Author Topic: GS500 electric conversion? whodunit?  (Read 264 times)

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
GS500 electric conversion? whodunit?
« on: August 13, 2020, 09:12:21 AM »
This looks slick.

Wonder who did it?

Kinda wondered if it would be fun to make an electric conversion of some dirt bike. An old 2-stroke 125 would be a great candidate. Who needs range on a dirt bike?

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
Re: GS500 electric conversion? whodunit?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 12:24:55 PM »
I have a 1980 Yamaha YB100 sitting around the side of the house and in the back of my mind I've been wondering do I do an electric conversion on it?

Still got things to do on the Kat yet and the 450 will need some TLC next year, but after that? Who knows...
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline sledge

• Motorcycle God!
  • He's Mr Brightside
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 05:56:27 AM »
There has been lots of talk on the subject of electric conversions over the years and about 11 years ago somebody pulled it off. Unfortunately I cant find the threads. I vaguely remember the pics and it certainly wasn't as slick looking as the one in the picture, but in saying that it didn't have covers over the engine space and the batteries and motor were on view.

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php/topic,50400.msg569942.html#msg569942

Offline starwalt

• World Superbike Racer
  • Starter motor rpm limit ---> ∞
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 08:01:49 AM »
The conversion is much easier now than 10 years ago.
I have a junkyard GS donor and started collecting the parts for a conversion.
There used to be an active conversion site and I have a couple low-print-run books on motorcycle conversion.
All of my stuff is ancient unfortunately.

BLDC - brushless DC motors (actually they are 3 phase pulsed DC) can be had now whereas 10 years ago they were custom.
We can thank the electric RC model world for making that tech attainable.
With BLDC you don't have to worry about replacing brushes that a brushed DC motor uses (and, of course, is the type of motor I bought 10+ years ago).

Today, as it was back then, the limiting factor is battery tech... which also has become leaps and bounds better.

To be GS500 specific, the frame is way heavy as compared to a newer 'e-Bike'.
I had considered making aluminum versions of several of the frame/chassis bits just to get the weight down.

Dry weight of the GS is around 375 to 380 pounds - FYI.
The goldenmotor website has an e-bike with a 98kg /216lb advertised weight.
That's A LOT of weight loss. In general, weight is the enemy of moving things.
The 10kW motor and one of the batteries on their site weighs 35kg / 77 pounds together.
That leaves 139 lbs for the other stuff left on their e-bike. Did I mention the GS was kinda heavy for a conversion like this?

Regarding the bike in the pic at the top of this post. It seems a bit suspicious.
On the website he calls this the 'N1' and makes an interesting claim (translated):
"I have built and approved an electric motorcycle with a more efficient energy recovery system than traditional ones. At the same time, I applied the same principle to some e-Bikes specially designed by me, achieving remarkable autonomy results with only one battery and without recharging during the journey."

What makes me suspicious is that he shows none of the hardware under the covers. Most of us are all too happy to show off the good bits.
On the other hand, he may have just bought the bits from that www.goldenmotor.com site.
Their page shows an e-bike (note the light frame/chassis) with a BLDC motor and a rated 60AH battery pack.

Just doing some back-of-the-napkin numbers shows it would be over 1.5k$ for a conversion.
Yes, they do have wiring diagrams.

-=Doug
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 01:44:43 PM by starwalt »
-=Doug......   IT ≠ IQ.

God save us from LED turn signal mods!

Get an Ebay GS value  HERE.

1990 GS running, 1990 GS work-in-progress, 1990 basket case.
The trend here is entropy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk