Resurrecting a lowered 2005 GS500 with less than 1000 miles

Started by z315, September 12, 2021, 03:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z315

Update:

Thank you for everyone's advice regarding the bolt. I was finally able to get the top of the dog bone removed. Had to get another pair of hands to hold the bolt in place with a wrench + metal tubing for torque and a breaker bar on the other to get that top dog bog off.

Yes- I did remove the top shock bolt (which is much easier in comparison).

What I need to do now is to buy a stock bolt because now the bolt without the dog bones are too long.  What is the main for that bolt in particular?

Gas Tank.

I did my best to try to open the gas cap but no luck. I tired several tricks that I found on the internet but it did not work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHeF1aoKQKo

After spending the better part of today trying to remove the cap.- I'll need to drill the cap.

I did notice quite a bit of stuff in the gas tank, and will need to do some cleaning before adding fresh fuel.

see some photos.

The Buddha

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

z315

Will do the good old vinegar and bolts trick to see if i can clean out the rust this weekend.

Using this video as a guide for anyone interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzzeNdjPUS4

Bluesmudge

It sounds like you have done the vinegar and bolts trick before, but my tip is to count how many pieces of hardware you put in the tank so that you know they all came out.

The Buddha

I dont like the de-rust and run gas in it method. Gas nowadays has ethanol and oxygen in it, enough to make it rust again.
I would put a liner, but I also have had those fail eventually. But it does slow the rate a lot.
Cool.
Buddha.

z315

Quote from: Bluesmudge on October 06, 2021, 04:58:41 PM
It sounds like you have done the vinegar and bolts trick before, but my tip is to count how many pieces of hardware you put in the tank so that you know they all came out.
Good call out. Sometimes I get too eager and not write things down.

z315

Quote from: The Buddha on October 07, 2021, 02:51:00 AM
I dont like the de-rust and run gas in it method. Gas nowadays has ethanol and oxygen in it, enough to make it rust again.
I would put a liner, but I also have had those fail eventually. But it does slow the rate a lot.
Cool.
Buddha.

Hey Buddha, I am not familiar with this liner that you are referring to. Would you mind sharing more information about it?

The Buddha

There's many of those including autoparts store ones. Not sure if any are better or worse.
I have run Kreem and POR-15 and they both have had failures in 15 yrs of ownership. Maybe time to try an autoparts store type.
I've made many posts about both liners in this forum going back 15 yrs+. Search and then post to that topic so I know what you're talking about.
Cool.
Buddha.

z315

long overdue update:

A lot of life happened in between between now and my last post

Had to move and then a new job, didn't get a chance to work on the bike until recently.

Here are some pictures with updates:

The stockgas cap was seized. Tired a verified of methods via the internet but no luck. Ultimately I had to drill the gas cap and put in an aftermarket one. This is the one I purchased for those interested.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255128655786?hash=item3b66da57aa:g:4K8AAOSwh3RhOizM

The install was straight forward but I have to push down the cap in order for the gas cap to close .

I am almost certain I over did the drilling- but at I still able to drill out the lock and remove the cap.

The blue tape was put there to protect the tank while I attempted to 'wiggle' the gas cap off (prior to me having to drill) but it didn't work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHeF1aoKQKo

Here's a sneak peak of the rust I'm working with

New gas cap installed.

I went to costco to get a about 10 gallons worth of vinegar and threw about 100 screws in there. I'm going to let it sit for a day or two and then shake the tank around to see how much of the rust i can get out.

If this does a poor job I'll follow The Buddha's  Kreem and POR-15 guides and see if I have better luck.

During the move broke the fuel filter and in need of another one. Last time I checked Bikebandit everything is in backorder.
I found replacements on Amazon and Ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/361510005789?hash=item542bacec1d:g:cmgAAOxy5QtSAs8x
https://www.ebay.com/itm/192041397362?epid=171259653&hash=item2cb68f2c72:g:I8cAAOSw629hOOOT

Or should I get something different altogether?

z315

Adding this for reference for anyone else that's interested regarding Tank Rust Via GSTWIN wiki:

https://wiki.gstwins.com/index.php?n=Restoration.TankRust

z315

It's been about a week since the vinegar sat in the tank. Poured half of it out to see progress and is happy with the results. Since I'm still waiting for the replacement fuel petcock to come in i'm going to leave the vinegar in there a little longer before cleaning it out, rinsing it with marvel mystery oil and gasoline before putting a full tank of fresh fuel in.

Here's what the vinegar was able to get out of the tank.

z315

before

after

taking these screws out of the tank was challenging and time consuming.
there's 100 screws in total that I had to fish out.

I rinse the tank with water and then poured in the marvel mystery oil

i poured as much of the oil out and then did two rinses with gasoline.

going to do a 3rd rinse but this time will let the gas sit in the tank a little longer before doing a final flush.

z315

Update:

Life and work and everything in between has made slow progress on this bike rebuild.

My latest update involves me stripping two carb screws, and now I'm asking for fellow GS500 owners on what options I have at this point. I tried using one of those screw bolt drill bits but it doesn't seem to work in this particular case.

I'm thinking either cutting off the brass plate to get to that last carb screw but I want to see if I could still somehow remove the stripped screw before going that route.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Here's a picture of my handywork, or lack of it.

ajensen

I would try to use a small cold chisel to see if I could jar them loose--hit the screw outer diameter counter clockwise. Go ahead and get yourself a JIS number 2 screwdriver. They will fit your carb screws really well. The regular number 2 is not meant for the Japanese hardware.

Best wishes. I hope you enjoy your gs as much as I do.

Bluesmudge

My order of operations for stuck bolts is usually:

1. Penetrating Oil
2. Impact driver
3. Vice Grips
4. Slot the head with a dremel and use a flat-head screwdriver
5. Small left hand drill bit
6. Larger left hand drill bit <---this is usually the step that gets out most stuck bolts
7. East out <-- Gave up on these. They are hardened steel, so no fun to drill out if they break
8. Completely drill out and then helicoil to the original thread size

z315

Update:

Was able to finally get the stripped screws out by cutting the screwhead so a flathead screw driver can work it lose. I'm sure the insane amount of PB-Buster I used was helpful as well. lesson learn, should've waited for the vesso JIS screwdrivers...

Inside of the float bulb

New gasket and a bunch of carb cleaner later.

Jets

the main jet (the tall one) was stuck so this is what i did to get it out.

Since I am replacement them anyways, no need to clean them.

Using these m4-.7x10 to replace the JIS screws.

Note. you need to have m4-7.x08 for the two screws that holds the plate for the emissions thing. standard hardware stores doesn't sell them so you will need to go to the specialty store or put two extra washers to compensate the longer screw.

Hopefully will have some time during the workday to continue working on the bike. This has been dragging a little TOO LONG. Stay tune!

Bluesmudge

Those look like the black oxide steel bolts they sell at home depot. Those rust really fast. Better to get stainless steel bolts or just fresh Suzuki screws. 

The Buddha

Quote from: z315 on June 13, 2022, 01:35:35 AM
Update:

Was able to finally get the stripped screws out by cutting the screwhead so a flathead screw driver can work it lose. I'm sure the insane amount of PB-Buster I used was helpful as well. lesson learn, should've waited for the vesso JIS screwdrivers...

Inside of the float bulb

Jets

Note. you need to have m4-7.x08 for the two screws that holds the plate for the emissions thing. standard hardware stores doesn't sell them so you will need to go to the specialty store or put two extra washers to compensate the longer screw.

Hopefully will have some time during the workday to continue working on the bike. This has been dragging a little TOO LONG. Stay tune!

Toss the plugged up jets, toss the screws you got from Home depot. I sell jet packs for your setup and guess what free allen head stainless bolts come in that pack. $25 shipped in CONUS. Clean the carbs and put these in and you're home free.
Let me know your setup and I'll get the right ones for that setup sent out.
Cool.
Buddha.

z315

Quote from: The Buddha on June 13, 2022, 11:39:25 AM
Quote from: z315 on June 13, 2022, 01:35:35 AM
Update:

Inside of the float bulb

Bah I wish I knew you were selling jet packs before. I bought a rebuild kit from the dealership but they screws that came with it were JIS and I'm trying to avoid that.

What's wrong with the screws I got from the hardware store?

Jets

Toss the plugged up jets, toss the screws you got from Home depot. I sell jet packs for your setup and guess what free allen head stainless bolts come in that pack. $25 shipped in CONUS. Clean the carbs and put these in and you're home free.
Let me know your setup and I'll get the right ones for that setup sent out.
Cool.
Buddha.

z315

Plugged everything together. bike doesn't want to start- why would things go according to plan?

Seeing a fuel leakage down the airbox. I set the lower petcock to prime. Could I have flooded the carbs?

Question: There is another connection on the right side of the tank (opposite of the bike petcock). That hose should be connected to the surge hose (#3 on the picture http://gs-500.info/images/0/05/Evaphoses.jpg). I'm pretty sure I'm right but just want to double check.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk