News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

$2 Flyscreen (5 Gallon Bucket)

Started by NYNJ8, February 11, 2015, 04:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYNJ8

Not an original idea, but I have fallen in love with this super cheap fly screen mod.  I was installing a digital Speedo and wanted a small fly screen to hide the wiring and mounting bracket.  Came across the idea for using a 5 gallon bucket.  It cost me next to nothing but a few bolts I had lying around, some left over spray paint and a piece of scrap 1" flat steel.  Best part about this mod is that it is so cheap and easy that I can change the shape, color, decals, camo wrap etc.  Really lets me personalize my bike.  I'm thinking I might use it as a number board with a little gstwins decal on the bottom right idk.  Maybe I'll trace and cut out one of those burger king crowns lol.  But I've already cut out and prepped 6 different ones which I will experiment different designs with.  Each $2 bucket yielded about 4 screens.

I have plenty of home depot buckets lying around so I went to work cutting one into various designs.

Then went to work fabing a mounting bracket...

Decided to try a couple new shapes, and really started digging the lettering on the bucket.  I might just keep it this way... no, seriously

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/nrsjones/media/Mobile%20Uploads/A9B19D35-113E-4209-9568-9CBAF711CE54_zpslzm1zrfr.jpg.html

2011 Ninja 250R
2007 SV650S
2011 TU250x
2003 XT225
2006 GS500

Janx101

Neat! Look at you go.... you eco warrior you! :thumb:

NYNJ8

The farkle makers have been getting rich off me for far too long.  Now if I could only learn how to weld...
2011 Ninja 250R
2007 SV650S
2011 TU250x
2003 XT225
2006 GS500

Janx101

Learning to weld is easy! ....  turn machine on, spark stick on metal, weld! ...... learning to weld WELL takes more time! Lol

Mate started me off with a 15" square of boiler plate and a dozen sticks, said make straight lines!..... a lot of time later I bought myself a packet of sticks and kept trying, nothing is a fail in learning! Its all experience! :thumb:

Coseverde

Fallor ergo sum

ShowBizWolf

Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Barrie

After cutting that metal support frame by hand, you must have King Kong arms !

syntax_error

Windscreen looks killer!

peteGS

Very neat!

Mine wasn't quite as cheap but close... a bit of acrylic perspex off eBay, a heat gun, and some aluminium offcuts...

http://s594.photobucket.com/user/starpoint73/library/GS450/Fly%20Screen?sort=3&page=1
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

NYNJ8

I pulled the Speedo off eBay for around $45.  There are hundreds of them available from china to suit you specific taste. I cannot yet recommend this unit as it has not yet been thoroughly tested. I still have some calibrating to o in order to get an accurate speed but all of the other function are working so far.  The tech seems to be reading about 10% low based off memory as I have not run it parallel with the stock tech to really check it. I do like the aesthetics and it didn't require o much of a hack job that I can't return it to stock if need be.

2011 Ninja 250R
2007 SV650S
2011 TU250x
2003 XT225
2006 GS500

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk