Author Topic: Panterra 90 barn find  (Read 405 times)

Offline Dipper

• Local Club Racer
Panterra 90 barn find
« on: April 19, 2020, 09:16:02 PM »
A friend of mine bought a Harley that was basically left for dead in this dilapidated barn. Since I have a truck and trailer my friend offered me a few bucks to help him pick it up. When we get there the owner tells me that the property is sold and he has to get everything out. I saw this panterra 90cc atv sitting there so I walk over to check it out and the guy says 50 bucks and it's yours. The thing was pretty rough. Popped the gas cap and gas tank was empty and nothing but rust. Chain was so rusty it wouldn't move. They must of lost the key  because the ignition was gone. So I said no thanks it needs a gas tank, chain, battery, electrical work and I don't even know if the engine will turn over. The owner ends up saying just take it. So I am the proud owner of a Panterra 90 that I can hopefully get running and sell for enough cash to get my title transfer and plates for the gs when the dmv opens back up.

Offline Dipper

• Local Club Racer
Re: Panterra 90 barn find
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 09:12:38 PM »
Made some progress on the panterra today. Since there isn't a kick starter I jumped a hot wire from the battery to the starter and gave it a shot of starting fluid. It ran for a few seconds. Now that I knew the engine wasn't seized it was time to dig in.

Took the chain off. Cleaned it and have it soaking.
Found a wiring diagram so I could put this old honda ignition to use.

Took the carb off. Tore it apart and cleaned everything. What a mess. This carb has a petcock and filter built into it and they were both a mess but everything cleaned up nicely. This atv also has a vacuum petcock but there is no way to take it apart without ruining it so I am going to order a new one. Since I knew I was replacing it I took the old one apart and as I suspected it was full of crap. I took a gas tank from a snowblower I parted out and attached it for now.

With the carb cleaned, temporary gas tank in place, and the wiring all straightened out it was time to see if this thing would run. Success. Started right up. No leaks from the carb. I let it run until it was fully warmed up. Adjusted the carb then shut it down and changed the oil.

Ordered a new gas tank, gas cap, vacuum petcock,  and master cylinder for the rear brakes. $60 bucks with shipping and tax.

Just a tip. If you are in a pinch and can't find an o ring you need. Take your old o ring and soak it in some pb blaster. It works for me everytime. This carb with the built in filter and petcock had about six o rings. I soaked them all before I put the carb back together and have no leaks. I used this same trick on a canister filter for a fish tank that I got for free on craigslist. Two o rings were leaking. Took the filter apart soaked the o rings put it back together. Six months later not one drop of water from where it was previously leaking.

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 09:30:18 PM »
Love this thread! If there are pics, I can't see them because I'm at work... but I'll check when I get home.
$60 for those parts ain't bad IMO :cheers:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline Dipper

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 10:00:34 AM »
Waiting for the panterra parts so I did some work on my tin men.

Offline Dipper

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 10:26:24 AM »
I got the new gas tank, vacuum petcock, and master cylinder installed. Took forever to bleed the rear brakes but they are working great now. The headlight fairing was broke so I just cut it straight across so it looks better.

I got all this fixed two weeks ago and I was going to buy a battery and put it up for sale. But turns out I don't have to get the battery because the panterra is sold. A friend of mine's son came over to borrow some tools to work on his corvette. He saw the atv and asked how much. I said 300 and he said if it runs he'll buy it. Hooked up the battery charger started it up and he bought it on the spot.

My buddy gave me 60 bucks for helping him pick up the Harley so that paid for the parts for the panterra.  So I made 300.

Title transfer, registration, Chicago White Sox vanity plate = 281.00

I have 19 bucks left.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk