Resurrecting a lowered 2005 GS500 with less than 1000 miles

Started by z315, September 12, 2021, 03:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShowBizWolf

That link isn't working for me so I can't see what you're looking at... but maybe these diagrams will help:
https://wiki.gstwins.com/index.php?n=Main.HoseRouting

Since you've got drainage from the airbox hose, be sure to check the engine oil for fuel contamination.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

z315

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on June 27, 2022, 09:03:42 PM
That link isn't working for me so I can't see what you're looking at... but maybe these diagrams will help:
https://wiki.gstwins.com/index.php?n=Main.HoseRouting

Since you've got drainage from the airbox hose, be sure to check the engine oil for fuel contamination.

Yea those are the diagrams that I was using.

This bike needs an oil change, it's been sitting for so many years. I was hoping to get the engine started before changing the oil, but I may need to do that before hand.

Will need I need to drain the carb again?

z315

Update!

The bike finally starts!!! The bike is running kinda rough and it's hard to stay running. Even with full chock it doesn't go up to 4k.

Bought two new spark plugs hoping that would help- waiting for that to come in the mail.

nice motor oil change and will soon get a new set of tires.

Maybe finally be able to take the bike out for a spin!

cbrfxr67

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

z315

Update:

Celebration is a bit premature.

Went on a short ride around the block and noticed the bike will not stay on idle after even with full choke. Also noticed some burning smell coming from the exhaust.

Upon inspection I noticed the this on the top end of the engine.

I think at this point I may need to bring it to a profession to see what type of top end work I need to do.

The Buddha

What are you noticing at the top of the engine ? Oil ? Valve cover ? Take apart and clean and inspect for damage and replace if its got any damage. We usually get 3-10 remove and re-install per valve cover gasket before we replace. It is meant to be used a few times, it is neoprene. Just be careful. Gasket glue it to the valve cover and clean the surfaces well.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

z315

Updates!

More life updates. I had to move AGAIN and ran out of time to troubleshoot the bike. I ended sending the bike to a local mechanic that still worked on carbs.

Mechanic said that the main issues that the bike were running poorly was that the new 'oem' jets that I put it was not the right ones (I remember asking the dealership if they are OEM and I guess they didn't know what they were talking about)

Luckily I still had the stock jets and he was able to clean and reinstall it.

The choke cable was damaged and that was fixed as well.

Slapped on some new tires and the bike was good ready to go.

Fast forward about a month ago my bike was actually stolen in the middle of the night. Luckily another local bike shop saw some guy with the bike and held my bike.

They broke the ignition and chopped off the rear fender and stole my tool kit, but that was the extent of the damage.

I JUST got the bike back this week. No longer having a garage, the best I can do now is to chain the bike to the frame. I have another chain on the way to give it additional security.

At this point I am considering moving my bike to a relative's house that has a private garage rather than chaining the bike to one of those bicycle post.

Bike Thief

Bluesmudge

I have found that one of the best theft deterrents is putting the bike under a cloth motorcycle cover. It seems to make bikes invisible. The would be theif would have to go through the trouble of removing the cover to even find out what they might be stealing. You can make the cover even better by hiding a bell or two inside the cover so it makes a lot of noise if they try to remove the cover. You can also get covers with gromets that let you lock the cover on.

Other people like disc locks. I've never tried one myself

z315

Quote from: Bluesmudge on June 05, 2023, 11:22:42 AMI have found that one of the best theft deterrents is putting the bike under a cloth motorcycle cover. It seems to make bikes invisible. The would be theif would have to go through the trouble of removing the cover to even find out what they might be stealing. You can make the cover even better by hiding a bell or two inside the cover so it makes a lot of noise if they try to remove the cover. You can also get covers with gromets that let you lock the cover on.

Other people like disc locks. I've never tried one myself

Yea I have one of those off-the-shelf polyester bike covers.

The bike is now chained but I'm getting to a point in my life where street riding is no longer fun (maybe I'm just getting older) and I just want to do track days. The daily commuting to work type of rides isn't really for me anymore.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk