Author Topic: Most annoying question  (Read 802 times)

Offline Dipper

• Local Club Racer
Most annoying question
« on: December 16, 2020, 10:26:45 PM »
What is the most annoying question you get from family, friends or just random strangers about your motorcycle. For me it is without a doubt.

Is it fast?

Some of the answers I've given.
Faster than that pos car you just got out of.
Ask your girlfriend.
No. Do you want to race for titles.
Put on some shorts and sandals and take it for a ride.
Not as fast as my moped.

Offline gruntle

• AMA Supersport Racer
Re: Most annoying question
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 04:16:25 AM »
Is it a Harley Davidson?
NO IT EFFIN' ISN'T - IT DOES ACTUALLY GO ROUND CORNERS PROPERLY ETC ETC ETC...
 :angeldevil:

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 05:14:40 AM »
The most common question I get, which also happens to be annoying, is, "When are you gonna get a 'real' (bigger) bike?"

As a bonus, the most unique question I've ever gotten was, "Is your bike a 'girl bike'? Like, do they make girl and boy bikes?"
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline Dipper

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 07:46:24 AM »
I got the real bike question one time. It was from an annoying drunk who didn't even own a motorcycle. He kept calling it a beginner bike.

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 03:07:00 PM »
I've also encountered that "real bike" mindset from some Harley owners... if it's any brand like Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawa, etc... it's not a real bike... just a "rice burner."
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 06:44:20 AM »
yeah I get the "real bike" one from time to time regardless of which bike I am on, always from Harleyphiles. Has nothing to do with displacement or wheelbase.

Truthfully though the only common and quite  annoying question I keep getting now is: "so you're going to quit riding now, right?" As if this is something crazy people just have to get out of their system. Then they all seem dumbfounded with my response: "have you ever been in a car accident? Why didn't you quit driving?"

Offline Bluesmudge

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 01:31:39 PM »
The most annoying questions for me is when somebody who knows little about motorcycles finds out that I ride and asks what kind of motorcycle I have.

That would be like me asking someone who is into sewing what kind of sewing machine they have. They may have more than one and their answer will mean nothing to me.

Me: "Well actually, I have 3 motorcycles. 4 if you coun't my wife's. My main bike is a 2006 Suzuki GS500F which looks like a Sport bike but is really just a mid-sized UJM, nearly unchanged since 1989, pretending to be a GSXR"

Them:  Oh cool, GSXR! How fast does it go?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 01:34:45 PM by Bluesmudge »

Offline gruntle

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 07:01:13 PM »
:angeldevil:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 01:36:19 AM by gruntle »

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 06:58:08 AM »
The most annoying questions for me is when somebody who knows little about motorcycles finds out that I ride and asks what kind of motorcycle I have.

yeah, well I have the flip side of that experience. Everyone knows what a Triumph Bonneville is. AND they will go on about how they had one when they were young or how cool their grandpa's Bonnie was. I get people next to me to stop lights rolling down their windows and yelling "that's a gorgeous Bonneville, what year is it? I'd you restore it yourself?" Because they think it is old.

Steve McQueen, Bob Dylan, Evel Knievel, Clint Eastwood, Tom Cruise, Ryan Reynolds, thanks guys. You kinda ruined Bonneville ownership a little bit.

Offline Sporty

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 01:50:32 PM »
Me: "Well actually, I have 3 motorcycles. 4 if you coun't my wife's. My main bike is a 2006 Suzuki GS500F which looks like a Sport bike but is really just a mid-sized UJM, nearly unchanged since 1989, pretending to be a GSXR"

Them:  Oh cool, GSXR! How fast does it go?
:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
Used Suzuki GS500 = motorcycle adventure without leaving the shop.

Current motorcycles: 1993 GS500E, 1996 XL1200, 1999 ST1100

Offline Sporty

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 02:00:39 PM »
No comments on the GS500E, but it’s only been a few test rides so far.

Sportster:

Oh Sportster,  is that a girls bike? (Answer: yep)

Is that a Skirtster?  (Answer: do you want to look up my skirt?)

When are you going to get a real Harley?  (Answer: when my mom lets me)

ST1100:

What  kind of motorcycle sounds like that?   (Answer: it’s electric)

Common  statements;

“I wouldn’t be caught dead riding that bike “
“I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing that helmet”

Reply : you prob would be dead if you tried.
Used Suzuki GS500 = motorcycle adventure without leaving the shop.

Current motorcycles: 1993 GS500E, 1996 XL1200, 1999 ST1100

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • MotoGP Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach and Moto Enthusiast!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 06:36:18 PM »
Ducati Monster.

From other motorcycle owners/enthusiasts: How bad is the maintenance?
Usually get a wide eyed stare when I tell them I change the oil at 9000 miles.

From non-riders I don't really get a lot of questions, but since everyone knows Ducati I do usually get a lot of compliments.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 09:12:26 AM »
Interesting. My Triumph has been incredibly reliable and the OCI recommended by the manufacturer is 10K miles. But I'm nuts and I change the oil every 2500 miles anyway. Just because, why not?

OTOH once I crashed it, finding parts to repair it was a difficult and expensive process. I heard about a friend who had a Monster and someone backed into it in a parking garage, denting the tank. New tank was like $2000. Not including paint!

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 09:13:57 AM »
hmmmm,...  Generally here in Houston,...it's about traffic.  Like aren't you scared to ride in Houston's crazy traffic?  Either that or something about riding in cold/hot weather depending on time of year.

One particular dude (customer) rags on me about not being a 'real' rider cause I don't ride out to Galveston or scenic routes to 'enjoy' riding.  Doesn't matter that I ride every day, rain or not, to work and he doesn't even have a bike,..! 
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline sledge

• Motorcycle God!
  • He's Mr Brightside
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 01:01:18 PM »
In the past it was...... "How f%$king much"?

But these days, and with regard  to my GS5........"Is it really 27years old, I dont believe you!"
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 01:02:29 PM by sledge »

Offline Toogoofy317

• Calling Dr. Sharp, Dr. Sharp, code blue in O & E forum
  • Motorcycle God!
  • Addy and me
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 06:26:38 AM »
Hey gang! I know it's been too long but I'm still hanging in there. I'm listed status4 for a new heart

I've not been able to ride for a couple of years. But, it was Always when are you getting a bigger bike? Like listen there is no situation in my life right now to even begin justifying going over 100MPH! Another favorite why do you wear all that stuff (ATGATT)? I enjoy myself in one because it causes great peace!
2004 F, Fenderectomy, barends, gsxr-pegs, pro grip gel covers, 15th JT sprocket, stock decals gone,custom chain guard,GSXR integrated mirrors, flush mount signals, 150 rear tire,white rims, rebuilt top end, V&H Exhaust, Custom heel and chain guard (Adidasguy)

Offline Bluesmudge

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 03:07:17 PM »
Hey gang! I know it's been too long but I'm still hanging in there. I'm listed status4 for a new heart

I've not been able to ride for a couple of years. But, it was Always when are you getting a bigger bike? Like listen there is no situation in my life right now to even begin justifying going over 100MPH! Another favorite why do you wear all that stuff (ATGATT)? I enjoy myself in one because it causes great peace!

Good to see you back on the forum!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk