Author Topic: Last Post Wins - V3  (Read 728323 times)

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • MotoGP Racer
Re: Last Post Wins - V3
« Reply #9100 on: May 11, 2020, 10:32:18 AM »
man it looks great right there pete
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9101 on: May 15, 2020, 12:36:31 PM »
Cheers! It's a bit of an old photo, still have the loaner stock carbs on there but I managed to fluke a good photo, mine are usually pretty crappy  :icon_rolleyes:
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9102 on: June 27, 2020, 02:17:42 PM »
So I guess I won?  :woohoo: :cheers: :flipoff: :angeldevil:

Hope you lot are all doing well!

Allow me to post some things...

My new found isolation hobby has had some good success, including a mini version of my Kat including some modifications to get it closer to reality including anti dive block off plates, no air box, and a representation of the digital dash. So far there's Wayne Gardner's '86 NSR500, stock Kat, and "my" Kat. Next up is a popup Kat, then hoping to be able to do "my" 450 at some point if I can find one at a reasonable price.

IMG_4194 by starpoint73, on Flickr

IMG_4192 by starpoint73, on Flickr

IMG_4193 by starpoint73, on Flickr

Had a fantastic morning ride out yesterday with nine Kats in attendance, blue skies, dry roads, and not too cold.

IMG_4199 by starpoint73, on Flickr

IMG_4201 by starpoint73, on Flickr
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #9103 on: June 28, 2020, 10:38:28 AM »
Pete those lil models are fantastic!!! And I love that you got a nice ride in too.

All is well here with me thankfully :D Been getting some work accomplished on my Spirit, helped my family with a rather large project recently and I'm getting ready to put glossy new white downspouts on my house (hopefully) today :woohoo:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9104 on: June 29, 2020, 08:27:43 PM »
Cheers ShowBiz! Definitely happy with how they turned out and they've been a very welcome distraction while being largely stuck at home. We started working from home on the 18th March and I'm still here... may start some form of back to the office on 12th July but nothing's definite yet. Can't wait to be honest! At least we can ride recreationally now which is awesome.

Glad to hear you're doing well :D  :woohoo:

What did you get done on the Spirit, any pics? What was the family project? Good luck with the house renos too! I painted our gutters a number of years ago and that was horrendous. Spent four days up on trestles (two story house) in high winds trying to paint... next time I'm paying someone else to do it I hope :D
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9105 on: June 30, 2020, 12:59:54 PM »
That is a looooong time to be at home, my goodness. I do hope you're able to get out by that date!

I do have lots of pics of the Spirit... if you're interested, I can upload some. I don't share too much about my car online because people don't understand it... and instead of them asking, they just make fun.

I imagine this is a pretty safe place though... haha, it technically IS the 'Tard Farm even though this thread has been full of VERY good stuff!!!

Sometimes people like it and think it's cool... but other times, it brings out the vicious side in people. I totally understand that driving a car with graffiti paint on it (on purpose) is questionable... so it invites people to be mean as hell... but damn, you should read some of the things people have said. They don't even want to try to understand the concept or the meaning behind it.

All the new rear brake parts are on so that means the whole underneath of the car is complete except for the new exhaust.

The exterior is almost complete too, I just have to touch up the portraits (brush paint), put the wiper arms back on with new wipers and put the new Dodge windshield banner on.

My plan is to get it to the point where I can legally drive it home (the whole interior still needs done, inside the car is just the driver's seat bolted down) by the end of August so September I can take the van off the road for a bit to finish the cosmetic work that I started last year. I got about 75% of the van done last year before winter came.

I'm not driving the Spirit in the winter anymore (not unless I HAD to) so the van would have to be ready by then.

The family project was cleaning out a house for our Credit Union that was foreclosed on. Years ago when I was in middle school and high school, we would mow lawns in the summer and empty out houses that got repo'ed to pay for our beach vacations. It was fun and I enjoyed the time with my family. Was really cool to get to do it again!
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9106 on: July 02, 2020, 03:15:55 AM »
Yeah it feels like forever I've been sitting in my rumpus working, definitely going stir crazy with cabin fever  :dunno_white: :icon_rolleyes: :hithead: The cats are certainly enjoying the extra attention though!

I believe they're announcing next week that we can start going back in on the 13th July  :cheers: :woohoo: :bowdown: :icon_mrgreen:

See I don't get why people have to insult other people on stuff they enjoy and gives them satisfaction. Sure, it might not be your taste, but does that matter? Hell no! It's your car, you do what you want with it. Does it give you pleasure and satisfaction? I'm assuming it does so go for it :D Yes, I would love to see some pics. Might not be my taste, won't know 'til I see it, but I'll enjoy seeing your pride and joy and understanding that a lot of time and effort goes in to doing it as well  :thumb:

There are plenty of people who thought doing my 450 up was nuts, but I've owned it since '98 and it was one of very few things that I had when I was literally bankrupt, so it has sentimental value for me. I'm happy with what I did, it has given me nearly 90,000kms of fun since I rebuilt it, and it's still a fun little bike to ride even now I have my dream Kat as well. Don't like it? Bad luck  :flipoff: :icon_mrgreen: (I know you know exactly what I'm talking about  ;))

Sounds like the family project was a bunch of fun too, good stuff! See for me, nah, pass, I don't like cleaning other people's messes  :icon_mrgreen:
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9107 on: July 02, 2020, 01:31:19 PM »
Thank you for the kinds words Pete, I sure do appreciate it. I could have sworn you saw the Spirit before (I did post about it in a different thread a couple years ago).

I gotta be leaving for work so I don't have time for a proper reply right now but I will make one when I have a chance!

Quick words before I go.
The best way I can explain the paint is that it's kind of an outlet for me.
Like... everything else I do in life is riddled with OCD... things have to be neat, organized, clean, planned out, etc... (you've seen my bike thread)... but the graffiti paint is supposed to be crazy and fun and nonsensical.
I wanted the car to look like it spent the night in a bad part of town LOL... like what sense does that even make??
But for some reason, I like it.
Even though it's graffiti and crazy, it's done carefully and completely. I mean the masking and the prep and whatnot. I did under the hood and in the door jambs etc.

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9108 on: July 02, 2020, 01:44:56 PM »
Ah yes I have indeed seen it before! I have memory akin to the size of a pea these days :D

See that is pretty cool, in a crazy kind of way yes but cool  ;)

I get the need for an outlet, and I also get the OCD thing as well. I get cases of that myself, like in the Kat build when I kept getting advice to do things like just get it on the road and worry about the paint later. But I just couldn't do that, I absolutely had to get that right up front or it just wouldn't be "right" for me.

Don't worry about making sense to others, as long as it makes sense to you that's all that matters!
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9109 on: July 04, 2020, 11:30:27 AM »
Made time for some pics. Very very abridged version but at least wanted to post up something.

To recap, the reason I took the car off the road was because it was rear-ended back in July of 2013. I was stopped, waiting to make a left turn, and it was hit into by a PT Cruiser which was pushed into me by a Sebring. Quite the Mopar party but not one I wanted to go to lol.

It was pretty bad IMO, especially this part:

I had to find someone who could weld and fix structural parts correctly. The first person I trusted kept my car for almost a year and did nothing with it... left it sit outside to become a home to critters and rust away. I had to have it towed out of his place and to another person. The second guy fixed the frame and installed new bumper shocks and a bumper and fixed up the damage in the trunk. Praise God.

After getting it back from him in October(ish) 2014, I had two choices. Either put some band-aids on the rest of it and keep it on the road... or strip it all down and refurbish everything. OCD won and I started the process of redoing everything.

Here are a few pictures from when I rebuilt the bumper flaring in the back.

This is a pic showing the back all repaired and painted. It's so low because there were no springs on the car at that moment.

It felt really good the day I put my plate back on.

In this pic you can see the new rear brake stuff, new springs and a little bit of the new gas tank. What you can't see is the reinforced spring mounts/seats and new spring bushings... but they are there!

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9110 on: July 04, 2020, 12:27:42 PM »
Wow that looks like it was a big hit! I guess be thankful you were in the Spirit, not on the GS. I've been rear ended once on my 450 and that was not a pleasant experience. Thankfully it was all very low speed but still, ending up on the ground with no warning isn't something I would recommend.

Did you hand make the rear bumper originally?

Glad you were able to get it repaired properly too, nothing worse than "professionals" who don't do the job they advertise.

Good to see you got some Samantha faces in there too ;) Assuming that's her and not a self portrait??

Definitely looks like a lot of work went into it so far, hope you get to finish it soon and enjoy! :D
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9111 on: July 04, 2020, 09:37:01 PM »
You are sooo right Pete... I'm infinity thankful I was not on my bike at that time.

I had no idea you were hit on your bike... very very glad you are OK!!

Most people are afraid of spiders or heights or ghosts... but my biggest fears are losing my loved ones and being in a (serious) vehicle accident.

I actually did hand-make the bumper... things. Idk what to call them. My own kind of body kit maybe? I came up with a couple varying designs over the years.

The first paint job was graffiti with just green, gray and black. People kept calling it a "camoflauge car"  :cookoo: ...so I switched to all the colors... but this pic shows the first design I made for the front bumper.

This one shows the back. Basically the same design but much flatter.

Oh I sure do have Samantha on there! I dunno how she feels about it though, looking down from Heaven. Boy, wouldn't that be the ultimate ego trip, painting your own face on a car lol!!!

Speaking of the portraits, here are some pictures of when I was originally brush painting them on the side.

Thank you for the encouragement!!! I will keep sharing pictures here for sure.

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9112 on: July 05, 2020, 03:07:46 AM »
Wow that's awesome, you sure have some artistic talent there! I struggle drawing stick figures  :icon_lol:

I guess I'd call it a body kit too? But it looks like it works well and suits the car, definitely in admiration of your ability to get your car where you want it, and having that artistic flare most definitely helps there  :thumb:

The stuff I make for my bikes is very functional, no form at all, but it works for what I want. I'm just happy I can spray paint enough for the solid colours I like :)

Definitely keep the pics coming! I like the Evil Spirit badge by the way  :D :angeldevil:
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9113 on: July 06, 2020, 08:03:11 AM »
Thanks for sharing show!  I love seeing the artwork and stuff you create!  One of my buddies passed:cry:over the weekend from a heart attack so this brought my spirits up!
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9114 on: July 06, 2020, 12:54:54 PM »
cbr I am so very sorry to hear that about your buddy  :sad: :sad: :sad:

I'm seriously glad my Spirit was able to help lift yours :-*

I wanted to share more today but idk where the time went... gotta get ready for work soon. But there will be more, for sure.

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9115 on: July 06, 2020, 02:05:15 PM »
Sorry to hear CBR! Hope you have good fond memories to remember him by  :thumb:

Also glad to hear the Spirit helped the spirit, even if it's an Evil Spirit  :icon_razz:

Looking forward to more ShowBiz!
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9116 on: July 07, 2020, 09:10:34 AM »
Thanks guys,...  I had gone over to his place weekend before last to pick up his night train,...

He'd started it and lost interest so I scooped it up.  Spent a good part of the day hanging out w him so I'm glad I got to do that before he departed to go see Jesus. :cool:
-buddha

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9117 on: July 07, 2020, 12:57:52 PM »
God is sooooo good in that way! Giving us time like that.... I wake up every day thankful for everything (and everyone) I have and I don't take it for granted. That bike looks really cool! How many do you have now cbr? He'll be looking down, watching you finish it I bet  :angel:

When I had to have my car towed out of that first guy's place (after it sat for all that time), I was so frustrated and defeated that I didn't care much how they got it up onto the rollback. The front bumper lip got broken in the process so I had to fix that up.

It's actually part of a Caravan front bumper (a later model than the Turtle Van) but I thought it fit really well with the aluminum section/design in the front so I attached it originally probably 10 or so years ago.

It felt really awesome to get the new parking light lenses and corner lenses in. I remember installing new headlights years ago but I'm not sure when that was.

Figured I'd put these pics in with this post as well. The hood latch and grille brackets needed some help so I fixed them up. I replaced every bit I could with stainless hardware... and the rest I sanded and coated with Por15.

There were bits of the grille that were broken just from age (like the brackets for the hood release lever) so I fixed those up too before I put it back on.

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9118 on: July 08, 2020, 02:07:16 AM »
That's awesome CBR, glad you got to hang out before he passed and even better you now have something tangible to hang onto and finish in his honour and to always remember a good mate  :thumb:

Looks like more fantastic work there ShowBiz! I know what it's like with fibreglass repairs and it looks like you got a great result there. I even know what a Dodge Caravan is because I used to have a Matchbox one when I was a kid :D

I must say I'm quite envious of that air driven cut off wheel you have there, would love some more air tools although it's a bit impractical noise wise for me. Going by those photos though that's not your garage ;)
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9119 on: July 08, 2020, 07:00:31 AM »
That's some GOOD stuff show!  Warms my heart to see you restore and save parts!  Spankin work on that!  How does it drive?  You may have already posted that, but I missed it.  Wondering how it feels to throttle it up and have some fun with it????

Uhhhhh,...I have four in the garage,... one outside under a cover and,...two  disassembled in the attic,.. I might have a wee problem with wanting more bikes haha  Four out of five run though!  lol 

Well the r1 still has that blasted tick.  If anybody happens to have an idea of what to try after head swap(s), multiple valve adjustments, new cct,... swapped out clutch primary gear,... https://youtu.be/4FZkazWqTZY I hope I'm an idiot and missed something simple, at this point,...

Yea I thought the same Pete!  It's weird cause it emanates his presence to me!  It even smells like 'im!  haha
-buddha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk