Author Topic: Last Post Wins - V3  (Read 728721 times)

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
Re: Last Post Wins - V3
« Reply #9160 on: August 30, 2020, 03:14:07 PM »
Oh yeah that sucks... sick but not sick enough... something wrong with our world when that situation happens!
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline yamahonkawazuki

• Resident MonoPod
  • Global Moderator
  • Motorcycle God!
  • -Dum spiro spero (while i breathe, i hope)
« Reply #9161 on: August 30, 2020, 05:31:04 PM »
Ahh well sh*t happens I guess.
Aaron
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9162 on: August 31, 2020, 07:09:52 PM »
Unfortunately it does, and 2020 seems to be a concentrated year of it too!

On a separate and bike related topic, a mate at work just came back from two weeks of adventure riding in the outback here. Man it looks like fun!
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9163 on: September 04, 2020, 12:29:09 PM »
And as a result I'm now bitten again by the proper scrambler idea I had originally for the 450.

I can get Shinko SR244 tyres here now which I never could back when I built it originally, and they're proper 50/50 dual sport tyres that are apparently good enough on bitumen and gravel roads, and that would do nicely. They're also really cheap, less than $190 for the pair! They also come in the proper factory sizing for the 450 of 3.00-18 front and 3.50-18 rear.

I'd put some proper good quality motorcross 'bars on this time, Renthals or Pro Taper or something, and I'd have to fabricate a bash plate. I've still got the hand guards too.

I reckon ~$400 would get it where I'd need it to hit some gravel roads in a national park I just discovered are near by. This is all around the area I normally ride roads on:

https://www.visitmoretonbayregion.com.au/natural-attractions/mount-mee-forest-reserve
https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0025/159028/mount-mee-trail-map.pdf

Won't be until next year if I do it though, the Kat head is the priority this year which has me budgeted to be broke until January.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9164 on: September 08, 2020, 06:59:12 AM »
"I'm now bitten again"

Funny how that happens eh
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9165 on: September 10, 2020, 02:06:24 AM »
Haha indeed!

I'm contemplating revisiting some fabrication ideas as well.

Firstly I still have yet to get that GS500 tacho onto the 450, and to do that I really need a housing to wrap around it and the speedo. Simplest option is to fibreglass something up, just need to find some sort of pipe that has a 60mm outside diameter to form a tube for the speedo. I have a suitable diameter pipe to form one for the tacho already.

Next, I really want to be able to have universal racks/luggage between the 450 and the Kat. The Kat has Hallmark L brackets (predecessor to Ventura), so I think some DIY L brackets for the 450 are in order. From my measurements and eye balling it's doable, materials will be ~$20, just need to figure out the how.

Finally would be the bash/skid plate for the 450. Just a simple one that wraps from the front down underneath the sump cover will do the trick. Mounting at the front should be easy as I can use the lower set of bolts for the front engine mount. Underneath on the right side shouldn't be too tricky as there's an engine mount there I can use. The left side is the tricky one as there's nothing there. If the sump cover was above the bottom frame rails it would be nice and simple, but it hangs down lower which is why that bit's a bit tricky. Some 3 to 4mm 6061 aluminium plate looks like it would do the trick as well.

It's nice to get the brain working on some creative ideas again, now to get motivated enought to make them reality!
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9166 on: September 20, 2020, 08:24:04 PM »
Got the Kat head back last week, so clean! Now I need to play the waiting game for a couple of pay checks before I can swap it. I need to procure gaskets, seals, etc.

IMG_4257 by starpoint73, on Flickr

IMG_4258 by starpoint73, on Flickr

IMG_4263 by starpoint73, on Flickr

IMG_4262 by starpoint73, on Flickr

IMG_4261 by starpoint73, on Flickr

IMG_4260 by starpoint73, on Flickr
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9167 on: September 26, 2020, 05:47:15 PM »
Hmmmm rather quiet in here lately... allow me to attempt to liven things up again.

It was all about the Katanas yesterday, 100% turnout!

IMG_4280 by starpoint73, on Flickr
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #9168 on: September 26, 2020, 06:50:54 PM »
 :woohoo: If that doesn't liven a place up, idk what would!!

I've been getting things done on both the Spirit and the Sebring... and I did clean and re-stain my back porch too. Will hafta update with pics.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9169 on: September 27, 2020, 02:16:33 AM »
Ah yes you will indeed! Progress is a fantastic thing, looking forward to the pics!  :thumb:

I just checked my budgeting and if I'm careful and things work out right, I might just be able to get the Kat head swapped out at Christmas time. I could definitely do it if I didn't have to replace the front tyre, but it's definitely just about dead so I'll have to do that next pay in October.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9170 on: October 03, 2020, 01:00:01 PM »
Dunno if you remember or not but I picked up a GS500 tacho to put on the 450 early on this year, and it's been sitting on the workbench since as I couldn't seem to get my head around how to mount it neatly along with the little POSH speedo I have as well. A while back I stumbled across a Triumph forum post with a similar conundrum, and that person discovered some stainless steel camping cups were the exact right diameter to make a nice stainless steel housing out of.

I'd been stuffing around with some PVC storm water pipe that was the right diameter, figuring I could make a fibreglass housing, and I used some expanding foam to fill the bottom of it so I could shape that for a nicer rounder bottom edge etc, but it was just seeming like way too much hard work. Anyway, I ended up making a cardboard template of the diameter I needed and went to Big W yesterday and yep, their stainless camping cup is the perfect size. So I spent the princely sum of $7: https://www.bigw.com.au/product/oztrail-stainless-steel-mug-9cm/p/854165/

All I need to do is remove the handle, work out the correct height to trim it down to, and drill holes for the tacho mounting posts to go through and it'll be a nice neat enclosure to match the speedo perfectly.

Then I need to clean up and paint the mounting bracket and it should be good to go.

I will of course have to post some pics.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9171 on: October 04, 2020, 02:10:37 AM »
So today ended up quite productive and I got the $7 camping cup modified to house the tacho. I've cleaned up the bracket as well so all I need to do is paint the bracket and then I can go about fitting it, relocating the speedo to it, and getting the wiring sorted for the tacho. Unfortunately I have run out of satin black paint which is a bit of a bummer.

Teaser photo to show that the tacho very much matches the speedo now, just larger.

IMG_4285 by starpoint73, on Flickr
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9172 on: October 04, 2020, 03:57:45 AM »
That is fantastic! Oh how much I love seeing things like that :D
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9173 on: October 04, 2020, 12:16:16 PM »
Yeah me too  :icon_mrgreen:

I was so happy when I found that forum post and was keen to try it. So many times I've found things like that only to find the bits aren't available here locally, but this time it worked out spot on. Now I'm keen to finish it up and get a tacho back!
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9174 on: October 06, 2020, 07:04:05 AM »
winning again pete,...  That's sweeet!

Show what's going on with sebring?  I was digging around through your posts and saw your 349 score.  I guess I missed those posts.  You fix it yet?? :dunno_black:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9175 on: October 06, 2020, 12:58:27 PM »
Progress on the Sebring is going well!

I did:
-new wipers
-new windshield washer nozzles
-new blend door actuator
-new air temperature sensor
-new license plate light lenses with stainless fasteners
-new plastic guard/valance (under the car)
-detailed cleaning and also some touch ups in the paint

Two Fridays ago I bought the used transmission for $100... a case of fluid and a new filter... the shop checked it over for me yesterday and they should be ready to put it in the car this week  :woohoo:

Last week I got the car insured for 6 months and the registration/plate taken care of, as well as a new fender ordered and sent to the body shop to have it painted. They just finished putting that on today and also sanding and polishing the headlights.

My current money spent is about $1,053... but still not bad for all that stuff I reckon!

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9176 on: October 07, 2020, 07:45:15 AM »
Good stuff right there show!  I hope all's well after they do the transmission!  Looked superb in the pic, going to look even better with you cruising in it!
-buddha

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9177 on: October 08, 2020, 10:19:05 PM »
Ah the Sebring is nearly alive again, nice!! You definitely got a good score there Showbiz, keen to see it all done and ready to be enjoyed!  :woohoo:

I ended up getting some satin black paint for the gauge bracket on the 450 and painting it on Monday (public holiday here, yay!).

Really happy with how that turned out, and I quickly put it on last night with finger tight nuts and bolts to make sure it fits ok. The new bucket for the tacho slightly impacts the bottom of the ignition barrel where it contains the steering lock but I should be able to file the corner slightly to alleviate that.

No photos yet but at this point I expect my Sunday morning will yield a complete new gauge cluster sorted and wired in ready to roll.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9178 on: October 09, 2020, 01:27:35 AM »
cbr you are too kind  :kiss3:

pete I am excited for you and that new cluster as well as the holiday!

I'll be sure to take some current pics of the car when it's all done. Should be soon!

At the moment, I think the (3rd) in-dash DVD player (of the same brand) I've got installed in the Turtle Van is dead  :technical: :2guns:
Right now, the last thing I have to check is the player's fuse (I already checked the van's fuse and tried the Reset button)... but if it's dead, I am prepared to make a PSA... that I highly recommend staying away from in-dash DVD players made by BOSS. I do not abuse my stuff and to only get ~3 years out of a player? Smh I feel like they should last longer than that.

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9179 on: October 09, 2020, 12:19:25 PM »
Things definitely aren't made like they used to be, and in an automotive environment they need to be made tough to deal with the vibrations and lumps and bumps.

Back in the day when I owned cars and worried about stereos I stuck with Alpine where possible, but I have no idea if that's still even a brand now or if there are other better ones out there.

Definitely looking forward to spending time on the 450 tomorrow and hope I can bend my knee enough to ride in to work on it for the three days next week  :D
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk