Author Topic: Last Post Wins - V3  (Read 728338 times)

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
Re: Last Post Wins - V3
« Reply #9140 on: August 05, 2020, 02:12:11 AM »
Wow that's fantastic work ShowBiz! Your talent is impressive to say the least  :bowdown:

I'm possibly showing my age and/or ignorance here but... who are Wayne and Corey?
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #9141 on: August 05, 2020, 02:25:10 AM »
You just made my month Pete. Infinity thank yous for those very kind words  :kiss3:

I bet it's not an age thing but rather a "What kind of music can you tolerate" thing  :laugh:
Corey and Wayne are two of my favorite heavy metal vocalists. Corey Taylor is from Slipknot and Wayne Static is/was from Static-X. He passed away in 2014 unfortunately.

Fun fact, several years ago on a Static-X forum, (I'm lead to believe) Wayne actually saw pics of my car and he said it was very flattering to see his portraits painted on a vehicle. I of course can't prove if it's true or not but it sure did make my heart happy !
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9142 on: August 05, 2020, 11:14:17 AM »
You do great work Show!  I tried to search too but couldn't come up with anything for you,...fail :cry:

Love seeing your pics!
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9143 on: August 05, 2020, 08:07:16 PM »
Ah that explains why I don't know them!  :cool:

Definitely not a fan of that sort of metal, I guess I'm a little more mainstream than that. I do enjoy Metallica but mostly tend towards the rock/heavy rock and some punk I guess, such as AC/DC, the Offspring, some other oldies like Lagwagon. I do enjoy some Nine Inch Nails at times though!

My music collection is somewhat rather varied though, and in fact KC & the Sunshine Band is what I'm listening to as I type this  :icon_razz:

As for the artistic ability, credit where credit is due I say! If you're awesome at something you should be told ;)
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9144 on: August 08, 2020, 12:36:27 PM »
Out again yesterday  :thumb: The roads were damp and patchy but still good to get out of the house for a ride and a chin wag.

IMG_4236 by starpoint73, on Flickr

IMG_4240 by starpoint73, on Flickr
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9145 on: August 10, 2020, 12:17:16 AM »
I'm always glad to see your pics! I live vicariously through photos like this because I wish I had people to ride with. Don't get me wrong, I have friends that ride... but my schedule never seems to match up with anyone.

Music... I love pretty much all kinds. And I truly do mean all kinds. If my car had a 3rd "side", I'd be putting Reba on there  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :kiss3:

I got the other side of my car finished up today! I do apologize for some of the pics not being the best... the lighting was fighting with me.

Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9146 on: August 10, 2020, 07:40:22 PM »
Wow looking real good Show Biz!!! How much more work to do all up do you reckon? Will you be at it for months or getting close to the final enjoyment factor?

While I'm happy to ride solo, I definitely find it's better with at least a couple of trusted others, especially when hitting the twisties and lesser-used roads. It's a bit of a comfort factor in case something were to happen, but also I learn a lot from people who are more experienced than I am.

I do feel a little on edge when riding with others I'm not familiar with though, as you just never know how they're going to respond in certain situations. I can typically get an idea if I like riding with someone or not in the first 15 to 30 minutes though.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9147 on: August 11, 2020, 01:30:38 AM »
I totally understand what you mean. It's one of the main reasons I haven't put a ton of miles on my GS since I've owned it... I don't like to venture out for long distances by myself. If something were to go wrong, I can't exactly "lock myself in the vehicle and wait for help" ...or God forbid I crashed and ended up in a place where nobody would find me... :shudder:

Lemmie think. Well here (was) my plan for the summer:

Last year I cosmetically fixed up about 75% of my van. Then stopped because winter came.

This year, I wanted to get a certain amount of things done to the Spirit so I could legally drive it while I took the van off the road and finished the last 25% (which is the spoiler/wing and the roof) before this winter comes.

The Spirit goes like a tank in the snow believe it or not... and I've got really nice winter tires and wheels for it... but with all the work I've done, especially underneath the car, I really don't want to drive it in these horribly salty snowy winters anymore.

To get it where I want it to be so I can drive it home, there isn't that much left now (considering where I started)...
-touch up the paint on the hood
-clean all the glass
-sand and coat the rear floor with POR15
-reinstall the rubber floor plugs
-POR15 the driver's seat pan and feet
-reinstall the driver's seat belt
-reinstall the rearview mirror
-install a muffler and tailpipe
-new state inspection
-install a new stereo with my old sub and amp and a new interior antenna
-repaint the dash trim and recover the dash
-install new door weatherstrips

Even though I'm not where I hoped to be with it at this point in 2020, I'm still happy with all the other things I got done this year... and if the van has to wait until next year, so be it. I refuse to rush things. How does that saying go? Something like, "There's never enough time to do it right the first time but there always seems to be time to do it over again"  :icon_rolleyes:

This coming weekend I hope to get more work done and I will absolutely keep the updates coming.

Here's a pic to show you the kind of bullsh*t "The Rust Belt" states have to offer. If you were sitting in the back seat, behind the driver, those holes would be below your left thigh.

I have since fixed that (and many other spots too) but the rear floor where passengers would put their feet keep getting rust coming up through the primer... even though my car has been inside, at my dad's garage this whole time smh. This is an older pic but if I took a current one of that area, you'd be able to see the rust coming back up through. That's why I feel I need the POR15.

Last pic I figured I'd share is one of the trunk... because I am still right now not sure how I want to finish it. I don't have the original carpeting for it... and unlike the main floor carpeting, I can't order it aftermarket (at least not that I've found anywhere).

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9148 on: August 11, 2020, 07:48:45 PM »
Ok cool, not too far away then!  :woohoo:

Nice work on the rust repairs, that certainly looked like an ugly starting point. Rust is so hard to prevent too, but POR15 is good stuff so fingers crossed that helps solve it.

All you need is a humid atmosphere and one pin prick gap in paint/rust protection and it all starts again... fun times!

I agree with your comment about time too, there does indeed always seem to be time to do it again... and again... and again...  :icon_lol:
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9149 on: August 13, 2020, 06:31:40 AM »
Thanks for sharing show!   :woohoo:  Love me some before and afters!! 

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9150 on: August 13, 2020, 12:23:19 PM »
Went to the office for a full day for the first time since March 18th yesterday  :woohoo: :cheers:

Oh it was glorious! My back was so much happier at the end of the day as I was able to stand for most of it, only had to sit down for an hour or so to rest my feet in the middle of the day.

It also meant I got to take the 450 for the commute, and that was wonderful as well.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9151 on: August 18, 2020, 12:50:33 AM »
Hooray for "going" back to work!!! I'm very glad to know you had a nice time. I had some serious back pain once, last year IIRC... and it is not something I ever want to experience again. My feet hurt by the end of a shift but that's to be expected I suppose.

Yesterday I got some time in at the garage. It's hard to tell from the pictures but I was able to touch up the painting of Corey on the hood. Luckily he didn't need much repair, he was just faded  :laugh:
I found myself being almost as frustrated as I was with the Wayne portraits... because I didn't have a good quality photo to use as my guide but also because I wanna reach back in time and yell at my 18 year old self to pay more attention to details when painting LOL.

Faded.

The end result is passable.

Not sure if I mentioned it in my past posts but I ended up needing all new door weatherstrips. It took a lot of patience and price comparing but I finally bought a test strip of what looked very promising. I'm relieved to say that it worked out marvelously and I ordered enough today to do the other 3 doors.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143224761887

The last thing I figured I would share is a pic of something I'm not quite sure of how to do. The grab handle and elbow rest in this pic is made of material you can't really paint (stupid me tried it years ago).

I had it covered with fabric but I really wasn't happy with that. Any suggestions on how I can cover it? It's such an awkward shape. I want it to be either blue or orange and NOT fabric so I can wipe it/clean it.

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9152 on: August 20, 2020, 08:52:51 PM »
Yeah it was wonderful to be in the office even if for only one day. Back pain sucks and I'm glad I don't typically suffer from it much. Didn't get in at all this week but thinking of starting a couple of days in week in there from next week, fingers crossed!

Nice work on the paint touch up, looks pretty close to what you were aiming for so nicely done!  :cheers:

18 year old self, well at least you can remember yours, mine was... nearly 30 years ago  :icon_eek: :dunno_black:

Good score on the weather sealing, I had a car many years ago with dodgy weather sealing on one of the back doors and all it meant was any time it rained it just stank of wet carpet  :icon_rolleyes:

The only thing I could think of for your door trim would be some vinyl, I know it comes in many colours. How easy/hard it is to cut and work with I have no idea though.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9153 on: August 26, 2020, 12:53:12 AM »
Thank you Pete. I'm with you on the vinyl. Thinking it could work but it's uncharted territory for me. Will hafta look into it further!

I got the weatherstrips all done  :woohoo:

And... I added another Mopar to my vehicle family :o :D

I do not really like newer vehicles... and I was not looking for anything else... but I could not pass this up. It needs transmission work which is why I scored it for only $349.00 from a co-worker.

2010 Chrysler Sebring

A junk yard here in town has seventeen used transmissions for these cars, just sitting there. According to the guy, "They just never go bad... we can't sell them!" So through my dad's shop, I'll be able to get one for ~$200.

When I get this car on the road, I'll finally be able to baby both the Turtle Van and my Spirit. :kiss3:

Now to wait to hear back from someone who can help me expand my driveway...... :cookoo: :dunno_black: :icon_mrgreen:

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9154 on: August 26, 2020, 05:54:46 PM »
Yeah I've never worked with vinyl either so it'll be interesting to see how you go!

$349???? That's probably $AU550 to 600 and over here you wouldn't even get a piece of junk for that, nice score!!  :woohoo:

Sounds like you'll have a pretty decent car for $500  :thumb: :bowdown:
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline yamahonkawazuki

• Resident MonoPod
  • Global Moderator
  • Motorcycle God!
  • -Dum spiro spero (while i breathe, i hope)
« Reply #9155 on: August 28, 2020, 09:00:57 AM »
 :whisper:ooohhhhh that I like .
I'm in my condo. On a self quarantine.
 :technical: :technical: :technical:
Was diagnosed last week with a double pneumonia, as well as many lung nodules.plus being a heart patient... I'm in a quandry. The covid is in this building, idk how many more. The two things on my person... Are on the covid list. I don't have a fever 🤒 yet. Couple days was at 99.1 which is extremely weak. And it passed. Cough is still developing. If it gets me it won't be pretty. If I get out it's very late at night. Nothing is open. Have to have it drop shipped. I.e.  delivered and left at door. Sooo I stay indoors and play video games on my ryZen 5 . Heh I need more games. Anyways enough of my woe is me LMAO. :2guns: :technical: :thumb: :technical:
Aaron
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9156 on: August 28, 2020, 12:18:09 PM »
Geeez you're in the wars again Yama!!! Stay safe, glad to hear you have some entertainment at least  :thumb:

From what I understand not having a fever is a good sign, but take care!
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline yamahonkawazuki

• Resident MonoPod
  • Global Moderator
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #9157 on: August 28, 2020, 04:30:39 PM »
Today it was 99.2 my normal is 97.3 so I feel it. They want me to quarantine for the pneumonia . Cause I guess of anyone else was sick it would f**k me over. This beer virus of it hits me could be it for me. I'm a diabetic, and a heart patient. Attack in 2016 and congestive heart failure. This time it's double pneumonia and cold . Sumb*tch lol two weeks in a 477 ft/SQ apt condo is going to suck. If anything I'll escape at night and go outside.
Aaron
".
A proud Mormon

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9158 on: August 29, 2020, 12:15:44 PM »
Yep you gotta be careful with it Yama, quarantine will suck alright though! Yama during the day then at night...  :angeldevil:
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline yamahonkawazuki

• Resident MonoPod
  • Global Moderator
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #9159 on: August 29, 2020, 05:19:32 PM »
I sneak outside sometimes. But having a double pneumonia and lesions of something else bgets ahold of me I'm done for.  Tbh would be faster to have it dealt with in a hospital setting.vbut at this level they bwont take me. Has to develop and get worse before they do. An indefinite wait in my home. This pneumonia keeps Festering at this level.vwont go away. As I said could be dealt with far faster in a hospital setting. I'll go in when it gets to that level. Prob is that level is near death lol. Anyhoo I'll update as it develops.
Aaron
".
A proud Mormon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk