News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

GS500F Restomod Street Tracker

Started by SK Racing, April 29, 2020, 07:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SK Racing

I don't know whether you're referring to the look or the workmanship. The pictures may have been taken in my backyard, but the sub-frame certainly wasn't "backyard welded and hammered together". I enlisted the services of a professional craftsman to bend and MIG weld the sub-frame from a drawing I made.

If it's the look, then let's agree to disagree on that.  :D

The cantilever seat look doesn't appeal to me at all.  There are as many ways to customize a GS500 as there are owners wanting to give their GS500 their personal touch.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding!
1939 Panther 600cc Single - Stolen, 1970 Suzuki 50cc - Sold
1969 Triumph Bonneville 650 T120R - Sold, 1981 Honda CB750F - Sold
1989 Suzuki GS500E - Sold, 2004 Suzuki GS500F - Current ride

SK Racing

Hey Buddha

I bet the empty triangle on this bike will freak you out.  :cheers:

SK Racing

And this is pure poetry.   :thumb:

I could have done the same, but I didn't want to copy someone else's idea. (although I used the same muffler)

The Buddha

Quote from: SK Racing on May 17, 2020, 08:52:13 AM

I could have done the same, but I didn't want to copy someone else's idea. (although I used the same muffler)

This is gorgeous. If they left the airbox in it - even better. The GS is one of those unique bikes that has the airbox only partially in the frame triangle - awesome to cram all the electrics in the tail cowl and make it look and function right with the airbox.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

Endopotential

That's a blast from the past!  That bike from So Low Choppers in the UK was what originally got me to buy a GS500 for my cafe project.  http://www.bikebound.com/2016/03/30/suzuki-gs500-cafe-racer/
Getting a custom rear cowl made turned out to be too difficult, so I finally went with the Ducati seat.

SK - that was horrible of you to post a technique for polishing bolt heads.  No I have to go back to the garage to buff up all my bits  >:(

Buddha - I guess I do have a thing for twin headlights and an empty tail.  The other bike in my garage just happens to be an Buell XB9SX.  So much fun to ride with all that V-twin torque and rumble.
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/140 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

SK Racing

Endo, just think how nice and shiny your bolts will be.  :woohoo:

Today I purchased two banjos for bypassing the oil cooler. Will be using silver solder to join them together.

Endopotential

Eager to see how you do that!

That'll clean up the front end even more.  But isn't that extra oil cooling a good thing to keep around?

I have an aftermarket dash on mine, so I'm not sure if its temperature reading is accurate or signifies anything bad.  But if I push it hard up a long hill at speed, the red light starts blinking madly (I think the temp limit I set was 260-280F).  The temperature sensor is nothing more than a copper washer threaded under the left spark plug.  Any idea what a healthy cylinder head temperature at that spot is supposed to be?

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/140 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

SK Racing

brucedavidculver has a nice picture of how he bypassed the oil cooler.

It's just two banjos welded together.

I read somewhere that since the oil coolers were only introduced when the 2004 F-models with fairings came out, it stands to reason that a naked GS500 doesn't really need an oil cooler. It gets quite hot around where I live, but since I don't ride much and never long distances, I'm willing to take a chance to get an even more bare bones look.

profile_deleted

How's this build going?   I was enjoying the thread.

B.

SK Racing

Hey Bruce. It's coming along slowly, but steadily. I'm working on the bike almost every day. The last few days I've been sanding the sub-frame in preparation for a primer coat. It's getting cold over here in South Africa and I may take a break from that for a week or so, because I don't have a proper enclosed workshop. Fortunately, our winters are much milder than most countries', and therefore I should be able to do some work outside when it's not too cold or windy.

I'm also busy making my own nickel plating setup. That's something I can do indoors. I've already tested to see if it works and I'm confident that I'll be able to do a satisfactory job on nickel plating some bolts and brackets, and also the gear and brake levers after some polishing.

I've decided to do a "reservoir delete" on the rear brake, and today I bought a short piece of acetal rod to make a bung (stopper) for the tube. I'll turn it on my century old watchmakers lathe.

I'm busy testing some clear tubing (that I got from the hardware store) by immersing it in Dot 4 brake fluid and after two days, the piece of tubing seems unaffected by the brake fluid. I'll leave it in there for a week or two before deciding if it's going to cut it. Tygon 2375 is the proper tubing to use, but it's really expensive to import. You guys are so lucky to have the nice stuff locally.

Some example pics off the Internet:

SK Racing

Today, BikeBound featured this custom CB750 Honda and I immediately thought of how The Buddha dislikes the empty triangle on custom builds. I, obviously think it's gorgeous, but to each his own.

https://bikebound.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7698f70058e535385c6ba6f80&id=05c73ddf74&e=5b8b7192db

The Buddha

Not as annoying as the side mount license plate though. LOL.
Cool.
Buddha.

profile_deleted

"Your own nickel plating set up?"  "Century old watchmaker's lathe?"  Man... you are what I want to be when I grow up.   :thumb: lol 

Wait... at 50 it may be too late for that.

I have to say, the reservoir delete has me inspired.  I feel like the café racer needs that now.

The Buddha

A frame triangle can just simply not exist - on a twin shock bike that's harder to do, but a Mono shock bike can have a closed up box under the cantilevered seat. Don't put a "electrical tray" full of crap between the frame rails - put it in a box that also holds up the tail and seat and all. Plenty of room, no retarded looking empty frame triangle - cos there's no "frame triangle" - as much as on a GS I like the airbox - its secondary. A GS with open K&N lunch box doesn't look as stupid as this one does.

Cool.
Buddha.

Endopotential

Quote from: SK Racing on June 11, 2020, 02:30:25 PM

https://bikebound.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7698f70058e535385c6ba6f80&id=05c73ddf74&e=5b8b7192db

Wow... drooool....
Think of how much sexier that bike could be without the rear triangle, and swap out those duals for a monoshock

Just coming from a guy who loves his open K&N and egregiously cantilevered tail  :D

SK Racing

Quote from: brucedavidculver on June 11, 2020, 06:56:35 PM
"Your own nickel plating set up?" 

I'm forced to do that out of necessity, since I can't get any spares for the GS from the lethargic local Suzuki dealership. DIY Nickel plating is not that difficult to do at home. I'll share some pics once my setup is complete.

I have to say, the reservoir delete has me inspired.  I feel like the café racer needs that now.

I'm glad that you also like it. lol

The Buddha

Quote from: SK Racing on May 17, 2020, 08:19:41 AM
I don't know whether you're referring to the look or the workmanship. The pictures may have been taken in my backyard, but the sub-frame certainly wasn't "backyard welded and hammered together". I enlisted the services of a professional craftsman to bend and MIG weld the sub-frame from a drawing I made.

If it's the look, then let's agree to disagree on that.  :D

The cantilever seat look doesn't appeal to me at all.  There are as many ways to customize a GS500 as there are owners wanting to give their GS500 their personal touch.

The look was not about workmanship or anything else - In fact some of the worst retarded cases of side license plate atrocities I have seen have the best welds and gorgeous paint jobs. I actually prefer the "patina" You've heard my jokes about fitting honda and Kawasaki and whatever else parts on the bike that happened to be the same color and leaving the logos on - don't paint any of it. If you have a black GS buy black kawi and Yamaha etc etc and fab the metal sub frames etc etc to fit that.
Sort of like my raked out savage -
Had a KX125 front end, Harley risers to name a few. It got rear ended before I got a chance to finish machining the triples - which was the only part I actually fabricated. It didn't say Kawasaki on the forks, and my savage tank and tins were already logo less - I powdercoated them silver for a different reason and ended up using it in its final form. Or it was only a trial form cos literally on its first ride out of my neighborhood it got rear ended, and I never messed with it again - I sold it.
But if I had names and model numbers etc, I'd have left em.
I know my bike definitely has no workmanship or BS but in a sort of way - I want it to look "stock" and aged and color matching is just very loose. In fact that bike was also on with blue savage livery and the original rear fender and seat etc. I still have the blue savage tins cos they were near perfect. Didn't want to cut and drill out the fender brace on it.

BTW cantilevered doesn't mean sticking up steep - physics definition of cantilever - only held at one end.
You can get that by using a box that actually gives you the room for the electrical as well as protect the carbs/filter and electricals also from crap thrown over by the rear wheel.
So you'd clear out and cut the lower rail. Then make a box that has the volume you need but the lower edge of it also has a little angle or square tubing to hold the seat up. I'd actually make it all unboltable from the frame. That way you have no sub frame triangle - you have a sub frame cantilever the seat can be a tiny café seat and this is hiding in plain sight.
Not unlike that bike you linked with the same exhaust you have.
People make electrical trays all the time, and put it between the upper rails under the café hump. That's IMHO inherently harder and while it does get that empty frame triangle look - in a monoshock bike - you got it made in the shade just put it under the seat and cantilever fit the seat completely.
That bike you posted has a good look. I'll have to see what they did for the seat if there's a build thread on it etc. Whose build is it - someone here ?

Cool.
Buddha.

The Buddha

Quote from: SK Racing on May 17, 2020, 08:52:13 AM

I think there was a build thread on this - I remember asking him why he used a round tube for the tail.
Anyway I need to find that thread but what I was saying is for example - where the top rail and bottom rails go put a threaded ear or lug. Then that frame rail set can be hidden in a box which is bolted on and seat goes on top of that and the rear hump - well it is so pretty - it could just be left but empty.
Or in this bike I guess that space already has stuff in it - dunno what but its got something. Just a slightly different way to do the same thing I guess. The beauty of a GS is that the airbox is completely under the tank, you can leave it in place and a few cubin inches of space is all we need for the electrics.
Cool.
Buddha.

SK Racing

Just a quick update. Today I turned a bung from the acetal rod that I bought yesterday. It came out pretty well and even has a tiny (0.6mm) ventilation hole.

Bung pictured with PVC tubing:

Then I checked on the piece of PVC tubing that I'm testing in the brake fluid and it definitely is swollen a bit and softer than it should be. So... that's not going to work.

5/16" ID Tygon 2375 is selling on eBay for around US$10 for a 12" piece, but shipping by courier would be prohibitively expensive.

Any chance someone else also wants to do a reservoir delete and wouldn't mind sending me the leftover 6" piece by post?  I can do PayPal to cover the price and shipping cost.

The Buddha

I don't think I corresponded with this exact builder -
http://www.bikebound.com/2016/03/30/suzuki-gs500-cafe-racer/

There was a round onto square one here and I did ask about it though.

Cool.
Buddha.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk