quote from: MaxP on September 29, 2012, 01:01:27 AM
I think that fairing makes it look like a mini bandit from the side on.

I can see the mini bandit thing you are talking about. If you want it, once i have a new light on my bike, I will ship it out to whoever for the cost of shipping.

cbrfxr67

Welcome & great pics!  Good luck to you on making it "your" bike & how you want it to look.  I saw the pics and thought 'dammm that thing is ugly,' but I think you got a decent deal and good start on a project.  :cheers:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

PatheticPuma

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on September 30, 2012, 08:35:21 AM
Welcome & great pics!  Good luck to you on making it "your" bike & how you want it to look.  I saw the pics and thought 'dammm that thing is ugly,' but I think you got a decent deal and good start on a project.  :cheers:
Thanks, I have everything pulled off it right now, I am looking at how bad the rattle can job really is on the frame.

So here is my plan....

Step 1. strip ALL the paint, prime the plastics and tank until I decide between blue or dark red with metal flake...

Step 2. Have a friend of mine powder coat the frame to a semi-gloss black.

Step 3. Sand, paint, and wrap the exhaust headers.

Step 4. Paint the tank and plastics once color is decided, and apply vinyl decals I have chosen for the bike.

Step 5. Select a final headlight choice, and install tail light with integrated turn signals.

Step 6. Never stop changing little things here and there, because i get bored quickly

Also, I need the piece that is missing inside the red circle in the following image. Does anyone know of a part name/number, or place I can purchase? I took this question to my local Suzuki dealer, and they couldn't find it in their system.

BockinBboy

Oh the infamous center tailpiece!  For some reason, I've read somewhere (probably on the forum somewhere) that this part is hard to get your hands on.  Maybe that is why?

I would check part outs in the For Sale section on the forum.  I have also seen them pop up on Ebay, but they will be cheaper if you can find one from another member here.

Edit: Noticed this one today http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=62061.0
stafebak is selling entire tail plastics with center for $65..  :whisper: also says he is open to negotiation..

- Bboy

Sonic Springs, R6 Shock, R6 Throttle Tube, Lowering Links, T-Rex Frame Sliders, SW-Motech Alu-Rack, SH46 Shad Topcase, Smoked Signals, Smoked LED Tailight, ZG Touring Windscreen

PatheticPuma

Thanks for the advice! It will have to wait tho, I am driving from Michigan to Texas to see some family, and will be gone a couple weeks. When I get back I will start the shopping.

PatheticPuma

Alright, I am back from Texas (sunburned face thanks to the lovely amount of sun in Port Aransas) and I have started to pull parts from the bike for striping/sanding/painting. Next week I will begin my hunt for parts, and will be sure to feed the Picture demons as I make progress.

PatheticPuma

So I lied and began my parts search today. I came across a set of gauges for a nearly unrealistic price ($30 for a set off a wrecked bike with only 455 miles). My question is the gauges are off a 2006 GS500E, would these work on my 91? I saw on the wiki that in 2001 the gauges were given a more modern look, but have been unable to find if there are other changes, such as different connectors, if the speedo is no longer cable driven, etc. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Troy

kyled25

I believe all speedos are cable driven but the newer guages use different type of tach on  04+, find a gs500e set to avoid problems.

PatheticPuma

Quote from: kyled25 on October 18, 2012, 05:16:00 PM
I believe all speedos are cable driven but the newer guages use different type of tach on  04+, find a gs500e set to avoid problems.

Well then I will just hold out for a pre 01 set then, just to play it safe. Thanks for the quick reply.

kyled25

whats wrong with the ones on the bike?

PatheticPuma

Quote from: kyled25 on October 18, 2012, 11:08:04 PM
whats wrong with the ones on the bike?

From what I can tell, everything. No tach, all indicator lights are always on, and Speedo stops at 37(ish)mph. Even if they were in more working order I prefer the look of the stock set.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk