Author Topic: So, I crashed my triumph today...  (Read 369 times)

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
So, I crashed my triumph today...
« on: August 18, 2020, 05:01:07 PM »
I'll get into how it happened later when I can retrieve my keyboard from upstairs at my house, but I wound up with a broken foot, sprained ankle, some broken ribs and a couple of abrasions. The bilt techno jacket did its job as did my rpha helmet. Bike's a real mess. Got to ride in an ambulance and spend more than half the day at the hospital.

Bike's going to take a.pot of work and will never be the same. Probably $2k in parts.

Online Sporty

• AMA Supersport Racer
Re: So, I crashed my triumph today...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 06:18:08 PM »
I hope that you heal quickly and are back to the same or better than ever.
Bikes can be replaced...
1993 GS500E, 1996 XL1200, 1999 ST1100

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 12:48:15 AM »
 :icon_eek: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I hope you heal quickly too... and I'm glad it wasn't worse for you.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline Bluesmudge

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 02:16:30 PM »
Glad you are still with us!
When you are feeling up to it, give us an update on what happened, how your bike and gear did, and what you wish you would  have done differently (if anything). We can all learn from your crash.

Bones will heal, bikes can usually be repaired, and lessons can be learned. At least you have a spare motorcycle!

Between you crashing and my wife just having a slowish speed drop/crash in a parking lot on Friday, Im getting lots for reminders to wear all the gear all the time. It can happen to any of us on any ride! Motorcycling is a dangerous sport.

Careful with the pain meds.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 02:25:43 PM by Bluesmudge »

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 06:03:02 PM »
I was riding in the inside lane of a 4 lane highway with a turn lane on the middle, approached what was probably a car accident with emergency vehicles and lights on the other side of the road. Literally glanced over to see what was up, like to assess whether it was going to affect my side of the road, and 1 second later I looked ahead to find the traffic in front of me was stopping. I think rubber necking.

Anyway I grabbed enough front brake to lock the tire and went down. No idea how the crash went down except that the forks are bent and broken, front wheel had a flat spot bent, handlebars bent, and metal parts like the muffler, engine casing and brake lever on the right side of the bike are scraped and ground off. Somehow dents on the top of the tank. Oddly enough my right side is not injured hardly at all but I broke ribs on my left side, broken left foot likely from being smashed somehow, and a pretty severe left ankle sprain.

I don't recall hitting the truck in front at all but evidence seems to say the bike hit something hard, maybe after I was already free of it.

I could have avoided it by not looking over to the opposite side of the road but hindsight is 20/20. there was no reason for traffic to stop in front of me so while I was sort of engine braking I just wasn't prepared for them to do that. Hard to imagine how I could have reasonably avoided it besides just being luckier. Can't pay full attention to two things at once and I just chose wrong.

So as far as gear, I was wearing normal cotton denim jeans (Wranglers, no stretch, heavy denim) and leather lace up boots. Bilt techno mesh jacket, my alpinestars gloves and RPHA helmet. The jeans got pretty ruined mostly from the EMTs cutting them off. I have a scrape on one knee. I have minor abrasions on both forearms a few inches ahead of my elbows just outside of the range of the jacket armor. Also a scrape on the heel of my hand, made it through the glove. The jacket is shredded but the armor did its job. Helmet is pretty much face area damage, scraped visor, ground off a but on the chinbar and under the logo on the forehead. The boots are history but the leather held up fine.

So, I will not hesitate to replace my RPHA helmet with another just like it. Ditto that the alpinestars gloves. I'll probably keep on wearing non Moto specific leather boots. But I probably won't get another mesh jacket. Just doesn't offer that much better airflow than my perforated leather to be worth it, but this one worked well. I may seriously consider buying a pair of Kevlar reinforced jeans.

I probably have $700 worth of gear to replace or more, the bulk of which is the helmet. Sucks that it was only a year old. The bike will probably cost $2k or so to get back in shape, but it's worth it and I'll take my time. That front wheel and fork is going to take a while to find anyway. I thought briefly about replacing it with a newish Speed Twin but I really do love the old Bonneville.

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 07:46:18 AM »
son of a crap!  Sorry to hear that. :cry:

I guess at least you're not mangled or departed.  Still, that really sucks donkey juevos.

where pics?! :dunno_black: oh wait maybe that's inappropriate :icon_razz:

Could you have lane split at the last millisecond?  I know you said that you didn't think you could've done anything.  Just wondering,...

Hope you heal up quick sir.
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 08:55:21 AM »
nah, there's no way I could have swerved without braking. I was swerving to my right by reflex but without braking I would have slammed into the truck. Literally all happened in like half a second.

My dad sent pictures of the bike, it's at his house awaiting repair. But they don't say much. I'm not taking pictures of my crushed foot. Might take some of the helmet, gloves and jacket.

Offline Bluesmudge

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 11:16:22 AM »
I've had this exact crash before. A couple times actually. Riding without ABS is just asking for this to happen eventually.
In a panic stop scenario, if you grab a load of front break without:

1.) Pre-loading force on the break pads to give the forks time to compress so that you don't force the front tire to skid
2.) Have the front wheel pointed 100% straight

You will go down every time you don't do those things in a panic stop scenario. That is too much to ask for non-professional riders. Its absurd we are stilling selling NEW motorcycles every day without ABS. You did nothing wrong other than purchasing a bike without ABS. There are times were you need to look away for a second that's just a fact of riding/driving.

As far as gear, I know what I choose to wear to avoid the injuries you received but I also know most people don't want to wear as much gear as I do.

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 11:41:04 AM »
there is possibly more gear I could have worn but I was like 80% atgatt. I never ride without the right gloves, armored jacket, good helmet, and solid leather boots that cover my ankles. I sometimes ride with Moto boots but due to foot problems they can't work if I have to walk at my destination. As extra margin I'll probably buy a pair of Kevlar reinforced jeans. But truthfully my injuries are minimal. Somehow my left foot got smashed. I don't know how. No boot that allows your ankle to flex would have prevented this injury.

I agree there's just no way to ride without looking left and right. Especially when it's emergency lights and multiple emergency vehicles. The whole idea is to get you to pay attention. ABS would be great for sure. It seems like as self contained as motorcycle front brakes are you'd be able to retrofit it. But it's uncommon until at least like 2017. Nuts. Plus I can't understand why so many motorcyclists are so resistant to ABS. My Triumph is a 2012 and they were identical until 2016, ABS not even available.

Offline Bluesmudge

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 09:03:09 AM »
95% of the time I ride on the street with full a full armored Aerostich or leather suit, MX boots (calf height and nearly ski-boot stiff), and a hi-viz airbag vest. I would hope the level of gear I climb into every ride would mitigate some of the injuries you sustained from this crash.

But I'm in the 1% of safety nuts. I think a lot of people would choose the injuries you are dealing with vs a lifetime of dealing with full riding suits and remembering to wear and attach an airbag vest.

Sounds like your helmet did a great job. Those RPHA helmets are supposed to be just as good as Shoei and Arai for a little less $. Helmets can only get so good. I wish there would be some big leap in helmet technology because I can't afford another serious concussion myself.

The ABS thing I really don't understand. Other than non-dirt rear ABS on steep downhill off-road descents, ABS does nothing to your riding experience until the moment you would have crashed without it. Totally worth the ~$250 it costs to add it to a new bike and maybe 8 lbs of extra weight. My $3500 2019 Honda C125 Cub has ABS but you can still buy a brand new 2020 GSXR750 for $13,000 without ABS (not even an option for ABS!).
I've crashed on the street more times than I would like to admit and ~80% of those crashes wouldn't have happened if I had ABS on the bikes I was riding (usually a GS500).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 09:14:45 AM by Bluesmudge »

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 05:33:24 AM »
I completely agree with everything you said Bluesmudge.

I wish it was more practical for me to gear up like you do. It's a calculated risk. I guess the statistics caught up with me.

And at this point I am really questioning my decision to get a Bonneville SE rather than a street twin or RE 650 which both have ABS standard. I like the look, feel, etc of the air cooled Bonnie better but maybe I should have given more weight to the ABS.

Anyway I went to my podiatrist last week, remember I just recently had surgery on my left foot, and he says the foot is broken in 5 places and will likely require surgery again. Getting a CAT scan today. September is likely to kinda suck.

I've already begun collecting parts to repair the Triumph. Probably will be end of next month before I can start turning wrenches just due to my mobility. Front wheel is harder to find than hen's teeth. But I have hope to get it all back together in time for glorious Texas fall riding unless I absolutely can't get a front wheel.

Offline Bluesmudge

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 10:04:01 AM »

Anyway I went to my podiatrist last week, remember I just recently had surgery on my left foot, and he says the foot is broken in 5 places and will likely require surgery again. Getting a CAT scan today. September is likely to kinda suck.

Yikes, best of luck with that endeavor! I hope it heals up ok for you in the long run.

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 06:27:37 AM »
As I'm healing up, I am discovering just how spoiled I have been to have enjoyed excellent health. After surgery on both feet two and a half months ago, and then just after I was able to put on shoes again a wreck that promised two more months in a cast and no ability to bear weight on my foot, I am being made very aware how much I took this for granted. Still I'm frustrated that I can't move around and do what I want to do, and my lifestyle has been disrupted quite a lot.

Anyway, as soon as I can stand on both feet, move motorcycles around the garage, and carry a motorcycle tank around, I'll get out there and fix the oil leak on the GS so I can ride. It's pretty clear that I'll be down to just one motorcycle for most of the fall, the GS is going to be the one. Nothing wrong with that, and glad I kept it and did all of the work to get it dialed in.

I have most of the parts on hand to fix up the Triumph. A front fork and front wheel were both very difficult to find parts and expensive to purchase. I had originally guessed the budget for the entire repair would be about $1500 including paint work on the tank, but as I am further investigating the exact condition of the bike it seems clear that the parts bill is going to approach $2K. Plus a new helmet and gloves alone will be about $500. And medical bills from this whole thing, even though I have extremely good insurance, are going to be around $1K out of pocket. That was an expensive tenth of a second of my life, let me tell you.

On the upside, I will likely wind up with some subtle upgrades to the Triumph, and luckily will be able to restore the whole bike back to the condition it was in before the wreck, which was very close to perfect.

Here's the interesting thing. I have heard and read about many people who had motorcycle wrecks and find themselves understandably hesitant to get back on a motorcycle. I hear a lot of stories that people finally sell their bikes and get on with a more safe lifestyle. And I have many friends and most of my family who expect me to do the same. I think my wife is not so secretly annoyed that I am not only fixing my broken motorcycle, but already planning to ride again as soon as possible. The thing is, I am eager to get back on the bike. I am saddened that I am losing out on a couple of months of great riding weather here in Central TX. And it is heartbreaking to see my beloved Bonneville in wrecked pieces. I get a lot of joy from motorcycling, and I need that joy back in my life ASAP. I guess I have conditioned myself to learn to take accidents in stride after 30 years of mountain biking and cycling and doing other sort of quasi extreme sports that include slightly above average risks. But I did break a rib last year on an ergonometer, so I just realize that life has injury risk, and I'm not a daredevil or one to take stupid risks, but I just don't really comprehend living in fear.

And of course there's the motorcycle repair. What are you going to do? I mean, the bike was not insured. I could have just written it off, part out the motorcycle and move on to another one, but parting it out would have been a lot more work than fixing it. And then what? I'd have to put the same money that I am spending in replacement parts in on a new motorcycle. As long as I'm going to continue riding a motorcycle, I''m going to repair it. It's that simple. And frankly since I use my motorcycles for transportation regularly, my $30K Jeep gets very little use and experiences little wear and tear, and a set of tires for the Jeep would cost more than this whole repair process. A replacement clutch would be even more expensive. So there's a little bit of perspective. The fact is a $6K motorcycle is a lot less expensive to own, use, and repair than a $30K four wheeler.

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 07:40:51 AM »
Always enjoy reading your posts,...  I think it's great you're fixing it.  I hope to the Almighty you do a thread on it with pics!! :woohoo:

For me it's hard to give up on a bike.  I'm still sitting on an r1 that has a bad tick.  Logic would say just dump it for a grand and keep moving but I, just, can't give up, on,..it.  My wife can't stand it.  haha  Again glad to see you're going to fix it.  Another thing, it's fabnastic that you kept the gs!

You think you'll gear up any better when you get back on?
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 10:12:49 AM »
Always enjoy reading your posts,...  I think it's great you're fixing it.  I hope to the Almighty you do a thread on it with pics!! :woohoo:

Thanks for saying that. I can do a thread, but it's really OT for GSTwins. There's a thread over on TriumphRat.

You think you'll gear up any better when you get back on?

Well, just about the only way I could gear up better short of full leathers would be some kind of riding pants, and I'm just not going there. The big reason is that since I use my bikes for ordinary transportation, which almost always requires me to be in normal presentable clothing when I get to where I'm going. Plus I have a history of foot issues that essentially rules out using dedicated motorcycle boots.

I have a pair of moto boots that I can tolerate while on the bike but I can't walk in them, but I might be more likely to wear them when going on a purely recreational ride or if I'm carrying any kind of luggage that includes normal shoes. I might consider a pair of these Dickies moto jeans with "IRONCLOTH" (!) for the same purpose, but it'd be way cooler if they weren't only available in black.

But as a rule, I'll continue with my armored jacket, a new RPHA70ST helmet, another pair of Alpinestars SMX-Air-1 V2 gloves along with non-stretch jeans and my Keen "The 59" boots. MOTGATT.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 01:23:45 PM by mr72 »

Online Sporty

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2020, 04:58:08 PM »

Almost every time I have a close call on braking, its because Im not looking straight ahead. IDK why it seems different than car driving. I have to remind myself only look straight ahead in traffic.  I have MC pants, armored mesh jacket, or  armored leather jacket, Shoei full face helmet. 
I wear heavy boots and gloves. I go by dress for the slide, not by the ride. I dont preach, its just what I wear.

Some riders are cool with shorts, t-shirt and sneakers. Some of them have called me out with the gear. Ive heard when my time is up, its up. Id rather be dead than wear gear like that
If Im in the mood, Ill say something like you should be so lucky, because instead, you might be in wheelchair, paralyzed with half your face ground off... but alive.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 05:16:36 PM by Sporty »
1993 GS500E, 1996 XL1200, 1999 ST1100

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 04:47:51 AM »
Almost every time I have a close call on braking, its because Im not looking straight ahead.

I can totally agree with that. The problem is that it's basically impossible to have good situational awareness of all that's going on around you and keep scanning for unexpected things happening from the side without looking around a bit. In my case my attention was deliberately diverted by the emergency lights. Thinking back, the main thing I could have done differently here would be to maintain much greater following distance. I honestly don't recall what my following distance to the car in front was before I glanced over to the emergency lights but when I get back on the bike, I will make a deliberate effort to extend that following distance far more than I am accustomed to from driving cars on the road. In 31 years of driving 10-15K/yr in urban/suburban traffic I have never had a rear-end collision, so there's evidence that my habitual following distance is good for cars, but not good for bikes.

Some riders are cool with shorts, t-shirt and sneakers. Some of them have called me out with the gear. Ive heard when my time is up, its up. Id rather be dead than wear gear like that
If Im in the mood, Ill say something like you should be so lucky, because instead, you might be in wheelchair, paralyzed with half your face ground off... but alive.

I hope I haven't come off as being against ATGATT. I'm really not. My dad frequently rides in shorts and no gloves and doesn't even own an armored jacket, even though I tried to give him one. He refuses to even try a full face helmet. I hassle him about it constantly. And the friend who I was going to meet for a ride on the day I crashed is a new rider, had only had a motorcycle for like two weeks on that day, and I have been trying to use my experience as further evidence to get him to gear up better... he has a good helmet but the wrong gloves and doesn't have an armored jacket. He is also a pro guitar player and I think I got the point across when I showed him my RH glove with the carbon fiber knuckles ground off like 3-5mm.

On the other hand, they say that wearing a helmet in a car would also prevent a lot of injuries and death but auto drivers would never accept the inconvenience of it, the marginal improvement in safety is not worth the cost to convenience. Same for 5-point restraints and roll cages. I think armored/aramid-lined pants for motorcycles are in the same category for me. Truth is, armored jeans are not going to save my life in a wreck but they may save me some pain and recovery time. But if I were to make it a rule that I wear some kind of moto specific pants on every ride then I just would not ride, I'd drive instead. And the reality of it all is that driving your car is far safer than riding a motorcycle, so no matter what each one of us has accepted a suboptimal point along the safety continuum whenever we get on a motorcycle and leave the car parked or don't hop on a bus instead, and jeans-vs-motopants makes a pretty tiny difference in that point on the continuum. I try to gear up to the extent that's prudent.

So FWIW my dad's argument against the full face helmet and armored jacket (and at least jeans!) is that the helmet limits his visibility and a jacket and jeans are too hot in TX. I think the fact that way back in the 70s he rode a motorcycle for transportation in my hometown of Jonesboro, AR with a population at the time of 30K people and the biggest town in what was a huge area of vast farmland and forest, and back then going 30mph everywhere with no traffic to speak of his open face helmet and shorts and t-shirt got the job done ok. Hard to break that old habit. My other friend who is a new rider doesn't have the gear because it's expensive, and after just barely talking his wife into the motorcycle purchase and taking on a whole new money draining hobby when they have small children at home and bills and not infinite income, it's hard to buy an $80 pair of gloves when a $25 pair is available, and hard to buy a $300 jacket when there's a leather jacket (sans armor) hanging in the closet. I'm just saying there are reasons besides being a self-destructive idiot that cause people to choose not to gear up.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 11:22:02 AM by mr72 »

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 10:34:23 AM »
MOTGATT... I like that.

I do love my riding/over pants I bought a few years ago with the armored hips and knees... but I admit, I don't wear them every single time I'm riding. My other gear... absolutely.

Infinity agree about increased following distance. It's something I've gotten into the habit of doing years ago and was amplified when I was rear-ended while stopped back in 2013.

I don't follow whatever "amount of seconds" rules there are in Driving/Riding books... I choose to literally leave several car lengths between me and the vehicle in front of me while moving. Always.

When I come up to a stop sign or light, I leave at least one full car length between me and any vehicle in front of me. The time I was wrecked into was by a vehicle who was pushed into me from one behind them. I wouldn't have gotten hit if they would have been stopped farther away behind me.

My thinking is, there are soooooo many variables... so many things that could go wrong regarding a vehicle in front of me... like mechanical malfunctions... or a sudden animal or debris in the road... then there are things that can distract me... or as was mentioned, the fact that you should be aware of all of your surroundings. Maintaining that extra cushion of space is something I feel has been very helpful to me.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline Bluesmudge

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2020, 07:29:09 PM »
Mr 72, if you don't like the hassle of putting on riding pants and have to show up wearing normal clothes, look into Aerostich and Motoport 1 piece riding suits.
I wear my Aerostich year round for commuting and it takes just as long to put on as a jacket, but I get a full suit on instead. 30 seconds and its off and locked in my side case or top case. In Texas a kevlar mesh 1 piece from Motoport probably makes more sense than the Goretex aerostich. Both suits are American made products that you can feel good about buying. The gear is expensive, but if it avoids a $1000 deductible, the gear pays for itself and makes riding more comfortable and fun.

I had a crash last weekend that would have ended many people's riding careers. Full gear allowed me to ride home, switch bikes, and then run some errands with the motorcycle that evening with nothing but minor bruising and fabric burn on an elbow and knee. It was my first time crashing in my airbag vest and I can say it was my most comfortable crash yet. Doing a barrel roll down the road at 20 mph was literally comfortable. I believed in the tech in theory before, but now I know it works (even in a low-side where I was skeptical if the low-tech tether type air bag would deploy in time). If it lets you keep riding, I think its worth it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 07:34:15 PM by Bluesmudge »

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2020, 05:27:21 AM »
Man that stinks you crashed! Glad to hear you are alright and sounds like the bike was rideable after.

Btw I don't pack my jacket, I just wear it at my destination. Not enough room to pack on the bike. But you are starting to sell me in your gear choice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk