Author Topic: Sidestand Length  (Read 496 times)

Offline GSJash

• Local Club Racer
Sidestand Length
« on: August 20, 2019, 03:04:36 AM »
Hi Folks, my GS500 was lowered by a previous owner and I have just installed some stock links in the rear suspension to raise it up. The bike leans over more on the side stand as expected, but I'm not sure if it's leaning over too much or if I was just used to the way it was before. Does anyone know the length of the stock side stand? I tried searching google and this forum without any luck. Picture below to show it leaning on a thin piece of wood.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 03:08:28 AM by GSJash »

Offline pliskin

• Rick Flair's fluff boy
  • World Supersport Racer
Re: Sidestand Length
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 08:14:32 AM »
If it was lowered they likely shortened the side stand. Otherwise the stand is to long for a lowered GS. Putting back to stock makes that stand way to short. I had the same thing on my GS when I bought it however the owner put it back on the stock stand/height when he sold it to me. He also gave me the short stand which was about 2" shorter.

You will need a new stand. Still, I think the GS leans a bit to far even on the stock stand IMO
Why are you looking here?

Offline Bluesmudge

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 12:07:30 PM »
Yup, you will probably have to buy a normal length sidestand on eBay.
Get a spring puller ahead of time if you don't have one already -- it makes removing and re-installing the side stand springs much easier. Its a T handle with a hook on the end.

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 01:19:39 PM »
BTW if you do get a longer side stand, I might be interested in buying your old/shortened one. I have a side stand project that's entirely different and wouldn't mind having a donor part, short doesn't matter, I mostly need the foot and the pivot, most of what's in between will be fabbed and welded in place.

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 05:51:14 PM »
When removing the side stand, and it's in the down position, you could put some old keys or some coins in between the spring's coils to keep them extended. Makes it super easy to remove it and re-install it :thumb:

I've always thought the GS doesn't lean over far enough at stock height with the stock stand. I've got the SV650 shock on my bike which raises it about 2"... and I love the increased lean on the stand.

Edit: I had time to go and measure mine. It's ~9.5" from the ground up to the center of the bolt.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:49:39 PM by ShowBizWolf »
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline GSJash

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 12:32:26 PM »
When removing the side stand, and it's in the down position, you could put some old keys or some coins in between the spring's coils to keep them extended. Makes it super easy to remove it and re-install it :thumb:

I've always thought the GS doesn't lean over far enough at stock height with the stock stand. I've got the SV650 shock on my bike which raises it about 2"... and I love the increased lean on the stand.

Edit: I had time to go and measure mine. It's ~9.5" from the ground up to the center of the bolt.

Thanks again Showbiz. Looks like mine is about 8.5". I think I have someone who is going to weld in a piece to make it longer again for me.

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 03:47:55 PM »
You are very welcome! Glad I could help :cheers:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk