News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

'98 GS500 Project

Started by Sea206, November 11, 2013, 10:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea206

With the help of adidasguy and the West Seattle Bike Cave, my brother and I are going get this 98' GS500 running again. I'm new to bikes and riding in general, so I'm gonna be learning the technical part on it as well riding!

Attached a couple shots of the bike after we got it out of the shed today.

According to my brother (who owns the bike), as of right now the bike needs:

• A new chain
  • New Front brake
  • New Clutch
  • Its electrical issues worked out
  • And probably not last and certainly not least, whatever is wrong with the engine

We also have a bunch of mods we wanna do, but the fun stuff can come later. We're taking the bike over the awesome adidasguy's bike cave tomorrow, progress!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Rest in Peace Patrick Lajko

Picowatt

Congrats.    I am in the same boat.  Just picked up a 97 to get moving

cbrfxr67

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Sea206

Gonna start linking to these photos so it doesn't take days for this topic to load up, especially for those with slower internet connections.

11/12/13

Got the bike moved to the cave, progress!

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/4uyyvafny3z6w0m/GdmtTuZ2VB

Louimart

Nice!

Wish I was also in  my hometown Seattle so I could join you all.
I have a 96' GS500 that also needs some work so I will be keeping up with your post.
Good luck to you and safe riding!

Loui

NikonAndy

What time are you guys gonna be out there at adidasguy's place today?

adidasguy

I plan for Saturday as a good wrenching day. Mid Sunday's are also times I am around.
I do have a "job". Some people are allowed to work there on their own when I'm at work.

NikonAndy

Quote from: adidasguy on November 13, 2013, 02:43:04 PM
I plan for Saturday as a good wrenching day. Mid Sunday's are also times I am around.
I do have a "job". Some people are allowed to work there on their own when I'm at work.

Haha, sorry, that wasn't my attempt to invite myself :) Just surprised to hear you guys might be working on a Wednesday, but it's just good enough weather to ride today in Seattle.

Have fun with the project! Hope to meet you Sea206 in the near future!

BTW, do you know if Backfire Moto is happening next Wednesday?

adidasguy

Backfire is always the 3rd Wed of the month. Attendance lower this time of year but still happens. Oct. is usually the last one I go to for the year (bowling on Wednesday's)

NikonAndy

Ok, well if it's on, then I'm planning on going. Anyone ends up getting out there, let me know and we'll grab a beer! :cheers:

adidasguy

I think a little JB Weld and some duct tape should get her running again.
Or just clean out the bad side, run one cylinder and make her into a GS-250!

adidasguy

Well, it didn't turn over or crank. So we thought "goats" and sure enough! There wre busted magnets. Still wouldn't turn. So we took off the right cover and found some interesting bits of metal. Kind of looked like piston pieces and other bits of something.

Surprise when we removed the head and both pistons were at the top. I didn't think our engine worked that way. So Matt pushed the left piston back down where it belonged.

There was a little more carnage than we had ever seen.

Good thing we have spare motors in the Bike Cave. Probably only the head is salvageable. Tomorrow we clean up the mess. Discard the engine and get ready to test a new motor.

It was a fun, very humorous day as we worked on the bike.

The proud owner!

Sea206

So last Saturday was my first big day working on the bike, Patrick (or adidasguy for you internet people) posted all the juicy bits already. So, I'll just provide the best part, pictures.

Apologies for vertical ass pictures!

RIP Piston

Top magnet got chipped somehow.

Next on the agenda is drop whats left of the engine and start finding parts, progress!

adidasguy

Bike Cave has a crap load of battery boxes. Spend your money on some stainless screws we are getting low on (we can inventory when we need) and don't buy a battery box. Plenty of them in a bin by the rear door.
Anyway, they're easy to clean off (there is rust remover) and paint (there is rust penetrating paint there, too).
Sealed battery is good. Never buy one you have to pour acid in to.

Remove your gas cap. Then a lock smith can remove the broken key and make a new one.

Chain will be OK for now - but it is not an o-ring chain. Once running, replace sprockets and put on an O or X ring chain.

We need to get some motors running before buying purple oil. We keep AmsOil in stock in the cave. About $33 a gallon.

adidasguy

Come on, Matt - get off you butt and post videos of your RUNNING BIKE!

Hot damn - YES - we put in a $200 steal of a deal motor I got last year and SHE RUNS!
Sure the oil leaks like Niagara Falls but we didn't replace the valve cover gasket or even the exhaust gaskets until we knew we had a running bike.
Cool firing her up first time with starter fluid. Who knew that stuff catches fire if you spray anywhere except INTO the intakes? Oh, well. We toasted marshmallows and no harm done at all. It was cool!

Oh, yeah - as a learning experience replace the oil sensor BEFORE putting in oil. Oil light stayed on even though we saw oil in the head (Yes - we did crank it with the valve cover off. Fun to watch them thingies go round and round and up and down.) So we drained it and replace the oil filter (in case it was clogged - oh replace that, too) and the oil sensor. ONE of them was the problem but now the old are in the trash and the new filter and oil sensor are there and the oil light went off so HOORAY! Yep - replace things BEFORE filling with oil.  We will put in fresh oil in a week or two because the motor needs a good flushing out with cheap oil.

I think that motor has sat for 5 years or more since it was last run. Amazing! What a blast! Tons of oil in the exhaust (then I did dump oil in the cylinders to lube them when we started). After 5 minutes of testing the exhaust was clean. Sure - oil everywhere from the leaks but that we can fix. And then there was the pint of gas dumped on the floor when we opened the garage door forgetting the Motion Pro gas bottle was hanging there where the door needed to go but we aired out the place and didn't smoke (even though pot is now legal - don't have any.)

Other fun things in the Bike Cave: 3 of us MANUALLY lifted up the motor to the Harbor Freight lift (the home of disposable tools) and installed it in maybe 5 minutes. It is amazing what can be some when a few guys get together with a common goal. GET THAT DAMN THING IN THE FRAME! And we did! Looking back it was so simple!. (HINT: Motors go in and out real easy if you remove the valve cover which gets in the way.)

I wonder if there is anything that we can't do in the Bike Cave when we put our group efforts to it. (I must add that Zak, Matt and everyone else can come up with the most colorful words when trying to get that damned valve tool on to do valve adjustments.  Glad we have neodymium magnets to grab the shims. ANY valve adjustment is a pain. So we have beers and pizza.)

Next Saturday that bike will hit the road for some test rides. (With a plate from another bike unless Matt gets the tabs renewed)

Matt - PICTURES! VIDEOS!

cbrfxr67

Quote from: adidasguy on December 01, 2013, 09:40:11 PM
Hot damn - YES - we put in a $200 steal of a deal motor I got last year and SHE RUNS!

i remember when you scored that one addy.  Fookin awesome,... :bowdown:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Sea206

Well adidasguy is hounding me for PICTURES and VIDEOS but I figure just a video should be enough.

I already posted it to my facebook so I'll just post that.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202703500458040&l=6661924157327176188

The bike is alive for the first time in forever, big moves have been made, progress!

Sea206

Oil leaks fixed, engine is running like butter. All the bike really needs to be street ready at this point:

Battery
Renewed Registration
Chain and Sprocket
New bulb in front right signal
Lock swap
Oil

adidasguy

Get the tabs. Maybe we should take her/him out for a new year's day ride?

No new pictures?

Matt - pictures? Video of the exhaust?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk