Author Topic: 2009 GS500F aftermarket speedometer/tachometer  (Read 207 times)

Offline woohoo

• Local Club Racer
2009 GS500F aftermarket speedometer/tachometer
« on: September 17, 2020, 04:09:42 AM »
Hi everyone,

anyone know what these symbols mean on each circuit? purple circle on wiring diagram (see bottom of post).
follow on question

I'm hoping there's an electrical guru out there that may be able to shed some light on the wiring of an aftermarket gauge(ebay/amazon/chinese/POS), I'm no electrical expert but willing to give things a crack.
https://www.amazon.com.au/WonVon-Speedometer-Accessories-Instruments-Modification/dp/B07QB61XQW

Currently wired gauge according the wiring diagram - gauge has 4 wires; ground, light, tacho and fuel
To no avail,
In the past when I changed my incandescent turn signals to led i had multiple issues and had to add diodes so I'm wondering if this will require a fix like that?

Problem 1
whole display illuminates aka every lcd is lit, cannot read speed/odometer because it is a series of full bars and figure 8's (if that makes sense), however; when you look at the gauge backwards (in front of the bike facing the rear reading the gauge) you can see quiet clearly the readings. So this has me very confused and can't find an answer unless it lies in the wiring diagram where I've circled in purple.

Problem 2
Tacho doesn't display, my suspicion is the same reason as problem 1. I believe I'm supposed to be adding something to the wiring (just don't know what).

----------------------------------------------

Attempt 1
Wired in diodes to tacho and light = no good

attempt 2
swapped wiring around in case gauge wiring was different to what seller alleged = no good (how it's wired is definitely correct)

attempt 3
connected battery directly to gauge to check gauge wasn't faulty = good, display was easily legible as it should be.

Any help would be much appreciated as I've searched the highs and lows of the internet and not found a whole lot of helpful info. :D

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 04:12:58 AM by woohoo »

Offline SK Racing

• Formula Extreme Racer
Re: 2009 GS500F aftermarket speedometer/tachometer
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 04:30:18 AM »
I think those are plugs.

The older GS models had a cable drive tacho and the later ones electronic. Which model do you have? Year?
You donít stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding!
1939 Panther 600cc Single - Stolen, 1970 Suzuki 50cc - Sold
1969 Triumph Bonneville 650 T120R - Sold, 1981 Honda 750F - Sold
1989 Suzuki GS500E - Sold, 2004 Suzuki GS500F - Current ride

Offline mikeg

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 05:23:31 AM »
Currently wired gauge according the wiring diagram - gauge has 4 wires; ground, light, tacho and fuel
To no avail,
In the past when I changed my incandescent turn signals to led i had multiple issues and had to add diodes so I'm wondering if this will require a fix like that?

Problem 1
whole display illuminates aka every LCD is lit, cannot read speed/odometer because it is a series of full bars and figure 8's (if that makes sense), however; when you look at the gauge backwards (in front of the bike facing the rear reading the gauge) you can see quiet clearly the readings. So this has me very confused and can't find an answer unless it lies in the wiring diagram where I've circled in purple.

Problem 2
Tacho doesn't display, my suspicion is the same reason as problem 1. I believe I'm supposed to be adding something to the wiring (just don't know what).

Any help would be much appreciated as I've searched the highs and lows of the internet and not found a whole lot of helpful info. :D

The GS doesn't have a fuel level gauge, or (as indicated in the listing for the gauge) an Oil gauge.  It only has an oil pressure warning lamp.
If you have that warning light circut wired in to the oil/fuel level indicator circuit for the gauge, it could cause an issue to where it displays all segments of that section of the LCD (because the current it is seeing indicates to it that it's at the high level).  For problem 2, if you have the circuit for the tacho illumination from the ignition switch wired in rather than the signal circuit from the ignition control unit, you'll be doing the same thing as problem 1...and can cause the same problem.  Double check that you are using the correct outputs from the bike to the inputs of the gauge.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."ó Ernest Hemingway

Offline woohoo

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 03:30:52 PM »
I think those are plugs.

The older GS models had a cable drive tacho and the later ones electronic. Which model do you have? Year?

2009, speedo is mechanical, tacho had only wires going to it. Most of which were just lighting

]

The GS doesn't have a fuel level gauge, or (as indicated in the listing for the gauge) an Oil gauge.  It only has an oil pressure warning lamp.
If you have that warning light circut wired in to the oil/fuel level indicator circuit for the gauge, it could cause an issue to where it displays all segments of that section of the LCD (because the current it is seeing indicates to it that it's at the high level).  For problem 2, if you have the circuit for the tacho illumination from the ignition switch wired in rather than the signal circuit from the ignition control unit, you'll be doing the same thing as problem 1...and can cause the same problem.  Double check that you are using the correct outputs from the bike to the inputs of the gauge.

MIKE YOU ARE THE MAN! Thanks heaps mate, been trying to wrap my head around this for a few days now and you go and solve it in a couple minutes. Appreciate your wisdom

Offline mikeg

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 04:42:11 AM »
Glad to help, and I'm happy you were able to get it sorted.

Also, Welcome to the group.   :cheers:
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."ó Ernest Hemingway

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk