Author Topic: Piston ring identification  (Read 76 times)

Offline 1034am

• Formula Extreme Racer
Piston ring identification
« on: November 24, 2020, 05:50:09 PM »
I pulled the rings off on my Ď00 Katana GSX600f, & they donít have any markings. Just totally plain/smooth. Sizes line up w/new ones, but no id marks. Does this sound like oem from factory or someone used cheap/incorrect parts?

Bike has been apart, but I couldnít tell if the cylinder had been off or not. I got it as a project that would need rings. Compression test confirmed it. Has about 10k miles. My theory is: a rusting fuel tank leaned out the mixture until it overheated & had compression issue. Tank is well rusted, carb jets main were def clogged.

New rings are marked ĎRí and ĎRNí & while Iím certain theyíre correct for the motor, Iím concerned about fit after seeing what was in there.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Thanks
-Richard

1989 GS500
2004 CF Moto

Offline 1034am

• Formula Extreme Racer
Re: Piston ring identification
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 02:07:36 PM »
The top/first ring is R and 2nd (from top) is RN
Still curious about the unmarked rings I took off. If genuine Suzuki parts has markings, then what the heck was in there? I measured the thickness & they matched the new ones, but w/no markings itíd be tough to determine top from bottom.

Maybe this was the problem all along?🤷‍♂️
-Richard

1989 GS500
2004 CF Moto

Offline Sporty

• Formula Extreme Racer
Re: Piston ring identification
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 05:42:07 AM »
I can't say what the factory ring pack looks like.
Some rings have no markings, but orientation is determined by the profile of the rings.
Rings that have no markings and are symmetrical can go either way. This is usually just the top ring.

The second ring has a scraper function, if installed upside down, it will cause oil consumption.

Below are  images of ring profiles.

Used Suzuki GS500 = motorcycle adventure without leaving the shop.

Current motorcycles: 1993 GS500E, 1996 XL1200, 1999 ST1100

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk