Author Topic: Pivot around on side stand?  (Read 134 times)

Offline Kilted1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AMA Supersport Racer
Pivot around on side stand?
« on: August 17, 2018, 12:26:38 AM »
Was at the grocery store a while back, maybe late last summer or so.  I see this guy come out to his sport bike which was parked nose in.  Instead of the expected walking it back out of the slot, he just tips the whole bike up on it's side stand and rotates it around in place! Of course then he just jumps on and rides away normally.  I'd never seen this procedure before.  Is this a common practice that I've somehow missed?  Is it even safe? 

Obviously you wouldn't want to do this with a larger rolling sofa, Gullwong or Hardly-able-son type.  It'd probably just snap the stand off.  But with smaller bikes?  Would you do this?  Or do you think it's just this one guy who DGAF?

Offline Sarasi

• Local Club Racer
Re: Pivot around on side stand?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 10:38:12 AM »
 Sure you can, and it's kind of a thing, yeah. I let my boyfriend do something similar sometimes, to get the bike in his garage if a car has parked too close in front of the door - there's no way to make the turn otherwise in that case. But it's just a few degrees then, and he always lifts the rear wheel.

I do know a few people who think it's no big deal and they always do it. I also know that two of them have broken off their side stand once. The thing is that I haven't heard of anyone who doesn't do this pivoting breaking their side stand.

My personal opinion is that it's useful when it's useful, but even in that case, don't overdo it and I would never truly pivot it on the side stand. At most, I'd slide it a bit while lifting the rear.

If I truly had to pivot my bike all the way, I'd use my center stand. But I can't think of any situation where there are no other options.
'02 GS500H ("Duckling")
RVS exhaust system | steel braided front brake line | progressive fork springs | R6 '11 rear shock | adjustable brake & clutch levers | heated grips

Offline qcbaker

• World Supersport Racer
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 11:03:07 AM »
I wouldn't say rotating the bike on the side stand is "common" but its not unheard of. Its a good way to turn your bike around if you've got limited space.

When I park my bike in my garage, I almost always lift the rear wheel and drag the tail of the bike so that its closer to the wall than I could've gotten it otherwise. Sort of similar, but not exactly the same thing.

Offline Bluesmudge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 04:41:07 PM »
The stock side stand on the GS can handle it. Once you find the center of balance a motorcycle doesn’t weigh anything. Any experienced motorcyclist should be able to walk around their bike off the stand using just two index fingers. Same thing with this “trick”. You can basically pull the bike into your lap, find the balance point and spin around with 0 effort. Only thing to be careful of is damaging the pavement.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 04:42:43 PM by Bluesmudge »

Offline yamahonkawazuki

• Resident MonoPod
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • -Dum spiro spero (while i breathe, i hope)
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 05:16:07 PM »
Was at the grocery store a while back, maybe late last summer or so.  I see this guy come out to his sport bike which was parked nose in.  Instead of the expected walking it back out of the slot, he just tips the whole bike up on it's side stand and rotates it around in place! Of course then he just jumps on and rides away normally.  I'd never seen this procedure before.  Is this a common practice that I've somehow missed?  Is it even safe? 

Obviously you wouldn't want to do this with a larger rolling sofa, Gullwong or Hardly-able-son type.  It'd probably just snap the stand off.  But with smaller bikes?  Would you do this?  Or do you think it's just this one guy who DGAF?
if it will work on a hardleable son type will work as well as ir would a suckzuki. Something you dont know harley designed this into the stand..
Aaron
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Offline mr72

• World Superbike Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 05:30:07 PM »
My side stand has a surprising amount of slack/gap where it mounts. Is this normal? I was actually thinking of adding some washers to take up the slack between the stand and the mount so it doesn't flex nearly as much, but this trick would be super helpful for me since I have to U-turn the bike in the garage bay due to not having a flat space on the driveway to work with.

Offline Kilted1

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 10:57:32 PM »
Something you dont know harley designed this into the stand..
Aaron
Obviously I did not know that.  Cool!  Makes me want to go try it.  :)

Offline Joolstacho

• AMA Superbike Racer
    • www.gigarboxblues.com.au
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 12:06:31 AM »
Why on earth people park their bike nose-in baffles me completely.
Newbie trait for sure.
Nose-in, the downward camber of the road makes it much more likely that the bike could roll forward off the stand.
And if it's resting against a kerb, you have to pull it back a bit before you can pivot it anyway. What is the point?
Dead easy to cruise up, back in, and afterwards an easy stylish getaway!
No risk damaging anything with this pivoting nonsense.
Dear oh dear...
Beam me up Scottie....

Offline Kilted1

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 03:03:15 AM »
Why on earth people park their bike nose-in baffles me completely.
Newbie trait for sure.
Nose-in, the downward camber of the road makes it much more likely that the bike could roll forward off the stand.
And if it's resting against a kerb, you have to pull it back a bit before you can pivot it anyway. What is the point?
Dead easy to cruise up, back in, and afterwards an easy stylish getaway!
No risk damaging anything with this pivoting nonsense.
Dear oh dear...
Totally agree with you!  I usually back in or go for a pull-through regardless of what I'm driving.  Exception is my wife's van in which case it's the gimp slot. 

However, the case in the OP was in a flat parking lot with cars on 3 sides.  It happened so quick and I was only half paying attention, it took a moment to realize what I had witnessed.   :dunno_black:

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • MotoGP Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach and Moto Enthusiast!
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 04:54:03 AM »
I do it all the time when teaching MSF.  Students often park at really odd angles, and rather than do a 15 point turn it's easier to adjust it on the side-stand.

I don't do it often on my personal bikes, but I do it once in a while.  Lately I've been doing it a little more since I've been parking on the patio because the manager of my apartment complex, in all his wisdom, decided that being able to see my parking space from my apartment was too convenient and so moved me over to a separate parking lot, literally obscuring the view of my bike by not one, but two whole other buildings.
Yeah, that ain't gonna fly.  I'll deal with the inconvenience of having to walk my bike along a sidewalk and through a narrow gate rather than walking across the lot one morning to find it damage or missing.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Offline The Buddha

• The guru Ba-moo-derator
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 09:44:06 PM »
That is easy on center stand and side stand as well.
I don't think its very harmful with center stand, but side stand … probably bad.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • MotoGP Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach and Moto Enthusiast!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 01:26:52 AM »
That is easy on center stand and side stand as well.

I'd be more.worried about dropping it off the center stand than the side stand.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Offline yamahonkawazuki

• Resident MonoPod
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • -Dum spiro spero (while i breathe, i hope)
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 08:34:19 PM »
I wpuld do this on my 883c sportster. Quite easy tbh. Compared to my gs i had also it was twice the weight nearly.
Aaron
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD